Ants taking over in Central Fla!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DeAnn, Aug 4, 2005.

1. DeAnn

DeAnn Well-Known Member

I have ants everywhere. I live on 5 acres in Fl and ants are on the majority of them. They are all kinds, not just fire ants. Heck they are coming in the house. And not just the kitchen, they are in the bedroom (found them in the CLEAN linen) coming down from the ceiling!!! We have found them crawling on the floor of the living room making a trail from a dead bug the cat killed. They chewed a hole in the bottom of my DH's dress shoes...he didn't wear them much. My compost pile is an ant hill and they have made my strawberry patch a condo. HELP!!! :help:

I detest pesticide but at this point I am ready to bomb the whole 5. Any nature friendly ways to rid me of the nightmare? Please!

Thanks,
    DeAnn

2. pyper7

pyper7 pyper7

Ever think of trying guinea fowl? I hear they love ants...maybe not an immediate solution, but something to think of.
    good luck!

3. DeAnn

DeAnn Well-Known Member

We used to have guinea fowl years ago. Lost them to the neighbors dogs. My DH hated them...too noisy :rolleyes:

But now that you mention it, we did not have an ant problem then. Maybe now he will let me get more. The neighbor is no longer a problem :)

Thanks...BTW I am originally from PA Bedford Co. Sometimes I really miss it.

DeAnn

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................About a year ago I purchased 4 qts. of Malathion Plus made by Ortho at H.Depot . I also have one of those Plastic , 25 gallon sprayers with the 12 volt DC sprayer motor . They will work quite well off of a Fully charged auto battery . I mixed up about 15 gallons of water with about 8 oz.'s of malathion , then I sprayed the foundation all the way around my 40 x 40 metal building\home . The "StepAnts" formerly known as "pi.." ants just disappeared . That was about 6 weeks back . Prior , to spraying they were invading my cabinets and anyother place they chose to inspect . This particular poision will keep killing for some time After it's initial application . It will also kill all insects that it encounters once applied . A "bugg sprayer" wanted like 800 or so and wanted me to sign a contract for subsequent visits which just are wayout of my budget . Malathion stinks but it really works . good luck , fordy... :)

5. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

OMG!I swear ants are taking over the earth! We currently live in MA on two acres and there are ants everywhere! In our front walkway alone I think I counted about twenty anthills. We get the big ugly black ants and the teeny tiny sugar ants. They drive me insane. I even get them inside the dishwasher. I get them across the hardwood floors in the living room.

Kat

6. OldFarmGal

OldFarmGal Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not the only one... :grump:

7. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We finally solved our ant problem in Central florida without any pesticides.

We moved.... :(

8. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I'm overrun with free range chickens and guineas...

I have very very few ants. Fire ants are dominant hereabouts. The only places they can successfully nest is in rock piles, where the poultry can't maul em...

9. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

We used to have problems like this here in Kentucky. Two things have helped this year. One, the @#$% drought has chased them underground. . . I suppose there is something to say about no rain, this has kept them from entering the house. Two, when we did have them enter the house, we placed TERRO® ant baits around the house which they took back to the nest, this helps tremendously.
    http://www.terro.com/

This is what GreenFire, the organic and hydroponic gardeners emporium has to say about this product.
    http://www.greenfire.net/hot/P111.html

A combination of boric acid and a sweet attractant. Ants will carry the bait back to nest, eventually eliminating the entire colony. Easy to use and effective, but takes time to work. New Terro liquid bait stations. Terro liquid ant bait in pre-filled ready-to-use bait stations. 6 bait stations per box.

It is available virtually everywhere. The main concern is children and pets, however it is available in enclosed pre-filled containers.

10. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Don't know if it will help but, I had always had problems with ants around the front of the house, but never behind the house. Then I noticed we had mint growing by the back door and none in front. Transplanted some last sping and havn't seem 1 ant in front this year.

11. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

My uncle has success with crumbled bay leaf. Ants dont like it.

And dish soap poured on the mound will make it go away.

Both have been tried and work.

Angie

12. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone...I'm glad to hear it's not just at my place (I thought it was because I am not Martha Stewart)!

13. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

Im sure Martha Stewart has them too, but maybe not in her house.
    And if she did, she would probably create some fancy bait and charge way too much for it.

14. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Good post gobug! Baits seem to work best for all Social insects.

15. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks Bgak,

I wish there were good baits for wasps. Those yellow jacket traps are a scam. There used to be an alternate label for KnoxOut to mix it with tuna fish for a yellow jacket bait. KnoxOut is a microencapsulated diazanon. Since it is totally odorless and tasteless(to the wasp), it worked well. I believe it is no longer available.

The hardest part about making baits is getting the right amount of toxicant. For example, if the ants are coming in for the cat food, the cat food would make a great base. One important attribute to good bait is food quality. So if you only need a teaspoon of bait, it is beyond most home equipment to be able to accurately weigh out 1-2% of the food weight in boric acid. Additionally, the commonly available product is not water soluable.

In one apartment account we had a pharaoh ant problem. Every room in every apartment had to be treated. They wouldn't take any of the commercially available baits. One tenant told me he took several food items and tested them. Seems like they went crazy over a certain brand of salmon. So I bought a couple cans and squeezed the juice out. Then I weighed the juice and used a good triple beam balance to weigh out 1% of TimBor (water soluable boric acid). I had about 80 bait stations for liquid so I put an eye dropper of the bait in each one. If you know anything about pharaoh ants, they are a total nightmare. It's not unusual for the problem to take a year to eliminate. Well they took the salmon juice bait and the problem was gone with that treatment.

16. DeAnn

DeAnn Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I need to be careful about spraying pesticides outside because I have free range geese, chickens, and ducks. I don't mind using them inside only locally on the trails. We use Triazicide...yuck. It works well on wasp nest also.

I still need to look at the links...thanks again!

DeAnn

17. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

Just before dark(When they are all in the hole) pour 1/2 cup of gas down their hole and cover with plastic or newspaper.Put some dirt on it to keep it in place.They will be gone the next morning.......idontno