Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have so many things i wanna do to make money off my little homestead.. one of them includes making a sign to put at the bottom of my driveway "rabbits for sale" or eggs , or what have it ...

but my anxiety just screams saying its a bad idea. making me think of all the BAD things that could happen.

hmm ... sucks.. i tried to sell a few rabbits to rural king today , but they no longer buy the red eyed rabbits as, they dont sell... i was just going to keep all my rabbits for meat.. but being unemployed i wanted a way to make money so i didnt have to go looking for a job anytime soon.

im just going to have to let myself have a panic/anxiety attack and make the sign .. maybe make myself feel better by just taking the sign down every night. and putting back up in the morning...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sell on Facebook. Meet buyers off your property so they don’t know where you live.

ive tried that many times .. people end up just standing you up like a joke, or they message you from states away even though a zipcode is posted... OR they accuse you of being a scammer...i mean i got a ad up on my local facebook animal buy sell and trade groups right now, but ive never really gotten a bite from it ..

·
Saltine American
7,194 Posts
If there is a rabbit processor near, u check with them.

·
Saltine American
7,194 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If there is a rabbit processor near, u check with them.
only place that i know of that process rabbits near me, is the lady i bought my breeders off of . so she wouldnt want them lol i could wait till their full sized and sell their meat, but thats going to take time to do as their only 3lbs.

Try craigslist... feeder rabbits, pets ??
craigslist never seems to work for me ... people trying to get a free this , or that, or will message me asking for meeting locations and never showing up .. wasting my gas.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
That isn't anxiety that makes you hesitant to hang out a sign. It is good judgement. You want to make income off your homestead and that is a worthy goal. All things in their season.

Is there an auction house anywhere near you? There is an amish place about twenty miles from here that many folks carry rabbits and poultry/quail to, in addition to livestock and for some reason table upon table of "stuff".

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That isn't anxiety that makes you hesitant to hang out a sign. It is good judgement. You want to make income off your homestead and that is a worthy goal. All things in their season.

Is there an auction house anywhere near you? There is an amish place about twenty miles from here that many folks carry rabbits and poultry/quail to, in addition to livestock and for some reason table upon table of "stuff".
i have an auction place about 2 , 3 miles from my house. but always been told , a auction house is the worst place to sell animals , as ill be getting very little, and i have to give a percent to the auction holder.

my dads the one who wants me to hang the sign down by my driveway because i mentioned it one day .. told him my anxiety about maybe some crappy person could stop in the middle of the night and just .. up and steal my animals. or worse. i mean i live in a country area, so most people around here probably wouldnt do it .. but there are still some of those "rabbits are pets, not food" type people anywhere.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
i have an auction place about 2 , 3 miles from my house. but always been told , a auction house is the worst place to sell animals , as ill be getting very little, and i have to give a percent to the auction holder.

my dads the one who wants me to hang the sign down by my driveway because i mentioned it one day .. told him my anxiety about maybe some crappy person could stop in the middle of the night and just .. up and steal my animals. or worse. i mean i live in a country area, so most people around here probably wouldnt do it .. but there are still some of those "rabbits are pets, not food" type people anywhere.
Go see what the animals are going for at the auction house and then decide.

·
Premium Member
29,023 Posts
My mom sold some chickens at auction just before covid hit. She got about 80 CENTS each for the birds, cage included. IMO auction houses are not worth the effort, especially the one in De Graff. Mom reported their handlers to the auctioneer for animal abuse but nothing was ever done about it.

Mom sold eggs off her porch for several years. Some were stolen, some people stole the money from the fridge. You would have to set up a security camera system to watch people. In Ohio you can sell directly from the farm, as long as the eggs are kept in a refrigerator. You cannot sell them away from the farm without a license. Legally they cannot even be sold from a cooler on the farm.

Your best option for selling live animals is a swap meet or farmers market type set-up that allows live animal sales.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My local sale barn sells rabbits and this time of year they really start to go up with easter right around the corner. I have seen them sell for as much as $50 per head. Not sure if that's a lot for a rabbit, but I thought it was good.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
If you are serious and determined to make money at something then you will.
You only fail when you quit.
Sites like Craigs List, LSN, and others are popping up all the time. Facebook groups are using alternative sites for selling animals.
Yes, you get goofs. So does the local general store up to Walmart.
You are the boss so you can decide if the customer is always right, or even worth the trouble.
I have struggled many times to figure out a niche and then one day plugged in my 99th effort or idea and bam. Sometimes there was no reason or explanation why but it worked.
I know folks who sell and make money with livestock and never leave their property. Then there are others who hit the fairs, the markets, the auctions, walmart parking lot, whatever.
If you stick to it, you may find out what you are doing 6 months from now is working, but not exactly how you saw it.
Doubt and anxiety are just little devils of fear. Get the signs done so you can either fail and move to the next step or win and build on it.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
You're right, anxiety sucks. But, anxiety can also force you to think through your options. The trick I've found is to id a possible solution, id the risks and then continue the what iff'ing until you get to the end. No solution will be perfect. No solution will work for everyone, or work everywhere. Some solutions will seem right until they don't work and you have to rethink. As hard as it is, everyone faces anxiety and uncertainty at some point. Work through it or walk away. Sometimes walking away is the best idea as long as you are walking toward something else.

Ultimately, people can suggest, people can share what has worked for them, or not worked for them. Only you can move forward.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I totally understand the anxiety. I have agoraphobia (fear of leaving my house). I very rarely leave and when I do I am so medicated it's ridiculous. I wouldn't put up a sign either. We are fortunate enough to have a livestock auction near us that lets you set a reserve so my husband takes them there. I would also do craigslist or Facebook marketplace if you have a Facebook account. The idea of someone coming to my home unannounced is terrifying.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why are you against getting a job ?

not against getting a job . just want to try other ways before having to go get one again.
ideal time to go look for a new job would be when the mandates are lifted on this covid thing... its not fun to have people scream in your face because you asked them to please wear a mask in the store. (if i didnt tell people to wear a mask and enforce it at my last job , i could have been fired.) threatened to be beaten up, or shot, or burn the store down.... was ....... interesting...

i still have a little bit saved up. but i dont want to sit and watch it deplete. wanna see what i can do, with the off time i gave myself. and if i get to my "ok , i have 3 months worth of bill money left" its time to start looking for a job.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.