Any Birdwatchers

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by fitwind, Jan 2, 2007.

1. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

Does anyone do any birdwatching? I love to sit and look out the window and watch them. I made a bird table out of tree log so I could watch them. I put some things (that DH makes)up for the woodpeckers too .My favorite bird is the cardinal I think their beautiful. I wasn't use to seeing so many different birds coming from Vegas. I get so much enjoyment out of watching them :) . I even get excited when I see a new bird I haven't seen before :p (I must be weird) . Nature is a beautiful thing. What is your favorite bird? Do you like birdwatching?

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Me! Me! Normally I don't fill a birdfeeder in the winter, but grow many things that I leave for feeding the birds naturally all winter (and summer, for that matter). But this year I was given a birdfeeder and am getting used to the idea of checking to see if it had been filled. It's actually not terribly close to the house.

At any rate, yesterday I took the feeder down, walked back to the porch, set it down and then got too busy to fill it for a day. I had cardinals and bluebirds landing on the porch all day to check it out and see if it had been filled. THEY RECOGNIZED the feeder when it was not on the tree and was many yards from the tree. I thought that was interesting and of course I should have known they could. If they could see it, why didn't they notice it was empty?

We have a pair of blue herons that live here and this year had a flock of white herons stop for the longest time. Wonder if they will come back and stay as the blue herons did.

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

We have feeders everywhere. The wild finches are in now, and devouring the thistle seed. We have cardinals, doves, chickadees,bluejays, crows, you name it. Once in a great while we will see a woodpecker. The favorite feeder for the sparrows is one DH had the neighbor make for us, just a square piece of metal with a long spike in the center, will hold a whole loaf of bread, and it is attached to a big pole. They love the bread, even the squirrels visit daily.

4. 1234gman

1234gman Member

one of the things i most enjoy on the farm is watching birds, to the point of having binoculars at hand most of the time. it is a side benefit of being organic

5. sewing nana

sewing nana Well-Known Member

I feed all year round. Hummingbirds, finch, cardinal, etc. We enjoy them so much.

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

One of a kind white headed female Cardinal:
    [​IMG]

7. fitwind

Ohhhhhhhh!! I'm not the only one!!!!! I also love putting up nestboxes. I love watching what kind of birds I get in them. I was luck and had 3 set of house finches use a basket last year. I almost got real lucky and had some bluebirds nest in a box but the sparrows ran them out and dumped out their eggs it was soooooo sad =( .
    I was also lucky enough to find a babay barn swallow (he was on a dock when I went to the lake). we named him CHEEP_CHEEP it was hard work feeding him (we caught grasshoppers to feed him). I can't wait to see if he returns this year. Birdwatching is so coooooooooool !!!!!!!!

8. fitwind

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh she is pretty!!!!!!! That must be really rare I haven't seen anything like her......Thanks for showing me :) .

9. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

Hummers come here in summer by the hundreds. The calliope hummer is my favorite. I love the female cardinal against the snow the best. Too many to list!!!

Pat

10. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

I like to.My younger ds loves to watch birds.He is always getting bird feeders and watching from some where to see if his treats are eaten.

11. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

Count me in!! Just today we went to the feed store & got sunflower seed ( I learned a few years ago that those annoring,messy starlings don't eat them, and all the "good" birds DO!! ) and suet cakes!! We have bluebirds,cardinals,titmice,nuthatches (they are among my favorites,I LOVE to watch them hang upside down on the suet feeders!!) downy and red headed woodpeckers, chickadees,etc,etc.... last year there was a GORGEOUS bird here,multicolored, that I never could identify for sure. GOT to invest in some good binoculars this year!!! I ALMOST bought some hummingbird feeders today... wonder when they return to Kansas??

12. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

We watch those that come to our feeder , we get many diferent birds some of which we have had to look up in our bird book. we dont have a white headed card but we do have a poor balled male card he got scalped by something two years ago . beatiful red bird but a ball black head .
    I guess under the feeder is good hunting as well its not unusual to see a barn owl perched on the beam near the feeder at night . when the owl first started showing up my wife swore someone was out side breathing or hissing (it was the owl) we're used to wide eyes now

13. Kstornado11

Well my chickens are owl bait. We have HUGE monster Great Horned owls here... they hang out in the trees right in the front yard & sound like a bunch of psychotic monkeys!! Lost a couple of ducks to them last summer.

14. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Cardinals bluebirds jays redheaded woodpecker of some sort blue heron lots more "LBOs" little brown ones my birding brother calls them. The woods are amazing, and all right out my windows.

15. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    I love to watch birds too(I have a list on my blog). I was buzzed once by a marbeled murrelet, and have heard spotted owl calls in winter, on the hill in back of our house nesting in second growth fir and oak (!). I've been badgered by a Kingfisher, and felt like I was in "bambi" being twittered by little kinglets. I love watching turkey vultures soar and launch and fly. We live by a lot of BLM and timber company land...you'd be surprized what lives there in the second growth and baby growth and there still is "old growth" if you know where to look. I see the most when I am wandering around the woods, by myself, aimlessly.

I LOVELOVELOVE June and July when the swainson's thrush sings at dusk. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I first heard that bird. I have to say when I hear that bird sing, I am still and know He's God :0) Best preacher I ever heard!!

16. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

Yep, yep, fellow birdwatcher here! My kids and babysittin' kids all love to watch them as well. I'm one of those that keeps the lit'l binoculars handy--mostly so I can watch our resident hawk swoop n swoosh across the fields behind us.
    I haven't seen cardinals in awhile, we had lots of 'em last year. The hummingbirds are gone for the winter, it seems, I keep the feeder fresh just in case.
    Right now, we're seeing lots o' juncos, chickadees, a titmouse or two, a resident woodpecker(he's WAY coolie), to name a few. Sparrows and doves abound here as well.
    In the past we've seen bright yellow finches, a blue jay or two, a cedar waxwing, purple finches....

I love watching the bird feeders and have plans for more feeds and a bird bath before too long. We have cats outside, I'm sure that has an impact on some of the bravado of a few birds lol, but so far many still come around.

~~Happy Watchin'!~~

17. BertaBurtonLake

BertaBurtonLake Well-Known Member

My aunt and her friend were big birders and taught me to love it too. We have feeders out plus we live on a lake with woods around so we see all kinds. In the 4 years we have lived here we have seen:
    pileated woodpecker
    ospreys
    redtailed hawks
    bald eagle
    great blue heron
    belted kingfisher
    courmorant
    red headed woodpeckers
    hairy woodpecker
    yellowbellied woodpacker
    cardinals
    juncoes
    goldfinches
    sparrows
    housewrens
    rubythroated hummers
    kestrels
    meadowlarks
    killdeer
    rufous sided towhee
    robins
    indigo buntings
    eastern bluebirdnuthatch
    and those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head

Happy birding,
    ~Berta

18. Kstornado11

Oh a birdbath is a GREAT idea!! I just filled my feeders yesterday for the first time in months, and already thismorning I have seen tufted titmouse,chickadees,cardinals,nuthatches... and a HUGE woodpecker of some sort... going to go back out in a while w/ my 3 year old & our bird book, so he can learn how to identify the different species. He came running in this morning & said he saw a "red headed birdy"... I'm thinking woodpecker, but I haven't seen him yet! Anyone know a good online site for bird identification w/ lots of pictures?

19. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I saw A golden Eagle Today ,It was about 75 feet Away. What A large and magnificent bird.

20. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

In summer put orange halves out for the oreoles and some hair if you cut your hair, string, twine, even tinsel and they will build their wonderful nests out of it.

Pat