Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Thats a important part of it yes, what the problem with that?

Also from what I read on some posts, the metal health officials would be better at responding to many of these problems. Time to let those that promote the idea actually step up and participate. Might even be interesting to let some teaching professionals join in on the front lines since many of them seem more concerned about how students feel instead of teaching.
Mental health professionals probably would be better at responding to many of these problems but in conjunction with the police, not instead of police. And I hate to break it to you and interrupt yet another anti-teacher post of yours, but, in addition to teaching, teachers are already "on the front lines" in dealing with students' mental health needs.

·
Registered
811 Posts
1. Highly unlikely that these are the calls that the social worker would be called out for.
2. I didn't suggest that criminal activity should be without consequences nor do I recall anyone else doing so.
Do you think that these cops being shot were responding, knowing the bad guy was going to pull a gun. Or that they bad guy said, I'm just arguing with my wife over small stuff, but have a gun and will get so mad I'll use it.

Or how about the shoplifter or random homeless guy who seems cooperative, but then pulls a gun and shoots a clerk in front of the social worker, then what does the social worker do?

Jeez, you live in a fairytale world.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Do you think that these cops being shot were responding, knowing the bad guy was going to pull a gun. Or that they bad guy said, I'm just arguing with my wife over small stuff, but have a gun and will get so mad I'll use it.

Or how about the shoplifter or random homeless guy who seems cooperative, but then pulls a gun and shoots a clerk in front of the social worker, then what does the social worker do?

Jeez, you live in a fairytale world.
If you recall, I said "in conjunction with" the police, not "instead of" the police. "In conjunction with" means together.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
In conjunction sounds sensible. Just let the mental health unit lead….
If they get attacked or shot at then the police are there and ready to respond immediately. There will be little doubt that way when the police actions are reviewed.

I am not anti teacher. I just think the teachers need to teach the subject and use the facts needed for their class, math does not need extensive social race and culture lesson. History class is what happened, not how does it make you feel. Seems the teachers have a hard enough job from the results being turned out.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
In conjunction sounds sensible. Just let the mental health unit lead….
If they get attacked or shot at then the police are there and ready to respond immediately. There will be little doubt that way when the police actions are reviewed.

I am not anti teacher. I just think the teachers need to teach the subject and use the facts needed for their class, math does not need extensive social race and culture lesson. History class is what happened, not how does it make you feel. Seems the teachers have a hard enough job from the results being turned out.
Perhaps you should spend some time in the classroom before you start telling teachers how to do their jobs.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Mental health professionals probably would be better at responding to many of these problems but in conjunction with the police, not instead of police. And I hate to break it to you and interrupt yet another anti-teacher post of yours, but, in addition to teaching, teachers are already "on the front lines" in dealing with students' mental health needs.
Perhaps you should spend some time in the classroom before you start telling teachers how to do their jobs.

The fact that the teachers are having to handle more than a very minor mental health problem from a student is a problem. Subjecting the rest of the class to the problems we hear about so often is another issue, should not be happening. Honestly, I do not think I could handle the administration’s and rules you teachers are working under and seem to have your unions uphold and keep in effect.

I know I could not handle the theory and ideas many teachers think are best for the children. Including some on the threads I read.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
The fact that the teachers are having to handle more than a very minor mental health problem from a student is a problem. Subjecting the rest of the class to the problems we hear about so often is another issue, should not be happening. Honestly, I do not think I could handle the administration’s and rules you teachers are working under and seem to have your unions uphold and keep in effect.

I know I could not handle the theory and ideas many teachers think are best for the children. Including some on the threads I read.
Then, once again, maybe you should stop trying to tell teachers how to do the job.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Have you ever taken your groceries thru the self checkout, and as you are scanning your yogurt and diet mr. pibb you notice a clerk is standing in the immediate area half way watching? Then of course, your bottle of stool softener tablets won't go thru and they have to come over and slide their card, input a code, rescan it and tell you "I fixed it, you can continue now."?
Then she steps back and continues to watch.
Somewhere between trying to get one of those razor thin plastic bags to peel apart and getting the look from your wife for putting the bread in the bottom of the cart, you ask yourself, "What is the point?"
Most times i check my own checking out. Saves me time and also i know the price of each item and double check the price. Have enough do it yourself computers that i don't have to wait in line for 10 plus mins. fo be checked out. I do apprecite the helper that stands by to help if an item is not maked etc They know their job and do it well.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Most times i check my own checking out. Saves me time and also i know the price of each item and double check the price. Have enough do it yourself computers that i don't have to wait in line for 10 plus mins. fo be checked out. I do apprecite the helper that stands by to help if an item is not maked etc They know their job and do it well.
Are you saving any money on that self checkout since there is so little employee paycheck involved in the process ?

:)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Are you saving any money on that self checkout since there is so little employee paycheck involved in the process ?

:)
I use the self checkout as well. No, it doesn't save money, but it does exactly what 101pigs says. It saves time, it allows me to see if pricing mistakes are made, it allows me to bag the things that are close together in my house in the same bag. It lets me do things the way I want them done. I'm fine with that costing me the same amount as having someone do things in a way I may not want them done.

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
I save money by using the self checkout. My bananas don't have canned goods dropped on them. My apples don't get bounced across the scanner. My bread doesn't end up under boxes of crackers. I don't end up with 1 perishable item hidden among cleaning supplies.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I save money by using the self checkout. My bananas don't have canned goods dropped on them. My apples don't get bounced across the scanner. My bread doesn't end up under boxes of crackers. I don't end up with 1 perishable item hidden among cleaning supplies.
When I shop, I find an empty (or mostly empty) box on a shelf about the size of a loaf of bread and snag it to put my bread in. Keeps it nice and uncrushed.

·
Registered
48 Posts

"The STAR program, which launched in June, reported promising results in its six-month progress report. The program aims to provide a "person-centric mobile crisis response" to community members who are experiencing problems related to mental health, depression, poverty, homelessness, or substance abuse issues. "

"In Eugene, the civilian response program has existed for over three decades. According to USA Today, the White Bird Clinic, a health care center in the city, launched the Crisis Assistance Helping Out on the Streets program in 1989. "

"But over a year ago, Olympia started taking a different approach to nonviolent incidents caused by someone experiencing mental illness, addiction, or homelessness. Instead of sending armed officers to respond, the city dispatches “crisis responders” to diffuse the situation and connect the individual with services—a model now being considered by a growing number of cities across the U.S. "
Essentially, problems that were caused by liberals emptying psychiatric hospitals are now to be addressed by "shrinks on the street."

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I have to say, I am quite surprised at the issues so many of you are dealing with at check out stands. The two stores I shop have a screen that faces the customer and allows me to see what is being scanned and priced. Bread and eggs are handled with some care. The only time I have a sacking issues is with frozen foods. I send them down the converter belt all together and request them in the same sack. Done deal.

If I had the same problems perhaps I would do the same. Hmm, knowing me probably not, I am the type to have them fix the packaging problem.

I sure do miss the customer service we used to get from the local IGA store. Well ran and groceries were taken to your car, even if you did not want them to usually :) The owner retired and sold out and now were dealing with the modern lack of customer service standards. Times are changing.

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
I forgot about seeing the prices. Only Sam's Club has a screen set up so you can see the prices. At the other stores you have to wait until you see the receipt then you have to see if they applied relevant coupons, sale prices and discounts.

I miss the old IGA stores. Customer service was awesome and their baggers were so good. We never got bashed fruit or smashed bread when shopping at the IGA.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Considering the number of graduates who can't read, or make change, someone should start telling the teachers something.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts