Any Childless Homesteaders??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MississippiSlim, Nov 22, 2005.

1. MississippiSlim

MississippiSlim Well-Known Member

My wife and I do not have and choose not to have children. Are there any others here that are "just the two of you"

I find that we have few friends anymore ecause once our married friends have kids their interests become so different than ours.

2. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

i'm childless, but thats because i havent found a chick crazy enough to throw her lot in with me yet.

why are you childless by choice? you are going against your genes man!

3. MississippiSlim

My wife and I just have never felt the desire to have or raise children. Our lives are whole with just the two of us. We enjoy the time we spend together and we enjoy the freedom to do as we please without worrying about scheduling a babysitter, etc. Not that we don't like children its just that we like to borrow them and give them back! :) I guess we are just different than most people. Luckily we found each other.

4. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

By "children" I assume that you are referring to the 2-legged variety? DH and I haven't got any of those, but we have a whole bunch of the 4-legged kind.

5. MississippiSlim

Yeh, well, no, well...the homo sapien variety...we do have a bunch of chickens and they are two legged!

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    After my grandfather said, 'you kids were yanked up by the hair of your heads', I descited to avoid kids in my life. A good thing, I could not have fed them a few times without outside help. I would not allow outside help in raising kids- so I avoided them. There is no requirements to do such anywhere I can find in the rule book. Now I get to choose my own nurseing home.....

7. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

I'm a single female homesteader, and I choose to not have, nor do I want kids......I have a nehpew, and a good friends daughter to spoil....... :dance: I love kids, but just didn't ever see why I should have any....never really had a huge urge to have any...thought I did once......but I got over it pretty quickly.................I like being able to do my own thing, without kids...have been told that makes me selfish, but I ask, who is really selfish, the person who chooses NOT to have kids because they really don't want them? Or the person that has kids, IN SPITE of the fact that they don't really want them??? :cool: I see so many kids who really aren't loved by their parents....and that makes me sad for those kids.........

8. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We don't have any children.
    It's probably the only reason we can afford to homestead!

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

well me and dw dont have any but that is becouse they are grown and out on there own in january the forth grandchild will be here

10. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

Just us and our 4 footed babies here. One of em is my avatar ;)

11. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

No, I'm only 16 ( 17 in December).

I however believe in letting God plan my family.

12. TC2

TC2 Active Member

Tony and I are also childless, but not by choice.
    Infertility can be a real witch.

Our hope is that finances in the future allow us to add to our family, but in the meantime we work closer to our homesteading dreams.

13. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

We don't have children, because I just couldn't have any... wanted them badly. I can see where they'd be very helpful around the homestead tho!

I always felt I was meant to be a mother; I love kids. But our animals are our kids. I just adopt all our neighbors and friends' kids!

14. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

Childless here also, Not by choice, Was never able to have them, so I fill my space with the 4 legged kind, seems I always have to get a new baby something or other, guess I still get that nurtering feeling inside!!!!

15. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

Just like you Slim, we chose not to have any. At first we planned it but the older we got the more we saw what influences we would be working against to bring up someone to be what we would consider "normal".

16. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

Ditto us.....childless by choice. Did raise a nephew my ---- sister abandoned for a few years. He turned out OK in spite of us and her......ahahahahaa

17. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

Well, I have not moved from the city to my homestead as yet. There is a chance that I will make the move without my wife. However, back to the original question;

18. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband doesn't have children, but I have two grown ones (ages 24 and 22). I haven't been able to have children since I was 23 and hubby didn't marry until he met me seven years ago. We have discussed adoption, but we're in our late 40s now and I just can't see surviving the teenage years again. So we have six dogs and six cats. They're our kids.

19. MississippiSlim

Most folks can't believe it when we tell them we are childless of our own choice. They always say, well you will change your mind....that kind of ticks me off. No we most probably won't as we have een married 7 years and have felt like this the whole time. It is as if some folks think youare not complete unless you have kids. I don't understand this...I am like "you may feel that way but not everyone does and it makes them no less human" Not that we couldn't use the extra help around the place though.... :) I am happy for those that have kids cause if it weren't for them the human race would be dwindling but it just ain't for us.

Unfortunately I don't think we know anyone who is married and either has kids or is planning to have kids. Therefore we end up having friends who are older and their children are no longer home or younger and single. Odd....

20. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

We started our place without any, and just this year my youngest (12 yrs)moved here. Current hubby and I both didn't want children, both of us where refused surgery at 18 years old. Both of us are fixed now. We each have 2 sons from former marriages, due to failed birth control.