Any arthritis sufferers?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by hmsteader71, Apr 9, 2006.

1. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I was wondering, if any of you that are homesteading-whether in town or not, have arthritis and know any good cures for it? I am 34, I have arthritis in the whole left knee & tendonitis. Some days I can barely walk but things still have to be done around here. They are wanting to do a knee replacement and have already done some cortizone injections. Not much is helping. Just though I would ask and hopefully get some good ideas.

2. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

I have very bad in my joins and my hands HORIBLE.

I take Aleve when it hurts. Best stuff I have found for it. I have had many perscriptions for it. NONE of them worked as good as ALEVE.

I also try to have a good diet and WORK OUT. I know that sounds odd, but it dose help alot.

3. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Try glucosamine. It works so well for some people that their arthritis reverses itself. It doesn't work for others. It depends on what kind of arthritis you have.

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Find somebody who does energy work (Reiki, polarity, that sort of thing). Also boost your body's ability to repair itself by getting calcium, chondroitin, and other good stuff. The easiest way is to make your own homemade soup from leftover bones. Simmer the bones for a few hours to get a nice broth (I also add an onion). cook it down and pour into ice cube trays. Every morning mix an ice cube with a cup of hot water and drink.

5. MontanaVet

MontanaVet Member

Coburn's Magic Bullet

"Nothing seemed to work, until Coburn tried methylsulfonylmethane, or MSM. It's a natural supplement made of sulfur that comes in powder, pill and lotion form.

"The MSM, was that as close to a magic bullet for you?" asked Tuck.

"Oh, absolutely. It took the pain away," Coburn responded."

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Turmeric has helped me the most.

7. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

My very most favorite remedy is the electric mattress warmer. When my hips and back and knees are screaming in the evening, I turn that thing on as high as it will go and cover up to keep the heat in. Bliss. Have also been taking a glucosamine supplement at twice the recommended dose. Tried dropping down to regular dose, and the pain came back. So I guess it is working. Also take the non-aspriin stuff 3 x day. Trouble with determining what works and what doesn't, is that there are so many types of problems causing joint pains, different people react to different treatments differently, and theproblem tends to come and go. Good luck.

8. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

Glucosomin Condroiten here. I have oestioarthritis. I also keep moving...suz

9. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I had it in the Hip joints, knees & the big lower Thumb joints.
    My Vet reccomended Glucosamine & Chondroiton, for my big
    old dog, a Dobie.
    I asked if it works & he reccomended it. I've been on it for the last
    Eight years. It Works Wonders, for me. The oinly time i have pain is
    if I go off it, foir a couple weeks, while on vacation.

It does NOT work for DSW Sharon. She tried it faithfully for about
    3 months, with no Success. So She takes Alleve, every day.
    That works for her.
    I'm big, 6', 250#. She's short & chubby-round.
    Body type/Joint type might have something to do with it.
    Good Luck!

10. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I am on MSM right now. On the recommendation of my vet.
    I was on very very strong Prescript meds. Methotrexate, and Enbrel which is given by a injection 2 times a week. Very strong and very expensive stuff.
    Enbrel alone is $1500 Bucks a month. Insurance covers all but 70 dollars.
    Well last summer I had a very severe reaction from Methotrexate and Not only did my Liver shut down but so did my kidneys~!! Not Good~! I spent 3 days in ICU and a week in hospital and received 3 kidney dialysis~! Not fun at all.
    So now I am off ALL prescript meds and taking MSM and taking it very easy I am managing my pain along with Ibuprofen when it gets too bad.
    I sure also say I am sooo bad I have not worked for 2 years now and am on SS Disability~! and only 55 yrs old. Too early to retire but I had to. And because I have has this now for well over 25 years with medical records to back me up I had not one bit of trouble getting SS Disability. I was approved right away and I also get a check from a Long Term Disability Policy I had taken out when I was working.. So being single and renting with just a couple critters one mini donkey as a pet and one Jersey to fill my freezer I am making out pretty good now. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis in Both ankles, Both knees, and Both wrists~!

11. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm with Rose on using the turmeric. I also use ginger and bromelain. I bought a gadget that lets you fill 50 gelatin capsules at one time and buy the turmeric and ginger in our Mennonite store at a much lower price than tablets from healthfood stores and it does work. I have tried everything! Since you are so young I would guess it is not what us older folks have, osteoarthritis but just keep trying different natural remedies before the doctors get hold of you. Rita in TN

12. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

The Doc says I have the start of arthritis in my lower back, so I began taking glucosamine/chrondroitin/MSM tablets. Since I have not felt any back pain, I guess it is working. I get the tablets on-line at Swanson's for a reasonable price. I hope you find something that works for you.

13. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Mine's very mild and hands and feet only.

I take Advil, rest when tired, pace the work, and rub arnica cream into my hands when they're sore.

14. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Also I forgot but on really Bad days I rub on DMSO~! Which also helps.

15. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

You might try Fluid Joint and or Move Free Advanced.

I was having trouble with my hands, Dr. recommened Fluid Joint and in no time they were better.

This last Christmas I tore the cartlidge in my knee, thank goodness it didn't require surgery.

Saw an advertisment for the MOve Free and decided to try it, within two weeks my knee was better. DH is taking it too, and he says he can tell the difference.

16. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

In October I did tear the cartilage in my knee and they did surgery at the end of December. Since then I have had one cortizone injection & later the fluid drained off and another cortizone injection. NOTHING touches the pain though. I really don't think it is the arthritis pain that is so bad but the tendonitis. If my knees touch, it feels like fire. I couldn't find any herbs for tendonitis though. Thank you to everyone who has replied. I know many of you have it much, much worse than me. I just thought some of you could help. I am taking Glucosomine and the Deep Heat Rub does not help.

17. chas

chas Well-Known Member

My pain is gone. Now I can get up in the morning and get started without my warm up routine!
    Your blood has to be healthy to carry away all the toxins and free radicals.
    After seeing three people with advanced arthritis get a new lease on life and get off all blood preasure meds and cholesterol meds.I started getting interested .I came to find out they had been taking an antioxident called OPC-3 or oligomeric proanthocyanidin a all natural concoction containing grape seed and a type of pine bark with other ingredients. Another gal in my sunday school class, with her doctors blessings got off her cholesterol med because her liver count? was double what it should be.After two weeks it's getting closer to the 200 mark she says.
    The blood cells have to be healthy to rid the blood of toxins, free radicals, and the uric acid crystals that go to the joints causing gout and arthritis type pain.
    Don't just take pain killers that mask the real problem.Clean up your system!!!!
    Sorry so long,it's a great life if we are healthy.Good luck.
    Chas
    Ps. the one gal had been taking up to 22 asprins a day.Her fingers are all twisted up and now pains gone.And because she has regained her life she is selling OPC-3 like crazy.
    She's even has a web site to help people back to health.
    http://gotogayle.unfranchise.com

18. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I give a :goodjob: to glucosamine chondroitin and take it daily. So do two of my dogs and one of our horses! I refuse to take prescription arthritis meds (the first one I was on got yanked off the shelves and the second gave me a stomach full of polyps).

19. greyhound girl

greyhound girl Well-Known Member

I'm another MSM supporter. I get the granulated form made for horses (it's a better buy and the granules are absorbed better) and take a tablespoon in a glass of water. One of my friends who has bad knees takes 2 heaping tablespoons everyday - only thing that helps her.

20. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I was on methotrexate for a couple of years and it was about to kill me. I am on enbrel (2 shots a week) and mobic. I do ok on these two. They still have side affects, but not as bad. Yep, that enbrel is expensive. My insurance covers all but $40 on each of my meds.