Any amature (ham) radio people in here?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nwbound, Jan 5, 2007.

1. nwbound

nwbound Romans 11:36

I'm really thinking of getting my permit and learning the ropes to become a ham anyone know anything about it?

2. Sammy

Sammy Well-Known Member

3. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

4. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

K0YZD here at your service!

5. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

I & a friend are just starting our study for the tests..2 people I've met through here have their permits..It is easier now than before due to no morse code is necessary..We are wanting to prepare to be a part of disaster communications as well as it will be personally satisfying...Go for it & keep us posted... GrannieD

6. knight88

knight88 Well-Known Member

KC7KS here and happy to be of any assistance, DW is a ham as is FIL and BIL. I work with Army MARS, FEMA, TSA etc. Yes its more than a hobby, can be a life saver. Good Luck...... Andy

7. nwbound

nwbound Romans 11:36

thanks i'm just now starting to study and hope to be able to buy a radio soon i'm looking for something small to start with maybe just big enough to talk at least half the country. any suggestions?

8. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

wow , a million years ago my father, K7ZWK, was into ham and had some kind of voice permit as well. He used to spend Saturday nights talking to people all around the world and we had a huge (home made) tower in our back yard in the middle of the city. I used to tell my kid friends that my father was an alien and he needed that tower and radio equipment to speak to his planet LOL Sis

9. sewsilly

sewsilly Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm not a ham, but before my dad died, he got my middle child interested. I think he was about 15 when he took his test. My dad was soooo happy, that after many years, and trying to interest all sorts of family, he finally had his 'little ham'. Long story to short, he outfitted the kid with state of the art stuff, including an antenna off my roof AND a tower. Shortly thereafter, my dad got cancer and died one month from diagnosis. The Friday night following his death on tuesday, his radio club, during their regularly scheduled on air time, held a memorial for him,during which, my kid talked about his grand-dad. It's been a positive for my son, and the other folks in the club have been so nice, in helping with info and encouragement since my dad's passing. You couln'dt ask for a nicer, more helpful group of folks.

10. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

DW and I both have our ticket and studing to upgrade to general since no more mprse code. We are also active members of our local club. She is president and I am sect. http://www.dcars.zoomshare.com/0.html This is the web site for our club. It is a lot of fun and can be a big benifit to your comm. Good luck with your studies and as far as radios hmmmmm you never have enought, Sam