Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About ten days ago two kittens showed up on my back patio. Both charcoal, about a pound each, one bob tail and one long tail.
Sucker that I am, I cannot let them starve, so I put out water and food. In two days the long tail cat is gone---I assume varmnts but a week later I see that cat way down by the lake. The bob-tail kitten has taken up residence here. I put out a handful of feed morning and evening, a bowl of water. This morning about six fifteen I sat in my chair with my cup of coffee and the blooming cat jumped up in my lap. The cat stuck its head under my hand and rolled around, apparently wanting me to scratch its ears, which I did. Confirmed---If I quit rubbing its ears the cat at once stuck its head back under my hand and rolled to look at me.

Cat people??? Doe s this mean that cat has bugs in its ears? Does it need treatment of xome kind? I am not in need of another dependent, but I won't let tje damned cat suffer/

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
No I am not a cat person.
I had an orange Tabby as a kid that was the fear of our neighborhood and loyal as a dog to me. He died.
Since then my wife and kids have had nothing but clawless, toothless, neurosis filled felines that do little more than shed and throw litter across the floor. The present two require special cat food and will hide for an entire weekend if company is here.
I brought home a kitten a few weeks ago with the intent of using him as a barn cat and a mouser.
He has already been set upon by family members attempting to domesticate him. The sooner I can throw him out the back door and towards the outbuildings the better.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I‘m not a huge cat person either, but like you, I couldn’t let them starve. We currently have three porch kitties (all strays) that live, well, on the front porch. They have heated houses for the winter as well as a heated waterer, so they do quite well living outdoors. Two of them are great hunters and did away with the chipmunks. Now they are working on the shrews and the occasional mouse. The third cat is a senior, blind/deaf on her right side from a BB that’s stuck in her head - she was apparently used for target practice before she came to us; she still has quite a few BBs in her. 😔 I concur with the other posters, I think your new cat is just wanting some love. Check out your county’s humane society/shelter and see if they offer low cost vet care (vaccines), if you are going to keep him/her outside. Also, please check into low cost spay/neuter, the shelter should be able to help out with that, or at least direct you an organization that can. I paid $58 to get one of my dogs and one of the cats vaccinated this past spring. For the other two cats, it was $52. My regular vet charges $44 just to walk through the door. Thank you for having a heart and feeding a homeless cat!

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
The kitten could have ear mites but this behaviour is also marking you as family. It is affection and asking to be taken care of. Also appreciation for the food etc. People really do not understand the deep intelligence of cats as well as their capacity to really bond and love other cats, humans or other dogs because of so much stereotyping, misinformation and especially all the tall tales. and superstitions. We have had .6 black cats and they were all gorgeous, loving and fun. No bad luck caused by them.

Each cat is a real individual. The other kitten may be more feral or just enjoy living a wild life. When the weather becomes cold and snowy you should keep your eye out for his return and need for help.

. You might as well accept that you are now a person who has a cat. You never own a cat. I hope you get the same enjoyment that we have always had.

My husband found a kitten with an injured leg in the barn 40 years ago and Pumpkin became our first cat. Since them we have had more than 30 cats (people just love to dump cats in the country). We found homes for many of them but ended up with 12 or our own over the years. I am a dog person but now I am a cat person as well. Husband is an animal person period and he always wanted cats along with the dogs. They are amazing animals..

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Ear mites.

The three ways to get rid of ear mites in kittens and cats are as follows:
  1. Cleaning the ear: The first step to getting rid of ear mites from the kitten’s ear is to get as many mites out of the ear canal as possible by cleaning the ear. Coconut oil, olive oil, or an over the counter ear cleaning solution, which is available at pet stores, may be used to clean the ear. Several drops of the ear cleaning solution or warm oil should be put into the ear canal and gently massaged. Massaging will dislodge the impacted debris and bring it up to the outer part of the ear where it can be wiped away with a cotton ball or tissue. Using cotton swabs (Q-tips) should be avoided. This may be repeated till the ears are completely clean. Ear cleaning may be followed by using an ear miticide.
  2. Using an ear miticide: Pyrethrin is a natural insecticide available in formulations that are specifically used in kittens and cats. One may consult with a vet on an appropriate ear miticide to be used. The directions of use on the products’ labels should be followed carefully. Multiple cleaning and treatments with ear drops are required to completely get rid of ear mites because even one surviving female mite or eggs will cause reinfection.
  3. Preventing the kitten from being reinfested: Ear mites may be buried deep within the kitten’s fur; hence, they also need regular treatment with flea products to get rid of mites in their body. Mites can adhere to carpets and upholstery. The house needs to be frequently vacuumed to remove the mites and their eggs. Although mites need a host to survive, they can easily lay eggs anywhere in the house. These mites rarely affect humans because the mites that can affect humans are different. Although it is possible to develop allergies because of those mites.
If you keep the kitten as an indoor and outdoor pet then it will need to go to the vet for vaccines which will prevent some of the worst cat diseases. We also had all of our cats, dogs and those who were with us until they found permanent homes vaccinated against rabies because we lived in an area where there was rabies and it was also the law..

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Cats that like you always want their head and ears scratched, it seems. I could have been squishing ear mites all this time! :oops:

For a happy useful cat, set up a cat door in a shed that has some shelves with cushions to sit on. In extremely cold weather, run a brooder light hung higher so they down singe their tail or fur. Get them their shots and get them fixed. Feed them regularly so they do not wander and hunt too much afar and get eaten by something else. They will keep the mice, squirrels, rabbits and other harmful rodents down. And they will enjoy their freedom and also enjoy your attention while killing those destructive mice. Win-win, except for the birds. If you have cats, don't feed the birds!

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you keep the kitten as an indoor and outdoor pet then it will need to go to the vet for vaccines which will prevent some of the worst cat diseases. We also had all of our cats, dogs and those who were with us until they found permanent homes vaccinated against rabies because we lived in an area where there was rabies and it was also the law..
It’s important that the outdoor cats are vaccinated as well, especially those living out in the country. FIV and FeLeuk are rampant in feral colonies and can be easily spread to a barn cat or other outdoor “porch” cats. One of my neutered males is always coming home in the morning with some fresh battle wounds, and we hear him on occasion fighting with other cats that dare to come onto our property. He’s the first to go in each spring for his shots. I’m just grateful we can get it done without costing hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I absolutely agree. Vaccinated and being spayed and neutered is vitally important for all cats - indoor or outdoor or revolving doors. The gestation period for a cat is 58 to 67 day. Research shows that one cat can give birth to up to 180 kittens in a lifetime. They are also much calmer in personality when they are spayed or neutered. Not as anxious to fight for a Queen's attention. However nothing will stop the hunting instinct so mouse and bird gifts will continue.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I absolutely agree. Vaccinated and being spayed and neutered is vitally important for all cats - indoor or outdoor or revolving doors. The gestation period for a cat is 58 to 67 day. Research shows that one cat can give birth to up to 180 kittens in a lifetime. They are also much calmer in personality when they are spayed or neutered. Not as anxious to fight for a Queen's attention. However nothing will stop the hunting instinct so mouse and bird gifts will continue.
regardless of why the kitten is behaving so lovingly, if you plan to keep it and feed give it shelter and warmth over the winter, vet it, nueter it, then take it to a a vet and have it "fixed" . If you do not have those intentions pleas take it to a shelter where they can do all those things and find it a home. She cannot fend for herself in the wild...that just doesn't happen. Do the right thing and take her to the shelter. They do not charge.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Holy damn Smoke!!!!! I did not get this much advice when choosing a wife, nor did anyone suggest that she would cost so much. This cat may get some oil in her ears, but we are NOT family. Food and shelter she can have---but she does NOT go on the payroll. By the way---I looked in her ears---they look clean to me. I see these begging ads on the internet where people ask for money for shelters. CATS and DOGS, not kids. Never did understand why people will send a calf, a pig, a goat to slaughter but will spend big dollars to feed, neuter, vet and shelter a worthless stray dog or cat. THEY ARE ANIMALS, not people. If an owl or a coyote takes one there is precious little lost. I suspect this is a reflection of how effete our population has become.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,623 Posts
Holy damn Smoke!!!!! I did not get this much advice when choosing a wife, nor did anyone suggest that she would cost so much. This cat may get some oil in her ears, but we are NOT family. Food and shelter she can have---but she does NOT go on the payroll. By the way---I looked in her ears---they look clean to me. I see these begging ads on the internet where people ask for money for shelters. CATS and DOGS, not kids. Never did understand why people will send a calf, a pig, a goat to slaughter but will spend big dollars to feed, neuter, vet and shelter a worthless stray dog or cat. THEY ARE ANIMALS, not people. If an owl or a coyote takes one there is precious little lost. I suspect this is a reflection of how effete our population has become.
I still live in the 60's and 70's, but I think you might still be living in the 50's or even the 40's. As families started having fewer kids, pets became substitute children.

·
Premium Member
42,991 Posts
I see you’re in the “they’re just animals” camp. Mans best friend is often more valuable than you realize. Besides love and affection many save lives, some even become decorated war hero’s. My father in law served with a canine in Viet Nam. While the father in law received two medals of valor he credits his k9 for the actual action involved. WWI one may have had an entirely different outcome had a beagle not taken to the sky’s and brought down the Red Baron!

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,419 Posts
In our country cats and dogs and horses are chiefly pet animals. Not so in other countries (which is their business, protein is protein). Since people don't eat cats and dogs, they're dumped or ill-cared for. Shelter animals are largely there indirectly or directly from human folly.

I have an uncle who doesn't have a bond with any animals, and that's fine. He's not the empathetic sort and a lot of people are.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts