Ants on cucs

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by blhmabbott, Jul 19, 2006.

1. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

I need some organic ways to keep these critters of my plants please! They're eating all the baby cucs :help: .
    Heather

2. blhmabbott

Could someone please help me with this...they are killing the plants.
    Heather

3. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Darned bugs just do not read the Web. I just read a couple of sites that say to use cucumber peels to repel ants!

But here's a site that lists many different controls for ants:

http://www.ghorganics.com/page11.html

I particularly like the suggestion of vinegar. You could spray the cucs and have them pickled when you pick them!

Seriously, though, good luck in ridding your plants of those varmints. Despite my best efforts, I'm still battling cucumber beetles -- though not in the vast quantities I've tackled in the past -- so I know what it's like to see your cucs succumb to pests.

Pony!

4. blhmabbott

Thank you Pony! I'm going to try the vinegar and/or lemon juice mixture. Very helpful article!
    Heather

5. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Ants probably aren't eating your plants, but they may be drinking the sugar from aphids. They basically farm aphids and will move them around to diferent plants too. Ants are very sensitive to smells because they use their antennae to pick up the "trail" of other ants to help them find food. The trail is basically formic acid which kills mites. I would use pyrethrin sprays, but they need to be sprayed directly to be most effective. There are also citrus sprays that work on ants. Another smell that drives ants crazy is clove. It basically blinds their olfactory senses and they won't cross it.

6. blhmabbott

Well, ya'll hit the nail on the head.......I got down close and actually looked at the plants this afternoon and sure 'nough....covered with aphids. I am not a happy camper lol. I didn't know all this stuff about the ants AND the aphids, so thank you for posting it and including the link. Is this pyrethrin spray an organic substance? If not, I think I'll stick with the lemon juice/vinegar solution and try the cloves. Thanks again guys!
    Heather

7. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Pyrethrin is an organic based compound, that originated with the
    pyrethrum daisy.There are many related compounds now like resmethrin, tetramethrin etc. Another organic compound is made from an orchid from South America called Rotenone. Just because they are organic doesn't mean that they aren't poisons. You should always read the entire label on any pesticide, and when you understand it, read it again. In essence you could call hot pepper spray an organic pesticide too. Many Puyrethrin sprays can be used on the same day as harvest as long as you wash the vegetables. They are still highly toxic to fish and other wildlife.