Anvils,Homemade

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by james dilley, Oct 11, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I have A 18" long pc. of leaf spring from A semi. And want to make A Ricky rat anvil out of it. I don't use one very much but I have A 3' pc of 3" pipe tp use as A stand to weld the leaf to. Then I will and feet out from the pipe. Any thought?? lets here them. Thanks

2. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

I wouod think that the spring steel would be A little difficult to use as an anvil.......except for light duty jobs......Just a suggestion here.....For a cheap easy to make anvil, get yourself a chunk of railroad track, I have one thats about 12 inches long mounted on a stand. Its cut out in the shape of an anvil using a torch and works very well......

3. ovendoctor

ovendoctor north of the lift bridge

I made a small bench anvil this summer out of a piece of narrow gage rail
    ita great for lite duty work

4. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have to agree with the posts above, find yourself a piece of railroad track and use it, I have 2 of them that I used until I got a real anvil. and on occassion still use them, depending on what I'm doing. Now if you are only going to be doing light work then by all means go ahead and try it. What is the worse thing that can happen.. the thing doesn't hold up, but then you will know that you need a real anvil. Just my humble opinion..
    Good luck and Happy hammering.

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

A spring from A semi ,Is 4" wide and A inch thick. I doubt I have use for one more than 15 minutes A year. And that is what I have to use. OPlus with A very messed up back it will be light enough to lift and move.

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Take a look at eBay #6250436251. Can you cobble together something like this?

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Avoid possessing any rail road track without a valid purchase receipt, its a federal offense, ask your local junk yard if you think different.