Anxiety.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cabe, May 2, 2005.

1. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

Does anyone here all of a sudden find themselves nervous all the time about the silliest little things?Used to confront everything in life head on, and now I just seem to want to hide, and let life go buy.Just came off of some long, hard, and not productive buisness situations , and I wonder if I am just doubting myself or what. I sure wish I would pull out of this soon , I miss being me. I just turned 44 the other day, and never imagined about the 40 thing bothering me. Once when I was having a hard time earlier in life I became active helping others to forget my self pity , but this is different.Seems like the only thing to do is ride it out for a time when I get past this feeling, whatever it is.Has anyone else in here ever "thinked" they went crazy after 40?Marty.

2. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

You probably should describe your condition to a physician. Modern, mild drugs such as Celexa and Zoloft can make a tremendous differece.

3. Mary in MO

Mary in MO Well-Known Member

Cabe,
    If you were a woman I'd have a quick answer for you. Turns out when you start doing the menopause dance one of the lovely side effects of hormones shifting is anxiety attacks. Since your not we'll go a different direction. You can try treating yourself at home with herbals and OTC stuff. I had bouts of it pretty bad getting off hormones so I went the gamut from Xanax (I can see why you get addicted to that stuff - after a couple of pills, I didn't care if they marched me naked down the street) to finally finding a regime that worked for me. My doc had me try a prescription anti-histamine they gave you before surgery to calm you down. I said won't benadryl do the same thing? He agreed. So, I tried benadryl for a while. That did ok, but I was sleeeeeeepy :no: . Next item. Valerian root, smells like a Russian army boot after a 40 mile forced march. Does make you calm and collected. Not drug-induced sleepy. Turns out not good for long-term use, I believe liver damage on mega doses but I'd prefer something I didn't have to worry about. I do use it on occasion. Next item, calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement from walgreens. Cheap, effective and works. Stops my palpitations too. Take 1 at first, the magnesium might make you have the trots.

My anxiety attacks have basically been hormonal. Men also have fluctuating hormone levels so that could be it also. Never know. Don't believe I've seen research done on men. Heck, with the way life is these days I'd be suprised if we all didn't have panic attacks from time to time. So fast and furious has life become. Usual dietary suggestions, limit caffiene to morning hours and limit the amount, try meditation/prayer before bed, eat cheese beffore bedtime. Limit alcohol consumption.

The technical reason you have them come out of the blue is that your body is doing an autonomous response to a chemical signal that was sent to your adrenal glands. That chemical signal came from your brain in response to 1) a real event; 2) an imagined event; 3) another hormone taking a nosedive; 4) chemical reactions in your body i.e, caffiene, chocolate in excess. When it comes out of nowhere you can bet that it's some unseen mechanism going on in your body.

If you utilize the above methods in any way shape or form and you still have them, go to your doctor. You might need to have a script to reverse the trend. Just be patient with yourself and you'll do ok.

You aren't going crazy, it's a combination of things going on in your life producing side effects that are disconcerting. I found that after oh about 43 or so I was heavy into my mortality. Both parents dead and gone for years. Just my brother and myself. Then I realized if I lived as long as my parents I didn't have long to do what I wanted to do. The worst part of it was that I was/am stuck in a job, in the city and can only get out to our place on weekends when life isn't in the way. :bash: This is called the middle-age crazies. Think of it like the perfect opportunity to sit down and think about what you want to do with the rest of your life. It might just be a completely different path than you are on now. It might just be the same one. Only you can tell yourself this. good luck
    Mary

4. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

When everything goes wrong for protracted periods I find myself being very hypersensitive to any implied criticism. When it gets worse I kinda get Tourettes commuter syndrome - find myself cursing loudly spontaneously in the car. Usually when I suddenly realize I've been shouting curse words I try to put myself in a place where no one can make demands on me for awhile. It works because the other team leader at my Hospice doesn't mind taking my phone calls while I bury myself in Medical records to research charts for an hour or two at a time. Of course, I also return the favor on my good days/her bad days.

30's 40's, 50's haven't bothered me but 25 ! It was so bad I will never understand how I survived. I was a quarter of a century old with a failed marriage, no job skills, no degree, and no accomplishments nor hope of attaining them...It was so bad I went right from being 25 halfway thru my 25th year to being 27 for 3 years. For some reason, 27 didn't make me feel so down it looked like up to me, the way 25 did.
    Anyway, hang in there. All you have to do is get thru ne day at a time. Don't think about the all the days to come, just one day. If one day is too hard, then just concentrate on getting thru the next hour. Then, you tackle the next hour- but only after you hung on for one hour. Good luck.

5. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

moopups
    Moderator, Vets Forum

http://www.mhsanctuary.com/articles/emotmem.htm is a starting point conserning the way back to normal, at least it was for me. May I suggest you go to the vets forum and read the sticky conserning PTSD & Anxiety. The above site explains how to harness your thoughts and thought patterns - written in layperson's language by professional people.

6. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

My doctor told me to take more vitamin B and especially B-6 for anxiety. I also take Melatonin at night and that seems to help a lot. Maybe have your hormone levels checked too.

7. stubbornmule

stubbornmule Well-Known Member

Yah.... Cabe I feel like that sometimes. Maybe you are like me and like to carry burdens? or maybe you worry like me?

8. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

You are not alone, Cabe, we all get those feelings. I think it is the fact we have to work so hard anymore, and our finances get strained, and everything keeps increasing in cost, but our wages stay the same, and we all try to cut back, and do with less, but keep paying more, and it must be even harder with a business.I just know that with the Lord on my side, I will make it through. I will be praying for you, too, that things will improve. :)

9. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Cabe- you could be developing anxiety ie an anxiety disorder and there are many medicines (not all yet mentioned above) that might help. But also you could be having a thyroid overactivity or soemthing. So I recommend telling your Dr and they might want to do a few blood tests and have some medicines you could try.

10. jrw422

jrw422 Well-Known Member

Jesus is the answer!! :p

11. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

My NP suggested B-100 for anxiety and stress. It doesn't take long for me to notice a difference.

12. wildwanderer

wildwanderer Momma, Goatherder etc....

I often use Bach's Rescue Remedy its pretty good, not addictive, you can't over do it and it helps in the moment when the anxiety attack happens. Good luck.

13. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

Cabe,
    Birthdays always seem to get me down too. With the pressures of life
    in the 21st century (bad economy, wars, inflation, politicians that only
    spout the "corporate line") it is a wonder that we aren't all going crazy!
    The good thing is that tomorrow is literally a new day! One that you can
    choose to do something completely different in, or make a complete 180
    degree turn in your occupation, or whatever you choose. If I didn't have
    that thought I don't think I could go on...
    A good book that I ran across recently is "Its Not About the Horse" by Wyatt
    Webb. As a therapist told him, "If you're to achieve the peace, joy, and
    spiritual fulfillment that you want so badly, it depends upon one thing and
    one thing only--your willingness to simply DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT." I
    have been trying to listen to this advice myself, and finding that many people
    are threatened by this. Family members are use to certain roles and they
    don't like change, so they try and prevent YOU from changing. It is definitely
    a struggle, but one that I feel I must begin! Good luck to you. You are not
    alone.
    James in Houston (12/13/61)

14. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

cabe,
    Besides you and me and most everyone else on the planet, nobody experiences anxiety or panic attacks.
    My friend Steve tells me to observe the workings of my own mind from a different vantage point. Or: "observe the observer."

There is a part of your consciousness that kind of sits back and calmly observes the goings on in your own mind and your life without making judgments or getting caught up in them. It's the part of you that knows when you're doing the right thing or the wrong thing. We all spent most of our time in that vantage point as children, but learned to ignore it.
    Periodically taking that vantage point really helps me get a better perspective on the situation. I step outside of my own mind's little drama and look at it from the point of an observer. I find myself saying "Tsk Tsk, brain, you certainly have gotten yourself in a tizzy again, now haven't you? Ten minutes ago, everything was fine, now the world's coming apart at the seams and later it'll all be OK again...truth is that nothing is really wrong...well fed, decent family, relative health, enjoyable chores... And yet this brain of mine continually goes through these wild cycles of up and down..."
    By observing things from that vantage point, I have learned that my brain has been doing these things for a long time and may continue to do them, but I don't need to get wrapped up in the drama and take it all as if it is really serious. I have come to view my mind as a bit of a pathetic drama queen. I can still get involved with the drama if i want to, but it's more for the excitement and fun of it. I do have a choice....it's not real, it's just pretend...if it gets too crazy in there, i just try to step out and take a breather. There is a place I can go to observe it and get a break. It takes practice, but cultivating that place makes it easier to go there with more ease and frequency.
    I have also observed that this is all about my brain. There is no one to blame, no doctor or pharmacist or girlfriend or medicine is to blame for any of it. To go there is just my own brain's method of trying to get me to buy into the next drama. And I'm not buying.
    wshew.

15. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

What an interesting perspective, and a well thought-out post.

16. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

I too have had anxiety attacks and whan they are a new thing it is SCARY. I thought i was going crazy and i have 2 small kids so I fought against the anxiety which made it harder.

it sound like you know in part what is causing your issues. I was told we can handle one issue maybe 2 at a at time but sometimes not more. The straw that broke the camels back as it were. When life is getting crazy give yourself some space. Slow down and be selfish for a while. really sit doen and think about why you are anxious. Be truthfull with yourself. normally there should be reasons even if they seem subtle. Then figure out a way to get rid of the triggers. There are always choices that can be made you just might not like all of them. Ie. taking a lower paid job for less stress. Money dosen't mean much if your miserable. This being just an example. .""just say 'screw it'" sometimes we just can't be in control of everything and we just have to give control over to other forces. Go back to the basics.
    1)Get 8 hrs of sleep ( no excuses it can be done even w/ kids they need good sleep too) If not carefull I have sleep issues
    if sleep is a problem do some light excersise walking etc. will help w/ the good mood chemicals in your body and get rid of excess tension
    2)get rid of excess and needless running. The mouse in the excersise weel syndrome. cut out some after work engagements. slow down living a fast pased life will keep anxiety up. bordom is not a bad thing
    3) eat 3 meals a day w/ 2 snacks. don't sugar/caffine up and then wonder why your miserable. DUH ( I do this) you are what you eat.
    4) life will throw us curve balls and they will hurt. we can't control that but we can control how we deal w/ life and our attitutde toward it.

I will sit in a really quiet place and ask my self what would make me really happy, realistically. I won't be a zillionare and would it really make me happy anyway??? Then I will make a plan to get there.

Drugs won't wourk if you are behaving in ways to counteract their effect.

17. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    CABE:

Mary in Mo hit it right on the head. One of american medicine's dirty little secrets is that MEN Have Menopause too. Its not always as severe in its effects for men as it is for women, but some of us have the mood swings and the hot flashes. It doesnt make you less of a man, just means your body is changing with age and theres not much you can do to prevent aging. I went through the same thing you are going through for about a year and had the hot flashes and mood swings to go with it. Used to sit at my desk at work in front of two fans with a bowl of ice water and mop my head all day. EVERYTHING bothered me, newspaper either made me rantingly furious or I cried at the drop of hat. And I worried and was anxious. Thought I was going crazy.

BUT there is hope. Go right down to the store and buy some EVENING PRIMROSE OIL capsules and start taking them. I will guarantee you will see a change within days. I bet half the ladies on this forum who have reached "that certain age" will tell you that these capsules are the best thing since sliced bread. A lady in my office told me about them and half my coworkers swear by them. And they arent like Lydia Pinkhams. No alcohol. I also discovered about the same time that I was a bit thyroid difficient and that a small dose of synthroid helped immensely as well. Talk to your doctor honestly about this. Mention the M word and if he poo poos you, get a second opinion. When I told my doctor about the Evening Primrose, he chuckled and said..."Yes the ladies are right. Cant hurt for a man to try it . However it might make your breasts sag a bit." I told him I'd trade the hot flashes for sagging breasts anyday. :rolleyes: :p

Now Im not saying you may not have other issues that need addressing. Depression is certainly not uncommon in this day and age, but I'd be willing to bet its nothing but a bit of male menopause. Cant hurt to try the EPO. it sure helped me. Good luck. :)

18. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Many times "un-provoked" (no thought or external triggers) panic attacks are due to an undiagnosed hormone disorder. Common thyroid problems might be the critical link for you. Go to www.thyroid-info.com to see if that or other symptoms mirror your experience.

19. Debbie at Bount

Debbie at Bount Well-Known Member

I thought that was used for dogs. How do you use it and how do you buy it.
    Debbie

20. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

I really do not know how to thank all you wonderful people out there who responded to my "Bad Day" post.I spent two years nurturing a side buisness(on top of my regular 50-60 hour job)plus running my Christmas tree farm, and raising 4 kids.It was my hope for the future as a better way to make a living. The dream is not dead, and I just need to put aside some things for a while.I went and signed up for the Church Mowing teams,and this lets me do something grand and great-work more for the Lord.I know mowing sounds trivial, but it is a need, and it was fantastic today at Church when all the Moms and kids played on nicely mowed grass.
    I also have told my wife these feelings, and she never knew.I keep too much on my shoulders, and the kids miss me being quite like I used to be. It is so hard to let go of something when you just knew it was going to be a winner. I spent a whirl-wind 2 years pushing my buisness venture, and now for my family I am putting it on hold.My real treasure is here in this home that I and my wife have made for our kids and each other.
    One day my son said something I will never forget about the way we live. He told me he felt sorry for "Movie Stars" and people who had mansions and such.My son told me they were not rich like us, and they seemed like prisoners. I never attained stardom, but I almost became a prisoner to my own greed. God Bless you all, and thanks so much for caring this much. Marty.