Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last Thursday we noticed some green stuff around our goats nose. looked like regurgitated hay. Took her temp it was 103 exactly. That night she got worse grinding her teeth. Her nose was relatively clear we gave her ivermectin orally, 2 ounces of milk of magnesia (thinking she had bloat).

Friday we found her laying in the barn on her side and kicking looked like she was dying. We gave her some vegetable oil. The vet came out and gave her milk of magnesia, pain killers, antibiotics, vitamins and 400cc of fluids. She was unable to move after wards temp was 100.7.

Saturday she was worse. We bought supplies to tube her and give her fluids, gave her 16oz of water and electrolytes. Wife called the vet and she determined it may be time to put her down. I came here and read everything I could and determined she must have pneumonia. I immediately ran out and got penicillin. By this time her nose was a running slop of snot. Sat night we gave her 2cc of penicillin, 5 cc of children's benadryl and probiotics, and pain shot and vitamins the vet had given us. Temp was 101.3. She no longer made any attempts to move at all.

Sunday we saw some improvement, we gave her 16oz of water and electrolytes via tube again which seemed to make her crash each time we did this. We gave her and pain shot and vitamins the vet had given us, 2cc of penicillin, 5 cc of children's benadryl in the morning and afternoon and probiotics. She would not eat or drink anything. Nose is draining cloudy snot.

Monday was such a tiny bit better. Again 2cc of penicillin, now 2.5 cc of children's benadryle in the morning and afternoon and probiotics, but this morning she was finally able to move her head and drink some water and ate some leaves (not interested in hay) my wife had her drinking water and ate some leaves and hay every hour throughout the day. Shes very congested coughing and crying when she coughs too much.

Tuesday was better shes trying to move her legs but still can't hold up her head. 2cc of penicillin, 2.5 cc of children's benadryl in the morning and afternoon and probiotics, my wife had her drinking water and ate some leaves and hay every hour throughout the day.

Wednesday shes lifting her head (not stable). We've been trying to lay her on her side and move her legs for her and keep her moving. Keeping her teats clean. Shes so much better than Saturday, but after a 5 days she's still just laying there unable to hold her self up. It feels much shorter when I type this out reading it, but it has been days of immobility. We still have to give her water and food. She can just move her head to grab it. Still grinding her teeth often (usually when we try to give he water and she doesn't want it) congestion has cleared up, no more benadryl.

I hope no one has gone through something like this but if you have, do you have an suggestions or expectations?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,288 Posts
Did she get a good dose of Thiamine? (just in case it's Polioencephalomalacia (PEM) - caused by Vit B1 (Thiamine) deficiency simply literally means softening of the brain. It is a disease that is seen more commonly in Angora kids grazing lucerne lands or fed concentrates especially if containing molasses.)

Did you listen to her lungs yourself?

I will tell you that I lost one of my lovely Saanens to an antibiotic resistant pneumonia. We tried every antibiotic. She would rally a few days and then go down.

I really don't have much hope for your goat, considering how long she's been down. I would change antibiotics and give her a HUGE dose of thiamine. After that.... I am out of suggestions. HUGGS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did she get a good dose of Thiamine? (just in case it's Polioencephalomalacia (PEM) - caused by Vit B1 (Thiamine) deficiency simply literally means softening of the brain. It is a disease that is seen more commonly in Angora kids grazing lucerne lands or fed concentrates especially if containing molasses.)

Did you listen to her lungs yourself?

I will tell you that I lost one of my lovely Saanens to an antibiotic resistant pneumonia. We tried every antibiotic. She would rally a few days and then go down.

I really don't have much hope for your goat, considering how long she's been down. I would change antibiotics and give her a HUGE dose of thiamine. After that.... I am out of suggestions. HUGGS
Hi Alice, thank you so much for the reply. She did receive vitamins in her IV on Friday and we were given two injections to give her for 2 days. I will check if it included Vitamin B (Thiamine). Our normal vet is coming to visit in the morning. Ill check with her if she has another antibiotic we can administer as well as a Thiamine shot. (Hoofs crossed).

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Wow, first I'm so sorry you're going through this but I applaud your efforts. As Alice says, B1. It's water soluble so you're not going to overdose her, so the HUGE dose can't hurt and may help. You say she's laying on her side -- for a goat's rumen to operate well, I think it might be better to try keep her up on her sternum, even if you have to pack her in with hay bales. I may have missed it, but I did not see any anti inflammatory in the treatment - Banamine is the one I use (Rx) - 3 days is the max. Nuflor/Nuflor Gold has a good history of antibiotic treatment of pneumonia. Hooves crossed indeed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks @mzgarden. I do prop her on her sternum, tuck her legs under and put hay bails on each side of her. Our normal vet came out and said she has Meningeal (deer worm) now. I am not sure what came first pneumonia or NW worm or both. We have her on 2 dewormers: Fenbendazole and Ivermectin, 3cc of thiamine and a steroid. No change at this time, she can hold up her head, but her neck has a curve in it and sways back against her side without support. She has little use of her front legs. Shes eating, drinking and very alert. She gets excited and reaches as much as she can when we give her pine needles or animal crackers (her favorite treat). For the most part we have to hold her head up to help her eat and drink.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well shes getting better, shes now stable enough to hold herself upright. Shes eating and drinking on her own. She tried standing herself up today but couldn't do it, so I picked her up and put her on her legs, front legs were almost able to hold herself up. Going to finish out her meds (two more days) and keep her fed and watered.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
We were hit with meningeal worms a couple years ago. Saved the goats(the vet was surprised) but.... they were never right after that. The buck we let him breed one more season but he had a tuff time of with the back leg weakness. The doe that had it was bred she she was better then the buck but died giving birth.

So, I hope you save her but she may be best to be a pasture ornament after this if your so inclined.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Ziptie, thats good to know. Finally we got some good signs, she was able to hold her self up today. I picked her up to move her and she managed to stand for a short while. Sally is our favorite of the herd so we were devastated we might loose her.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts