Any 2007 resolutions/goals?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by BeckyW, Dec 31, 2006.

1. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

I was talking to a linguist friend today and he was flipping back and forth between English, Spanish, Hungarian, German and Hebrew showing me how interconnected languages are. Well, I haven't studied a foreign language since college (and I've forgotten nearly all of that, sorry to say).

So I've set a goal (completely unrelated to homesteading, though) to start learning Hebrew. I already started my lessons tonight (thanks to online language instruction!) I've read that learning another language or learning a new musical instrument keeps the mind from atrophying :) Maybe it will help me remember where I put my glasses, or my shoes, or why I even walked into the room! :rolleyes: (I had already scheduled myself to begin learning celtic harp in September 2007 after all our college children returned to their campuses, on DD#2's old harp.) You know the old adage: If one is good, two is better! :angel:

I've got other written down goals as well but they're a bit more commonplace.

So what exciting talents/skills have you committed to develop in 2007?
    Happy New Year!
    BW

2. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

Those sound like some wonderful goals. I too love languages, and am fairly proficient in three, four if you count English :baby04: Hebrew sounds fascinating, it is such a pretty written language, the shapes of the letters flow so nicely. Don't know if/when I would go after another language, or which one it would be.

My goals are much more simple, and subject to change, I suppose. I would like to advance my quilt making skills, and sewing skills in general (in other words, devote more time to actually quilting and sewing).

Enlarge a few garden beds and add a few new varieties of roses that I have admired for the past few years. Enlarge my wildlife plantings.

Maybe start selling some stuff on Ebay. I think that would be fun and hopefully make a bit of money. I know there are a lot of trips to the post office inherent in doing Ebay, but oh well...

Start riding my bike again.

Figure out some sort of way to actually meet and get to know a nice man.

3. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

To not lose any more weight (yeah, right)

Not be so tart and cranky with hubby and kids when under stress

Git some yardwork done this year (the baby is old enough to take outside with me now, yeah!)

Butcher that dang turkey and do it RIGHT this time

Spend more time on housework, less time on smoking :rolleyes:

With regard to the language thing, got me thinking - I have high school and other German, hubby's mom is German and he understands it, and kids hear German and son is taking Rosetta Stone right now. Maybe a Deutsche Donnerstag or something (a day where you speak only German in the household) would be a cool thing...

4. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

To improve my communication skills. Not only to be better understood by others but to always attempt to do so in a constructive manner. That's likely more most difficult resolution for 2007.

Marlene

5. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

posted on the Daily Journal; guess my biggies were to quiy kvetching and to stop worrying about my adult son/daughter.
    I am going to learn more about Japanese culture and thry to learn a littlelanguage. Something more than " Arigato" anyway.

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

To remember that we only have NOW.