Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We lost our corn to coons last year and don't want a repeat. We have heard squash vines will keep them out of the corn and planted lots of it. I recently heard a radio playing at night will keep them out also. The cost of electric fence is keeping it out of consideration.
Any tips will be appreciated.
I will read all posts, thanks.
Charles

·
Registered
112 Posts
A 12 guage works. My father uses a battery powerd electric fence. I think it ran about $70 with fence wire and posts.

JAKE

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
WHITE, BLINKING Christmas lights !!! Their eyes can not adjust quick enough between blinks, so they stay away from them !!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Then cook them up for Supper. :haha:

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
You might think this is a silly answer but what I do is buy the cheapest bag of dog food I can find and when the corn starts coming in (the coons know when to start on it) I put a dish of dog food (dry) a real good way away from the corn and I figure they fill up on that and don't want to work to get the corn. To me the value of the corn far outways the cost of the dog food.

·
Premium Member
7,154 Posts
I've put a radio and a drop light in the middle of the sweetcorn and didn't loose any corn to coon when I did. I also have a live trap set year around to relocate the varmits. I caught a little coon last week smaller than a ***** cat, but he was the meanest growlingest, toughest little bugger I ever caught. Possums have knocked down sweetcorn for us once. He got in the trap, and no more corn was damaged.
An all night Rap station should keep coons from even getting close to the corn.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Unc, an all nite rap station would keep ME away from the corn!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thought of opening our property to coonhunters for a few years in order to lower the population. They seem to be getting out of hand here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like Rita's plan. It reminded me of the time that I had problems with field mice.
Mixed some plaster of paris (the stuff that is used to make cast.)
The mice eat the mix and then you go out with your golf club
and practice long range golf driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts