Any auction fans out there?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by willow_girl, Oct 15, 2005.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Last night I stumbled across a neat site that shows listings of auctions in one's area based on ZIP code. It's www.auctionzip.com. Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else finds it useful. :)

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I use to hit probably 30-40 estate and farm auctions a year. However, prices have gotten so high for even junk I've stopped attending. At one time they would pile boxes together until they got a dollar bid. Not the same junk goes for several bucks per box. Am told (and it is my opinion) eBay is responsible for much of the increase.

3. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Thanks for a terrific website!

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

YES, I just hit the jackpot on an auction sale today.

I got seven quilts for $28 each. Some are VERY old and wonderful, with flour sack backs. Two are pieced tops in patterns I had not ever seen before. Three have embroidered tops.

We also got a recently made, hand embroidered and hand quilted state bird quilt. Each block is a different state bird on white fabric. The borders and strips between the blocks are red. The hand quilting is white. This quilt cost $80, but is worth much more.

I got a five gallon crock for $15. An embroidered pillow that matches one of the embroidered quilts for $10. A box of old style kitchen utensils with wooden handles, a box of 12 embroidered quilt blocks that need to be made into a quilt, a 2 cup crock with lid, and various other items.

The icing on the cake, however, was the huge box of quilt scraps. I got it for $2.50. Yes, that's two dollars and fifty cents. Nobody else bid. When I sorted the scraps, I wound up with over 32 pounds of fabric. Most are solid colors, varying shades in each color, listed below by the pound.
    pink 3.75
    beige/tan/taupe 4.50
    white/ivory 5.00
    yellow/sunflower 3.00
    green 3.25
    red 1.25
    uncut quilt in a bag 1.25
    lavender 1.50
    old timey pattern 3.00
    blue 2.75
    aqua 2.00
    orange 1.00

5. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

I'm with Ken. Auctions used to be fun entertainment. You could get some neat stuff in those dollar boxes. Now people are crazy at most auctions. I was at one a week ago and there was someone bidding on everything so she could resell on e-bay. She had quite the pile of stuff. I ended up going home before what I wanted came up partly because of her. I knew she would bid up what I wanted if she thought it was something someone wanted. I know she has a right to do that and make some money but it's discouraging because SHE really didn't want it. The antique dealer and her got most of the stuff.

6. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I think it depends on the sale. There are lots of variables. Location's a big one, and then there's the weather. Early spring and late fall Saturday morning auctions up here tend to be competitive because there may be only one or a couple sales going on. Midweek auctions always seem to be great for finding bargains. If I hit a sale where everything's going sky-high, I don't stick around. There is always another day, and very few items are truly unique! There's always the possibility of finding something I want somewhere else down the road, for a better price.

I thought AuctionZip was kinda neat because sometimes we like to go to sales in the next county, where we used to live. Those auctioneers don't advertise in the shopper here, so I have to go to their individuals website to see what's going on. Much quicker and easier to use AuctionZip to view them all at once and decide where we're headed! :)

7. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

There's no simple explanation regarding how an auction will go. While eBay is undoubtedly responsible for some of the 'auction idiocy', I can remember being at auctions where people bid up used stuff for nearly double the price of new ... before eBay became known and popular.

What I've noticed at the last several auctions I've attended is that some people bid up the price of a box of 'stuff' because it has one item they want. After winning the bid, they frequently remove the item they want and abandon the rest of the box.

8. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

My mother and I used to go to many estate auctions when I was living near her in Illinois. As we were both avid collectors of various things, we would have a lot of fun.

Two auctions stand out just because of some interesting things overheard.
    At one, two older women, neighbors of the woman that had died and left behind all that was being auctioned, were standing next to us and we overheard one say to the other "Those da** kids came back and took all her good stuff!"

The other was an offhand remark by the auctioneer at the start of the sale as he described the auction saying "Mrs So-and-So has been placed in a nursing home and her kids have decided to sell off all her stuff". It became an inside joke with my mom and me. With every cough or sneeze or complaint about old age, I would ask her.."Should I call the auctioneer to get him to sell of your stuff now?"

Estate auctions can be a really good source for hard to find and unusual items and I am guilty of buying and reselling a lot of things on eBay over the years. I also have bought up a lot of things that I expect will end up in my estate auction eventually.

9. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I used to really enjoy auctions especially old style farm auctions with a life time accumulation of this and that. In this area lot people have moved in with a lot of money the last few years. Few farm auctions now and the others are not much fun as they sell their "antique" jelly glasses one by one to collectors or ebay resellers. I just week or two ago went to one of the now rare local estate farm auctions. Except for the vehicles, wasnt any real bargain and the vehicles were just at a "fair" price, ok if you could use one of them. And I didnt really need anything they had. Anything that didnt bring crazy price and was of any interest the auctioneer bought to resell somewhere else. I left empty handed. Way it is anymore. I can do better on ebay unless I am looking for a vehicle or possibly scrap iron. Scrap iron has went up in value, but it also costs lot more to transport it so nobody is really bidding it up. I like to weld so add small quantities to my collection from time to time.

10. Jan Sears

Jan Sears Well-Known Member

I must tell you folks my auction story. My husband used to run a mobile food canteen. A few of the local auctioneers in the area would usually ask him to bring his canteen on a Sat. This one particular Sat. we attended a very LARGE farm auction. I had a few things that I was wanting to bid on so had to run back & forth between helping out my DH at the canteen & doing my bidding. I had spotted a large bag of about a dozen wool mens work socks. What with time constraint & the fact that the bag was sealed closed I didn't get a chance to inspect them before bidding. You can imagine my shock when I got home & opened the bag hoping to surprize me DH with 1 dozen work socks & instead of work socks; there was just 1 dozen sock tops with the bottoms cut off! :eek: :mad: :grit:

11. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

I went to a sale just awhile back and bought a box of men's gloves for a dollar. Got them home and they were all right hand gloves. Come to find out the ol boy who had the sale lost his right hand years ago in a farming accident and when he bought gloves he kept the right hand ones and used the left only. Dollar wasted, lesson learned. Inspect before getting the "deal".

12. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Ken, I've noticed the same thing. I went to one last week and was shocked at the prices that things were going for. There was one item I wanted and it went nearly last of course. It went for probably twice what it was worth. This auctioneer was pretty difficult to understand too which made the experience less than enjoyable. I like auctions but I hate the whole auctioneer chanting thing. It is unnecessary and annoying. One thing I liked about the more upscale auctions I have attended was that the auctioneer used a normal voice instead of the whole chanting thing. Too bad they didn't have tools or farm equipment at the hoitytoity auctions lol.

13. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

14. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Awesome site - THANKS
    It will be helpful

15. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

My brother and I try to attend farm/estate auctions from time to time, but as others have noted above, the prices can escalate beyond what you would/should pay. It's bidding frenzy I guess. Sometimes you can run across good deals. Once at an auction near Collinsville, Alabama I bought a jar of mini balls, a tee shirt signed by Count Bassey, and a horse hair blanket (supposedly used by partisans in WWII) for less than $20. I was also bidding on a big box of old records ... until I realized I was bidding against my brother!!!

16. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

I love auctions---they are great entertainment! Some people go for the bargains and might get disappointed now and then but sooner or later even the biggest bidder runs out of money. My favorite auction isn't listed on that site even tho he has been around for quite awhile and is very well attended. We go whenever we can and always have a great time. Once I bought a $5 box lot and got an item worth $2,000. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

17. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

An old rule in poker is if you aren't folding before the final cards at least 60% of the time, you are likely losing money. Same criteria may also apply to auctions.

18. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

:cowboy:

I like to go to a livestock auction in my area. The last time I two large (goat sized) cages and a laundry cart for $1.00. :clap: This auction is every monday but it wasn't listed on the web site you listed.

:)