Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing was my great grandmothers. It was used by her up until the fifties. She kept it painted red and sitting in her yard when she got too old to use it anymore. She gave it to me when she died. I painted it to match my shutters and my plan is to make it the centerpiece of a rose garden.
But, I can't seem to find out much of anything about it. How old is it? What kind is it? I'd love to know anything at all about it, if anyone recognizes it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha Idk about prawns but anyone who enjoys frog giggin would be happy.
That pool is attached to the house I grew up in. There was a pretty bad fire and the property has just been sitting for about three years.

·
Registered
857 Posts
all I can tell u is its horsedrawn,but i'd recommend yesterdays tractor.com they have i.d. columns for old machinery.luck!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Look on the axle. There's some type of lettering on the bearing boxes if they are original. I had one that was an oliver that I used with horses.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have much land really. I could use it for my garden I suppose. But most horses here are only trained to either ride or drive, not both. It'd be a waste of money to keep a horse just for that.

·
Premium Member
8,995 Posts
Those flat plate 'rooster comb' notched plates that allow for adjustment are different than most older deals I've seen. Most have a notched strap iron bent in a semi circle, these solid plates are different.

The cast iron little catches that lock into the plates, that move up and down with the rods on the levers - do they have any logo or number cast into them?

There are parts that remind me of IHC/ Mcormic Deering/ Farmall but the whole thing does not.

It does not look John Deere to me.

It could be a smaller company, there were dozens back in the day.

Are all the bolts square headed, or are there some 6-sided bolts on it, they could be replacements but square is old, 6 sided is newer if there is an original look to the bolts.

Paul

·
Premium Member
25,207 Posts
Its not a FARM disc, anymore than my Standard Twin is a farm tractor. Although advertised as being able to be used on a small farm, It would kill anybody over the age of 50 to try to farm 5 acres with it. Your disc is the same way. Great for a truck garden, but way too small for a farm disc.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Iron catches appear to read only 488 on each. All bolts are square to my knowledge but I'll double check tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, it's not as heavy as I expected. With a friends help I was able to pull it uphill where it is now.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts