Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are currently using Avast free home edition on our computers without any problems that we can detect. Our ISP, Comcast, offers McAfee for free and is recommending that. Is there any advantage to switching? I understand that corporations use McAfee but for the home user is there any advantage of one over the other?

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sure. McAfee will annoy the crap outta you and hog up all of your resources :D. Seriously, I'd stick with Avast. Avast is Simple and to the point.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
the comcast version of mcaffe has lots of extras, though. there are a whole bunch of tools and such to use. i like the registry cleaner.

·
Once I was seven years old
3,046 Posts
We are currently using Avast free home edition on our computers without any problems that we can detect.
My personal view: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I use AVG also, but Avast would be my second choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My first choice is Avast. You will need to re-register the free version occasionally but that (in my opinion) outweighs the resource requirements of most commercially available AV solutions. Also, the Avast AV definitions are the same for free as in the Enterprise editions. BONUS - The Enterprise editions are quickly gaining ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts