Any breeders of Kuvasz or Great Pyr's?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Jan 26, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

My old girl is not long for this world, but would like another (without dysplasia!!!) to replace her when the time comes. Just would like someone to keep in mind for when I'm ready. She instinctivly slept by the pig pen when I first got pigs, and at 7 years old,(and no 'formal' guardian training) I found that amazing! Though she is not pure, she still is a great guardian!

2. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

J...

Look at the rescue sites.. SPCA's .. you know all breeds have rescue sites.. google dog breed name & rescue.. or even general dog rescue sites .. sadly

KC~

3. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Jackie,

go to http://lgd.org and click on the pictures at the top of the page of the breed you are interested in. There is also a discussuion group LGD-L list you can sign up for to find a breeder.

You do know to get a dog that has a health guarantee will cost a bit more but oh so worth it.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

jackie, just before my Kuvasz passed on at age 12 I reserved a Kuvasz pup with a very reputable Canadian breeder in Brantford. Unfortunately, my personal circumstance with a marriage breakup terminated that idea. I was sad and apologized to the breeder and hopefully in the future I would try and get one from them. They are the best, and Olga Schmidt, the breeder is first rate to get info on the breed. Unfortunately, it won't be cheap and there is likely a waiting list. Might not hurt to talk to her though.
    One thing about going the route with dogs from breeding that are HD clear is that burden of grief and cost to put up with dysplasia is more probem than getting a good healthy dog to begin with, even if the cost is some more.
    (consider that hip surgery can run into the hundreds of dollars).

Kuvasz

[​IMG]

also visit the kuvasz club of Canada:

Kuvasz Club of Canada

5. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We bought our 3 Great Pyrenees from BriarGlen /Graymar Pyrenees in British Columbia. They are extremely reputable, have run huge flocks of sheep on clear cuts with their Pyrz, and the dogs are very stable temperamentally which was important to us, as they are SO large and we have children. Here is a link to them: http://www.islandnet.com/ragdoll/pyrenees/prices.html
    Another good breeder I have visited in WA is Kindred Pyrz: www.kindredpyrz.com
    Both breeders will ship puppies to you.

6. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

My mother raised Kuvasz from 1988 until 2000, and we still show occasionally. Most of our guys are just retired and hanging out on the farm now. The breeder I would recommend is Cindy Pierce in southern New Jersey. Very nice lady, with excellent dogs -- she got involved in the breed through rescue, and has rescued numerous dogs over the years. Most of her canine pals are rescues for that matter. :p

I would recommend contacting her, if you're interested either in getting a rescue dog or in getting a puppy. I'm not sure when she's planning on a second litter, but I do know that she fully health-screens her breeding stock; this is a very important factor, especially screening for hip displaysia.

She is very dedicated to the breed, and loves the dogs. She's going to Westminster in NYC in February; we're hoping she can beat the politics that tend to run heavily with some judges, and make it to the "group ring". Her Jess-man deserves it.

Anyway, whether you're looking to help out a young rescue dog, or work with a puppy, I highly recommend her. Her email address is KUVASZMOM @ aol . com, but without the spaces. I just put those in there to prevent spam. ;)

--Hannah

7. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

One more link to try out:

http://www.pfne.org/nepr.php?head=rescue&nav=rescue&text=rescue

I've worked with this group and they are good. Some folks better than others but overall they are very good. As Linda hinted at, temperament is also very important (even more than health in my book). Please be careful and do plenty of homework before deciding on a breeder. I didn't figure pedigrees mattered when I got our first Pyr so I went with an unregistered dog. He and at least one other pup from that litter both had serious mental problems and started attacking people without provocation. His eyes would glaze over and he'd go after anything in sight, including my kids and me. Our second Pyr was a rescue and he is absolutely wonderful! I'd go back in a heartbeat and pay 5x what we paid for our first Pyr to avoid that heartache of having to put him to sleep. That was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do. I wish more people would pay attention to temperament in breeding programs to save a lot of people a lot of heartache. I think the breed is wonderful but this issue is rarely discussed and something we never came across when doing extensive research before we got our fist Pyr. It isn't just confined to Pyrs - all LGD breeds have problems with it to varying degrees. Pyrs are currently more overbred than some others so it probably shows up in them more often.

8. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Longshadow,
    I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said except one point. After a lot of research on the LGD breeds, we decided on Great Pyrz because (on the whole)they tend to be temperamentally more stable than the other breeds according to what I've found on the internet thru LGD sites and by talking to breeders. Which certainly doesn't mean that the other LGD breeds are vicious...we just wanted to minimize risk as much as possible. Perhaps because there are more GP's than the other LGD breeds, the gene pool is more varied, and inbreeding less likely to occur. I dunno. We initially thought we wanted a Maremma. There is a breeder locally, but we changed our minds and went with Pyrz after doing more research. Anyway, I will say that our three guys from the breeder in BC are the sweetest teddy bears around..unless you are a bear or cougar. They have never growled, snapped, or exhibited dominating behavior with us or the kids, and I have caught my youngest trying to ride them! They also won't let the kids out of their sight if the kids decide to walk into the woods. They always have a Pyr bodyguard with them!
    Anyway, like you, I'd rather spend the money up front to know I have a dog that I won't be sued over and won't hurt anyone.

9. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Google for "Anatolian Rescue" - awesome group to work with, DO adopt out working dogs, particularly those who can't be adopted to homes BECAUSE they are from working homes & are not socialized with people particularly.

10. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the responses. I am looking for a healthy pup, and will pay for a guaranteed dysplasia free. I'm currently nursing one afflicted with this horrible disease and don't want to go through it again, I hate watching her suffer! I do want a young one that can be trained for the job. Knowing that these dogs don't have a long lifespan, don't care to consider an older dog. I can only go through so much death! Rescues are great, but you'll always risk having ingrained problems with these dogs, that I'm currently not prepared to deal with.

11. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Sorry I meant Lisa, not Linda! Read that handle too fast :eek:

There are two different aggression issues at work in the LGDs. The first is a natural aggression built into a breed that is designed to protect. Despite the great nature of our current Pyr, there are people he meets that he truly dislikes. I suspect he senses something I don't in some of those cases. Many LGDs have particular ideas about how a stranger is introduced, ours included. If the person is not properly introduced and/or accompanied, they don't get in. That is normal, expected behavior of a guardian. You are right that Pyrs are the least apt to have serious problems with this kind of aggression.

There is a second kind of aggression that is NOT normal. It is often called "rage syndrome" and is most commonly associated with Springer Spaniels. It is a mental illness similar to bipolar disorder in people. It is even sometimes treated with the same drugs as people with bipolar. It usually shows up in dogs when they hit 2 years of age and gets progressively worse as the dogs get older. This is the issue I was referring to above. I should have been more clear.

12. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

There is a girl on these forums from around St Lawrence county NY in USA who raises them. If you would like I can send her your email addy and she can contact you. She isn't on too much as she has just had baby # 4. I have seen her dogs along with her other animals and kids. If I were looking for this breed I would buy from her.