Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who suffers from moderate to severe anxiety? How do you control it?

I would be interested in hearing from those who have BTDT and what sorts of modifications, medications and changes you have made.....

I always thought I had this under control without the need for meds, but apparently not.....

Just sort of rambling... trying to figure it out....

G

·
For me, I stay away from Pam Cooking Spray. There's a chemical or something in there that triggers me every time. My brother made pancakes one morning and used Pam instead of butter. I had panic attacks all afternoon.

I wouldn't wish panic attacks on my worst enemy.

·
GO VOLS!!!!
311 Posts
I have had some crazy anxiety attacks. One I thought for sure I was having a heart attack. I can usually talk myself down. Not that time I was having a heart attack for sure. So i call and get my mom to take me to the emergency room. Well it wasnt a heart attack thank god but it did cost me over 6 hundreds bucks for one ativan.

I had a doctor prescribe me paxil once and I took it for a few weeks and it made me feel totally wierd. I told the doctor about it she kinda gave me the "You don't know what you are talking about look and response" Saying it didn't even have time to kick in. So know I just bum a klonopan from my neighbor if I get one really bad. I know your not suppose to do prescription meds like that . But hey it works and it way to costly than going to a doctor and them not helping any at all. I would rather take a pill a few times a month when I need it than have to be dependant on something daily

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Hubby has alot of anxiety, he won't go to the doc for meds. (Stubborn as a mule LOL). He has post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and the anxiety stems from some very bad years in his life.

He panics alot if he's alone still sometimes. He goes through bouts of terrible anxiety for a week or two, and then he's fine. I try to give him fishoil since that is just pure brainfood right there, and b vitamins are good for the nerves.

Avoiding stimulants is good too, like coffee or tea. Finns drink the most coffee in the world so it's impossible for him to cut it out competely. Light exercise is also good.

Also keeping a journal or diary is good. I do this for my anxiety. I can record whatever I please and it helps clear my mind.

Hope this helps!

Kat

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
I have had anxiety and panic issues on and off all my life. I came across a recommendation by Dr. Weil about a breathing technique and it seems to help a lot. I have never taken medications and don't plan on going down that road. It helps a lot to call it what it is when it happens and tell yourself you will get through it along with the breathing technique. He advises a deep breath to the count of 4, hold to a count of 8 then slowly release. Repeat as needed. When you first start doing it you may get light headed so he advises not doing more than 2-3 cycles to start with.

Sherry in GA

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I have suffered from anxiety for yrs. I struggle to control it without medication and sometimes it works and others it doesn't help at all. I 'pass' out (dh says it is like a seizure--shaking , unresponsive), it always happens at night (usually after we have gone to bed and I awaken feeling sick) after a really stressful, anxiety filled day--Had many tests and that's what they told me. I get stressed being in a huge crowd or anywhere that I do not have control. I have to keep telling myself, "I am alright, I am in control, I can leave at any moment, I can do this" etc. I am a real sissy when it comes to any medication, to me it would be something even more stressful than the anxiety--crazy? I know but that's how I am..Queen Bee

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Valium. Seriously. I avoid people that I know will stress me out, as an example my neighbor who is a very intense person. When she speaks she leans forward, talks loudly and animatedly, and in general seems to be worked up about something all the time. Frankly, people like that wind me up and then I get anxiety. It's too costly in terms of stress and subsequent exhaustion. I also avoid situations like going to Wal Mart on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday unless it is late at night. Rude, oblivious people drive me nuts. So for me avoiding people and situations that I know will get me on edge helps a lot.

But sometimes you can't avoid people or situations, and you have to learn to deal. I have developed a wonderful ability of 'listening' to people without actually registering a word they say. All I hear is 'wahnk wahnk wahnk' like the teacher on Charlie Brown :rolleyes: I don't know how to tell you to tune people out, it isn't something I can explain. But if you can learn to do it, it helps. The oblivious or rude people? Push their cart out of the middle of the aisle, or simply say 'pardon me' or 'perdon' and squeeze right on through.

I have little things I do that calm me and soothe me too. I knit, I listen to music that I really like, take a kitten or chick and play with it, maybe groom my house plants. Make it quiet in your home, don't let noisy, tense or fractious people in.

And ask your Dr. for some ativan/Valium. You won't get addicted if you are responsible with it, I've taken it for years and often I go months at a time without taking it, but if something happens like happened to my family last week, I take one. The last prescription I got is several months old and still is about 3/4 full, I should probably toss it out because it's getting old. Anywho, it improves the quality of my life and alleviates my misery until the crisis passes.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I'm one of those overly intense people. I tend to proselytize my entire belief system down the throat of everyone I come into contact with. It's scary. I can't even help myself sometimes. My wife will give me a nudge when she catches the look in a stranger's eye. She's made me promise not to even bring up the Second Amendment until I've known someone at least a year.

But anxiety is always there for me. At the heart it's fear. And the only way I've found to deal with it is to pray, have faith, and work hard. The work in itself becomes half therapy and half prayer. That seems to help.

·
Enjoying Four Seasons
3,107 Posts
Yuppers...that is me. I believe I've pretty much gotten it under control at this point ~ I can usually talk myself down as someone mentioned above. About 10 years ago a doctor put me on some kind of antidepressant...which just made me constantly feel like I 'wasn't me'. Yucky!

I just always allow myself extra time and try not to rush things. For example, I always need to check the stove in the morning to make sure it is not on (even if I haven't used it that morning). I *know* I have locked the front door in the morning, but if I question myself on it I HAVE to turn the car around a go check it again. I guess you would call this a compusive disorder? :)

·
GO VOLS!!!!
311 Posts
Beltane said:
Yuppers...that is me. I believe I've pretty much gotten it under control at this point ~ I can usually talk myself down as someone mentioned above. About 10 years ago a doctor put me on some kind of antidepressant...which just made me constantly feel like I 'wasn't me'. Yucky!
QUOTE]

Ditto thats what the Paxil did to me. I just felt super odd. I didnt feell myself at all. I somehow couldnt get that through to the doc. She tried to get me to start somehting else. Wasnt having any of it. Came to find out later on one of the 2 was linked to suicides. So oh well but liek someone mentioned earlier about ativan it is great for anxiety and you dont have to take everyday. You may go a month without taking one. But when you do need it they are handy to have around. They are about the closest thing you can have to a button you could push to make em stop.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Yep, major panic attacks here until I finally had a doctor put a name to it and help me find meds that work. I get major stomach upset, sweat, dizziness and in severe attacks I begin to throw up. And it spirals worse if I cannot find a bath room like immediately! I was treated for post partum deppression after the birth of my 2nd child (had it after first just never was treated) with anti depressants first. Nothing worked until 2 1/2 YEARS later my new doc and I hit the combo that works for me. I now take daily anti depressants and the generic of Xanax when I need it. Having a med that controls the panic allowed me to "decondition" myself to situations that would trigger an attack. The Xanax has actually given me my life back as I was to the point that just leaving the house to go places sometimes even familiar places brought on attacks.
Melissa

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Wild Jewel, the description of "sweating, dizzy, either upset stomach (one or even both ways), unbalanced- is how I wake up before I have a black out/seizure. It is scary and it can take me days to get back to normal!

·
Registered
281 Posts
It took me 2 yrs. before I could get a diagnoses. I was eventually put onto RIVOTRIL & the Dr. who prescribed it for me guaranteed me that I would never have another panic attack. I still do occasionally have an attack but not anything like before I was diagnosed. PTL. I have to take it everyday.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
I have been diagnosed with PTSD and anxiety and take no drugs. Can't afford the Dr. appt. to get the prescription. Wait, that isn't really true. I hate to waste the money on the Dr. appt to get the prescription. I took Paxil for a year or so. Didn't like it. Zanax is a sweet little pill. Get one bootleg now and again and save it for those banging my head against the wall moments. Most of all I avoid being alone for any length of time with nothing to do but think. I can think myself right into a flashback and I am right there again. Sucks. I have to make a life. I keep that in the front of my mind. I can't be nuts there are too many people depending on me. What would Nina do if Nana went off the deep end? Everyone I know thinks I am normal because I control it so well. I keep busy and/or keep people around me.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Prayer, proper nutrition, check for hypoglycemia, thyroid problems, food/additive/preservative allergies. I had numerous panic attacks and anxiety in my 30's and was able to overcome them without medication..........it is possible.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Zoloft here for me... i had problems since i was a kid and one day i decided to go to the dr. and he prescribed Zoloft.... worked pretty fast... the first couple of weeks i felt under the weather but then everything was better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.