Any budget move suggestions???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Treesaw100, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Treesaw100

Treesaw100 New Member

Hello. I love this site and read it often! Very sound advice and enjoyable, too!I need some help. I am on a very tight budget and live here in the suburbs of Chicago. Three and a half years ago I purchased a farm in northwest missouri. I've been trying to make the leap to Missouri ever since, but I probably have 2 semi loads of stuff to move from Chicago to Missouri. I've been collecting stuff, mostly antiques, for many years and would like to start my own business there. As I have done a lot of pricing on self-move truck rentals, it may be even wiser to just purchase a box truck. I generally go to Missouri 1-2 times per month and I figure if I buy a 12-15 footer I can get there soon enough. Anyhow, thought I would ask because this group always has wonderful ideas. Thanks for your help!!! :)

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Since it sounds like you have so much, perhaps you can purchase an old semi-trailer and find a trucker to "backhaul" it for you. Look in the yellow pages under trailers. Make sure that it is at least good enough to license and is mechanically sound for the trip. You can then use the trailer for storage in your new location or sell it.

There are some trucking companies that will drop a trailer for you to load then deliver it to your destination.

Dale (DH of Mary, TX)

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I am curious. Were you wanting to sell on E-bay, open a store, or???

I love northwest Missouri, by the way, though jobs can be hard to find. The soil is good, the rolling hills are pretty and not expensive, and the people are friendly.

Oh, one other thing.... figure the cost of gas for many trips, vs. the rental price of a really large U-haul and one trip. Gas is really expensive right now and it really can add up. BTDT.

4. Ragamuffin2004

Ragamuffin2004 Well-Known Member

When my family and I moved from central Fla to north Florida, we bought a used schoolbus, ripped out the seats, used it as a moving truck for our stuff, then when we put our stuff in rented storage, and turned the bus into a camper to live in until we found jobs.

Gas prices what they are, it would probably cost a small fortune to run it, but a used schoolbus in good condition can be found for $1000 or less in this part of the country. After moving, it could be lived in, used for storage or animal housing, or sold. It's not economical to use as a camper to travel the country, but for self-moving and a cheap place to live for a while after a move, an old school bus can't be beat.

5. Treesaw100

Treesaw100 New Member

Terri:
    Yes, I have sold on Ebay...although not currently. I'll start selling on ebay again when I arrive in MO. I'm also hoping to be able to sell antiques from my barn until I'm able to build a small store (or rent a store).

Yes, I am sure jobs are hard to find there. I will have to downsize the budget significantly, but in the long run...I think the quality of life will improve significantly.

I too love the rolling hills! All my trips to MO, working trips by the way...are like vacations. I love working on the house!

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

6. HSHunter

HSHunter New Member

There's a moving company out there that will drop off a container at your address. You do the packing and loading, when it's full call them back up and they come and get the container and truck it to your destination.

I can't for the life of me remember their name right now, but it wouldn't be hard to do a search and find them. I's about the cheapest way you can move something and not drive it yourself.

Larry

7. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

Having done the U-haul route, I would agree on your idea of purchasing a box truck. We just bought a 1996 Isuzu 14' box truck diesel. I will use it for hauling 2 tons of rabbit food once every 2 months, and hay, household type of things. It was under 4000 here in Washington. Look at trucktrader.com for some great deals. Another nice thing, once you get all moved over, you can use it for storage.
    Good luck! Nan.

8. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Try abf or another LTL company -- u pack they ship can keeps costs lower that way.

9. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

You didn't ask for other options, but for what its worth it might be a good idea to sell as much as you can now instead of moving it. Besides the expense there is risk for damage. Also, I'm sure sales prices would be higher in the city. Estate sales abound in Iowa/Missouri due to elderly population downsizing or dying. You'd save the cost of moving everything which would free up that money plus what you made selling for restocking. Of course, I'm sure you have personal antiques you won't want to part with but moving a household is certainly not as big an undertaking as moving antique stock.

10. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

its called pods i know they dont go to ar. i dont know about where your going