any body farm commercially

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by longshot38, Jan 9, 2007.

1. longshot38

longshot38 Well-Known Member Supporter

i know most folks here "homestead" but does any body here farm on a commercially for their primary income? if so what do you grow and how do you market your crop.

dean

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I farm commercially raising pine trees and feeder beef cattle. I sell the trees through a bidding process and the calves are sold through an auction barn.

3. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

We milk 80 cows, work 800 acres, have a 200ish acre woodlot. We grow corn, soybeans, winter wheat, alfalfa, barley/peas/oats, sometimes straight barley. Sell our milk through Dairy Farmers of Ontario, cull cows and bull calves through our local sales barn, sell extra corn, soybeans and wheat either through our local elevator or another elevator using a lot of forward contracts, sell some extra straw mostly through word of mouth, if we have extra hay the same. We sell firewood through the newspaper, pulp wood to the paper mill, and saw logs, veneer and shaver logs by private auction. Also do custom round baling, bale wrapping, no-till seeding, a little bit of corn planting, once in a while some tillage or manure spreading.

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

DH and I milk 60 dairy cows. We sell our milk through AMPI (American Milk Producers Inc.). Our cull cows and steers are sold through the National Farmers Organization. We also sell feeder pigs. All of those of direct marketed.

Heather

5. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Mostly corn or soy beans now,they sell thru the local elavator ,did raise sheep and hogs, they mostly sold thru a livestock auction locally.
    This was about 1/2 my income now its around 1/3
    At one point the farm unit (me Dad and brother) was around 1800 acres that was mostly corn and beans

6. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

My commercial operation depends on several projects. I raise timothy hay, oats and apple trees. I have had milk cows, raised beef cows, pigs and several hundred chickens. I have raised most of my vegetables (at one time I had over 3 acres of vegetables under cultivation) and forage for many kinds of fruits, nuts and berries. I have worked draft horses in field work and woods work and have raised colts, a couple as the result of artificial insemination. I remodeled my own home and several others for cash during slow times. I have cut, hand split and sold firewood. I have operated a bandsaw mill to make and sell lumber. I haul neighbors cattle and sheep to Livestock Auctions.
    I'm a farrier,I trim horse hooves and fit and nail horse shoes.

7. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

I LIKE IT!! (tongue in swollen cheek)

Ha-Ha!

You MIGHT BE a relative of mine.....
    -Bruce-

8. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

We raise commercial chickens, we currently have 114,000.

9. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Haypoint--you need to be looking out for open calls for the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. Brilliant.

10. Highland

Highland Well-Known Member

I milk 25 cows.Milk is sold thru Dairy Marketing Services.Cull cows and bull calves get sold at the local market.Also raise 2 acres of burley tobacco.

Highland