Ants!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Corky, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

It is Spring for sure. Came back from doing chores this afternoon and the counter and sink is covered with Ants.

What do I use besides poison to get rid of them??

2. MikeJoel

MikeJoel Well-Known Member

Product called Terro. http://www.terro.com/shop.php?show_prod_detail=1
    It is made with borax and I don't think it is really poisones to people.

We just put some down (comes with paper tabs, but we run out and just put in directly on the floor) and the ants swarm to eat it, after about a week you suddenly arent seeing as many.

Mike

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Boric acid.

I don't know if laundry Borax works the same way. It would be cheaper if it does. Someone on here will know!

Meg

4. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

chalk dust or diatomaceous earth ( pesticide one ) borax mixed with syrup put it down in bottle caps around where they are.. but best is to circle your foundation with limestone chalk.

Hope those help
    KC~

5. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

We have fire ants here, and they are terrible, so hard to get rid of and I don't like pesticides. Usually pour boiling water down the nest, but they just rebuild. Had an article in the paper that a study had been done, and urine would make them leave, so I told all the ladies at church if they saw Dear Hubby peeing in the garden, he was just killing the ants. :haha:

6. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

The Terro stuff or there we use to use another called "Jones Ant Poison". It all works the same. Put a dab on a piece of cardboard or directly on the floor (be aware it is very sticky) and you will see all the ants lines up like cattle around the a stock tank. They eat the stuff and carry it back to their nest and in a day or two they simply disappear.

The stuff just works wonders and is pretty safe. Certainly more safe than using a bunch a spray willynilly.

7. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Real soapy water kills bees-maybe it will work on ants? It clogs them up and they cannot breathe supposedly...

8. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

Grits...not the instant kind though. They eat it and the grits blow up in their tummy...ick

9. MikeJoel

MikeJoel Well-Known Member

The problem with killing ants individually is that they have millions and they keep hatching. You want something that they take back with them to kill off the ants at their nest.

10. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Try planting mint near any place that they come in. I have it growing at both the front and back door.

11. LWB

LWB Well-Known Member

Keep the sink and counter clean of food.

12. grandma*angel

grandma*angel Member

I sprinkle cinamon where they come in like on the window sill or i trace a line with cinamon powder across my door entrense and windowsills and i never until now have problems with ants. ( i put it where people ) step over it but ants crawl over it :haha: try it

13. groovy mike

groovy mike Member

Whisky

Put a jar cover down upside down with a teaspoon or two of sugar and just cover with whisky. The ants will drink themselves to death.