Ants hiding under toilet?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by adenblue, Apr 21, 2009.

1. adenblue

adenblue Well-Known Member

I've got ants coming out from the base of my toilet. I see a little brown smudge (pile of ants) pushing out from the edge once in a while and occasionally an ant walking around nearby. I haven't seen them anywhere else in the house. I'm on a slab so I can't figure out if they are coming in through the sewer or what. Anybody had this issue?

2. NickyBlade

NickyBlade Well-Known Member

Raid! We've been living in Hawaii for about a year and a half now and the ants here are terrible since it never gets cold. I have tried everything to get rid of them and the only thing that really works is to spray. We chased ants around our house for about 8 months... and now they've moved on. lol. My neighbors still have them though.

3. Katey

Katey Well-Known Member

Do you have a wood subfloor above the concrete slab? If so, I'd worry that the toilet was leaking, and the ants were attracted to the moisture in the rotting wood.

4. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

Keep wiping the area w/orange oil. Diluted maybe twice as potent as you would for a cleaning agent.

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Ants don't hide--they set up a home area that they like.
    I think your best option is to eliminate them, and try to find where they are coming in from.
    More than likely the hole the toilet (drain pipe) sits on.

6. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

Ants usually are looking for food or water. Sounds like you may have some seepage around the toilet flange ring. I fought with ants for years trying to keep them out of the kitchen, found the easy solution finally. Now I just put our lil dabs of honey in a dish in the living room and they all hang out around there. ;)