Any banana growers?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Cyngbaeld, May 3, 2005.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My last garden was zone 3 and we are moving (hopefully soon) to zone 8b. My DD cannot live without bananas and I've never even considered growing them. But NOW! Anyhow, I was looking at some online and never realized the variety available. WOW!

Has anybody had any experience growing them? Any pointers? Any favorites. It would be nice to grow our own and do it organically to boot.

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Where ever you end up living, do a search for exotic fruit growers association. They will have every bit of info that you will need!

All I can tell you is they lover So Cal climate, divide by pups, the fruit is the best I have ever tasted..store bought icky!!, and love to be 'fed' banana peels (potassium).

I have a tree that I bought a year ago. It looked like it died, but I refused to give up on it...fed and watered, talked to it. I got a new leaf. I have no idea how long they take to fruit, but I can wait. I want to get a few dwaf cavandish, too. Red naner's are good, too!

3. birdie_poo

Make that rare fruit growers, not exotic.

4. Cyngbaeld

THanks, I'll see what I can find. I'm rather overwhelmed by the variety!

5. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, I envy you. I moved from Fl to MN last fall and had to leave behind my beloved bananas! Just went back for a visit and one of the plants was already in bloom. I am hopeful that my tenant will send us a bunch when they are ready to pick.

Best advice I can give you is to water it well until the roots have set, then mulch the heck out of it. We put 3' of mulch on mine last fall and they looked great last week- no weeds, plenty of moisture, blooms, etc.

I fertilized mine a little bit the first year until they were established, then I just piled on used stable bedding, leaves, grass clippings, wood chips, etc. Never had to fertilize again.

Oh, and you don't need to buy very many plants- the main plant will send up shoots which you can divide and transplant- the second year in my area.

One last bit of advice- chickens love banana plants- my chickens killed a bunch of my 3'-4' plants during the winter when there was nothing else green for them to eat.

Good luck, and enjoy.

6. Cyngbaeld

Elizabeth, I will certainly keep the chickens and ducks away from the bananas! Chicken manure ought to be good for them tho. And I WILL mulch them. Thanks! What varieties did you have?

7. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not sure what kind we had- they were transplanted from a friend's banana patch where several kinds of bananas were growing. He had everything from the small, really sweet bananas to plantains. The little ones are by far the best.

8. birdie_poo

This place has the best variety & prices I have found. They also have some that are so dwarfed, then can be grown ina pot in the house...even in MN!!