Anxiety

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by sss3, Jan 12, 2018.

1. sss3

sss3 Well-Known Member

Anyone take something for anxiety? Don't think Valerian will be strong enough.

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Are you aware that anxiety and depression have been linked to gut bacteria issues?

no really and wdcutrsdaughter like this.

3. wdcutrsdaughter

wdcutrsdaughter Well-Known Member

I "take" meditation for anxiety. Mindful practice of staying in the moment. Anxiety is our brains making up stories or making real stories seem worse. Our own mind can be our worst enemy if you allow it.
    Depression is also linked to low Vitamin D, but maybe in NC that's not such an issue as here in Maine.

Some find Cannabis helpful, some find it makes things worse. Not sure if you're in a medical cannabis state.

Alice In TX/MO likes this.
  4. Nyxchik

Nyxchik Well-Known Member

Valerian wouldn't be my first choice as an anti-anxiety anyway... have you tried passionflower? If you're wanting to stay with something herbal, I like it as a tincture. It's a nervine. I know folks who use it for situational anxiety (like test anxiety or before they fly) and some with general anxiety that use it daily. In lower doses it normally doesn't make you too sleepy (but try it first when you aren't driving just in case), although you can use it at night to help you sleep if 'monkey mind' keeps you awake. I feel for you ~ anxiety sucks. ~nyx

5. Nsoitgoes

Nsoitgoes Well-Known Member

If you are low on magnesium (and many people are) it can have adverse effects on your mood. Try one or two magnesium tablets before bed. Try to get the magnesium taurate or glycinate. The easier to find magnesium oxide is not absorbed as well, and it can cause diarrhea initially. One you are used to it that doesn't happen, but it can be disconcerting.

autumnsrain and Alice In TX/MO like this.
  6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Read the book, Loving What is, by Byron Katie. Then read it again.

Look for her videos on You Tube.

roadless likes this.
  7. Nsoitgoes

Nsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Another good way to get magnesium is a nice long soak in a warm bath to which you have added a cup or so of Epsom salts. You could add a little lavender essential oil, too, to sooth your mind.

roadless likes this.
  8. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

Magnesium is also good for muscle pain.

Nsoitgoes and wdcutrsdaughter like this.
  9. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

I've discovered two types of vegetation that can be grown and work well to reduce anxiety.
    Passion Flower: The flowers are more potent but leaves can be used too. Dry them, crush them and make a strong "tincture" out of it. Place in refrigerator to cool during summer or warm for winter drink.
    Red Clover (type with cone-shaped flowers): Use only the flowers. Dry them and create a strong tincture. Use this as a cool drink or hot one. Either way it gives relief to nerves. (This Red Clover was especially helpful for female situations each month.)