Any commissary shoppers?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by poppy, Feb 8, 2005.

1. poppy

poppy Guest

Do any of you military or retired folks shop at a base commissary? I haven't been in one in a while and the nearest one is about 100 miles away. Just wondered what their prices were like nowadays.

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

they always have a lot of veggies more kinds then the store and very fresh and ciggs thats about the only things we buy there

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I shop at the commissary for only a few things. A fair amount of the prepared foods are probably cheaper, but I don't use those. I do buy soft drinks there...the six packs of bottles, that I can take to school (the screw cap is needed) Those run about $1.99 /six-pack.

They're also the only place around here that carries Maple bacon...and I don't even want to look at the price.

Mostly, though, I shop the circulars, and do much better.

Meg

4. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

Gosh, I remember the commissary. I really liked the PX though...

5. Running Wild

Running Wild Well-Known Member

I shop the commissary whenever I get the chance and when I do, I'd say I save at least 33% over what I usually spend. Unfortunately, the nearest commissary is 90 miles away from us, so I don't get there as often as I'd like.

6. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

When in the city we use the commissary. The one big advantage in South Dakota is not having to pay the sales tax on ALL food items here

7. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Here (UK) we buy everything but eggs and milk at the com's'y- saves us about 50% off UK prices tho nothing vs US prices- even tho we can only get there every week or two (1 hr drive, where our US mail is). In the US I found that it had more foreign foods than some local stores (tho a lot of the bigger groceries in big mil towns have Korean and German foods to satisfy the military/family appetites), cost a bit less item by item brandequivalent, but had no generics so overall not the best place to do ALL your shopping. I'd go every two months and get the brand names of which we can't stand the generic versions.

PX not better in price than local discount stores but as mil on the move gives better guarantees we can implement down the road at the next PX. Also their salesclerks and their whole setup is not to MAXIMIZE profit so when things get marked down at the PX you can do really well- my DH is often bringing home "This $500 electr device was used/returned/still works/ marked down to $40 and they STILL gave me the 6 free movies it came with new so my purchase COST them $20!!!"

8. bergere

bergere Just living Life

We used to shop at the commissary, until we moved down here. We will still go, but only say every 6 months. We buy stuff like TP, can soup, DH's chips..etc..etc.. and some food from Overseas that we like and can't buy any where else.

I do not buy meat or fresh Veggies from them, as they are not grown Certified organic. Sadly my body can no longer handle food that has pesticides on or in it.

9. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Some things are good priced and others are not. You just have to know what they are going for in the stores.

10. markcollette

markcollette Member

FYI, if you like, you can still check out any commissary prices online. Here is the web site if you are interested:

http://www.commissaries.com/

Cheers,

Mark