Any bicycle machenics out there?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by r.h. in okla., May 12, 2006.

1. I just bought myself a mountain bike at the flea market for $10 buckaroos. It needs some work done to it. It looks almost brandnew but the chain tension is missing which I don't know if I need or not. I was looking for a used mountain bike to buy and convert it to a single speed bike but don't really know how. I seen on the internet where they have conversion kits for sale and read a little bit on how to convert them. But I didn't see any pictures telling me what the heck a cassette is! My first thought was "Gee, I didn't know it came with a stereo!"

Anywho, has anyone out there ever converted a multiple speed bike into a single speed? If so how is it done? And what the heck is a cassette?

2. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

The cassette is that cluster of gears on the back wheel hub. The thing that moves the chain to different gears and provides tension on the chain is call a derailleur or derailer. If that is missing, all you need to do is remove the one that's over the big sprocket. Then shorten the chain by removing links with a chain tool to fit the distance around the front sprocket and rear gear that you wish to use. You won't be able to shift, and you'll have extra gears spinning while you ride, but that's the easiest way to do it. You might as well remove the shifters from the handlebars and the cables because they won't be hooked to anything (unless they are shifter/brake units. Then just remove the shifter cables.)

3. Thanks Oggie, I thought they was talking about something inside the back axle. I was wondering why a person couldn't just run the chain around two sprockets and work. Then I got to seeing adds for conversion kits so it made me wonder if that wouldn't work doing it that way. Thanks for the clear-up, I guess I don't have a bicycle stereo afterall! :shrug:

4. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

I got a gear cluster you can have. no charge but the mail Read your PM and you can have the other info.

5. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

You won't have a coaster brake (the brake you can use by pedaling backwards). That's a part of the rear hub and you won't have that type unless you replace it, which might involve rebuilding and respoking the wheel. I think the single-speed conversion kits use a rear hub with the coaster-type bake and that's why they cost a bit.

You will have the regular brakes that come on a multi-speed bike, which work fine in most situations.

6. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

around here i pull a bike from the dumpster about once a month, check for parts and pieces that are usable and if the frame is not an expensive one, it gets retruned, sometimes the whole bike gets pulled out and tires inflated and the bike is given to a kid who needs it..... or saved for future use or garage sale....

A person would be suprised what is found at the local dumpsters around these parts that is serviceable with a little w-d 40 to free up a stuck part, usualy the tires and tubes are still intact and holding air, so they just need a little attention, but with china-mart selling new multi-speeds for under $60 most people buy the throwaways.... I also pul out the baby carts for other uses once inawhile, shoot i payed $50 for a used one 6 years ago and its still good and the kids have fun puching each other around in it, and with the attachment for trailering behind a bicycle it has other uses... a couple other ones are destined to become cart wheels for a bar-b-q wagon this summer/ next winter depending upon the time i get to work on it...... am still behind on the fire pit building and the season to use it is already upon us.... had to use the camp grill and charcoal for mothers day steaks yesterday.

William