Any AARP members out there?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Jun 1, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    If so what is it all about? Worth messing with? Good - bad?

2. Q_Links

Q_Links Well-Known Member

They have a website. I can't remember the address, but you could probably put AARP in google. I'm finally old enough for it, but haven't joined. Q

3. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I am. Dues are a bit over $12/yr. There is insurance available, and a number of discounts for members. I save more than the dues cost me. Can't get the health ins until 65, but that will come probably as a secondary ins.
    My parents wouldn't have had ins without aarp, it was relatively cheap, and paid well.
    They will send you a info pkt to look over.
    Ed

4. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

AARP... Isn't that for OLD folks :haha:

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I joined when I was 50.
    Cost was $45.oo for 10 years.

My 10 years will be completed in a few months and even tho the cost is higher now, I'll still re-enlist.

I find the AARP magazine to be interesting and worth the cost of the dues.

The AARP bulletin has lots of info, also......more so along the lines of political topics pertaining to Seniors.

We don't travel a lot but when we do we always get the AARP discount at motels.......

And DH was given a membership card with no added cost.

6. Philbee

Philbee Well-Known Member

We both are. Haven't got their insurance but they do keep you up to date with whats happening with senior issues and we get discounts at lots of places.Discounts cover cost of dues and then some.

7. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

AARP is too myopically political for me. They have a mindset that supports Federalization and "groups" over local contral and individual perogatives. Got burnt for it a few years back.

Reminds of Consumer Reports magazine, eventually they did'nt approve of any lawnmowers that would actually start.

8. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

AARP is the most effective lobbyist for senior issues. In today's present environment we need all of the help we can get. As I am sure you know the halls of congress are filled with business lobbyists spending plenty of bucks to make sure that legislation favors them.

We have the best democracy that money can buy!!

While I do not agree with all of their advocacy (ex. Medicare plan 2003) the thought of giving our politicians get Cart Blanche is scary.

9. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

My dad was a member of AARP. He had their medical insurance...it helped alot! Especially after he was diagnosed with colon cancer. It can't hurt to get the info packet from them and look it over.

10. mwtslf23

mwtslf23 Texan in Ohio

Yes you can get insurance from AARP, but it is usually from a company that no one would ever get insurance from in the first place. AARP does not do insurance, they are more like a brokerage firm that gets a percentage of all premiums paid to the insurance company. Believe me, I am in the insurance business and AARP currently uses United Health as their insurance carrier. Here in Texas they have over 500 complaints against them. When you turn 65 there is alot better insurance companies to get you medicare supplement from.

11. deedler

deedler Well-Known Member

I've been a member for a while. I really enjoy their magazine and they have a
    "bulletin" every month. Some of the stuff is pretty relevant. I also have my
    moble home ins through them...really good prices and great service (Foremost).
    They offer many services.

12. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Check into their politics, moopups. Need to decide if it's worth having your dues go to a very liberal organization in order to get discounts.

13. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

DH joined when he was fifty. We both disagree with just about every political stance they take. When he first joined they had pretty good discounts. These discounts are not as good as they used to be. He has decided not to renew next time. They have really become focused on the political/business aspects of retirement. Their Medicare supplement was more expensive than Blue Cross in DH's case. I do read their mag but it seems like all they do is whine and expect more bennies from the government!

14. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Radically so when you dig around and actually look into their actual positions on various issues. They look like they were written by a bunch of Marxists.

15. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Used to belong... Don't now. Too liberal, Seniors are not the only people in the world. I'd rather focus on the future - the children. I've found that If I do enough research, I can find better insurance. Beware of who they recommend for investment houses. Can't beat Vanguard, and yes, Vanguard does give advice. Discounts? only if they gave it on homesteading stuff......

Lots of pro's & con's on this thread. Looks like maybe you'll have to take it for a year to see for yourself.

16. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I joined for the discounts, but haven't used any yet. Magazine is informative.

17. deb

deb Well-Known Member

My 95 yr old Dad is a member and my Mom was a member until her death last December. They had AARP insurance and never had any problems with claims or payments. They didn't always agree with AARP politics, but felt that AARP did an important job by bringing senior issues to the attention of the public and politicians.

Parents didn't travel much, but when they did go somewhere the AARP discounts came in handy.

deb
    in wi

18. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

We were members for one year when I turned 50 but cancelled our membership this year because of their way way way liberal ideas....

Their insurance and other ideas were not good buys even when we had NO insurance....at least that was the way they appeared to us...

We decided we did not want our dues going to fund their liberal ideas and tirades....and as for them lobbying for "senior citizens," please check out some of the things they "lobby" for.....I just don't want them representing me AT ALL.

19. Snuffy

Snuffy Member

I looked into it 13 yrs ago, and found that they are very antigun, and all things conservitive. Lately I read something about the bill AARP lobbied for, which will go into effect in 2006, that makes it impossible to buy supplimental health insurance. You take what the govmnt gives you and that's that. Nice people!!!

20. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Ironic that the conservatives here hate AARP for being politically liberal, whatever that means. I have watched them for at least 30 years and the thing they stand out on is protecting the incomes, rights and quality of life of people who are losing their political clout. Usually, they have to stand up to corporate abuse and in the present administration, outright attempts to dismantle a program that was meant to span generations.

The older and more tired I become, the more I am grateful for people with the ethics and passion for something other than taking care of number one.