Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chicago now going to send mental health professionals instead of police for some 911 calls.

ABC7Chicago

I'm curious how Lightfoot is going to blame white people when this falls on it's face and gets a bunch of people killed. One thing I read said gang members in Chicago now outnumber police 10 to 1.

·
Registered
11,120 Posts
Chicago now going to send mental health professionals instead of police for some 911 calls.

ABC7Chicago

I'm curious how Lightfoot is going to blame white people when this falls on it's face and gets a bunch of people killed. One thing I read said gang members in Chicago now outnumber police 10 to 1.
No bets but I am curious-
Will these mental health experts be carrying cash and credit cards while on the job?
Will there be any "take your child" to work days?
Since I haven't read the Mental Expert's Bible and Official Handbook, when they arrive to witness one teen girl stabbing another teen girl, what is their protocol?
Intervene?
Talk the aggressor to slowly stop stabbing the victim?
Film it with their Iphones?
Call for backup, which would arrive shortly?

·
Registered
34,202 Posts
The OP's article, as best I could see, only mentions "mixed results" with the program. Do you have documented evidence to support an area where it is considered a success?
And what is success?

Would it be dropping the number of unarmed white men shot by police from 457, or the 241 black men?

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,819 Posts

"The STAR program, which launched in June, reported promising results in its six-month progress report. The program aims to provide a "person-centric mobile crisis response" to community members who are experiencing problems related to mental health, depression, poverty, homelessness, or substance abuse issues. "

"In Eugene, the civilian response program has existed for over three decades. According to USA Today, the White Bird Clinic, a health care center in the city, launched the Crisis Assistance Helping Out on the Streets program in 1989. "

"But over a year ago, Olympia started taking a different approach to nonviolent incidents caused by someone experiencing mental illness, addiction, or homelessness. Instead of sending armed officers to respond, the city dispatches “crisis responders” to diffuse the situation and connect the individual with services—a model now being considered by a growing number of cities across the U.S. "

·
Registered
11,120 Posts
A quote from the Denver article-
"Data collected during the pilot program found that STAR calls were focused in certain areas of the city, and most were calls for trespassing and welfare checks. Approximately 68% of people contacted were experiencing homelessness, and there were mental health concerns in 61% of cases – largely schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorder – with 33% of people having co-occurring conditions, according to the report. "

So the mental health officers are targeting specific areas?
Wouldn't that be akin to profiling?
Are they sent to only non violent calls where no weapons are reported?
No domestic calls?

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
G Floyd was high in a store passing a counterfeit 20 and had many drugs on him that he took. Would a social worker have given the store a real 20 made Floyd throw up the fentanyl and driven him to the hospital for drug treatment?
If your combative not following directions how is a social worker going to be anything but a hostage or one more person in the way of the police.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

ABC7Chicago

The pilot programs will test how much police can be relieved of mental health calls, which can sometimes be dangerous.

Mental health clinicians will start answering some 911 calls in Chicago instead of cops
My daughter is an LPN and worked at a mental health facility for youth in Springfield, MO. It was so common for the workers to be violently attacked that she got the heck out of Dodge.

The idea of sending unarmed mental health workers into the jungle is a Walt Disney approach.

My bet is that instead of joining hands and singing Kumbaya there are gonna be a whole lot of do-gooders that get their as*es shot off.

·
Registered
11,120 Posts
This is just stupid.
Have you ever taken your groceries thru the self checkout, and as you are scanning your yogurt and diet mr. pibb you notice a clerk is standing in the immediate area half way watching? Then of course, your bottle of stool softener tablets won't go thru and they have to come over and slide their card, input a code, rescan it and tell you "I fixed it, you can continue now."?
Then she steps back and continues to watch.
Somewhere between trying to get one of those razor thin plastic bags to peel apart and getting the look from your wife for putting the bread in the bottom of the cart, you ask yourself, "What is the point?"

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Have you ever taken your groceries thru the self checkout, and as you are scanning your yogurt and diet mr. pibb you notice a clerk is standing in the immediate area half way watching? Then of course, your bottle of stool softener tablets won't go thru and they have to come over and slide their card, input a code, rescan it and tell you "I fixed it, you can continue now."?
In my case it's when I am alone buying tampons for the old lady.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts