Antique Caldwell Roses Up For Barter

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by SkyOne, Mar 17, 2005.

1. SkyOne

SkyOne Active Member

Hello.
    I have root startings of an antique rose called the Caldwell Rose. History is that the rose was planted back in the early 1800's. It is a wild rose that grows near Caldwell, Texas. Four years ago I saw some growing near the railroad track and after a heavy rain went back and got five startings. I planted them along the backyard fence. They took off. I have not had to worry about this rose since the first inital planting. They are georgous. My problem with them is they put off a long runner and are growing everywhere that I have not put the runners up on the fence. In the next couple of weeks I will be pulling them up. I did that last year and have another fence full haha. The blooms are small but many. They are pink and turn to white with age.
    Would like to barter some beautiful rose root starting for garden seed. We just put a large garden plot. I think I'm in zone 8. I'm between Dallas and Austin Texas. I know this rose does well in Mo as I gave some to my niece there. It also does well in the heat of the Texas valley.
    You can see this rose at
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y47/SkyOne_tx/

2. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I'll barter with ya. Those are a very nice rose. What kind of seeds are you needing?

3. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

What seeds are you looking for I have alot left from the last two years of over buying. PM me. I would be glad to barter for them. PAM

4. SkyOne

SkyOne Active Member

Great...Beans, squash, okra, corn, whatever. But I have my tomatoes. Would really like a good hardy snap type bean. I have chives, tomatoes, and one packet of beans. Not enough to plant the garden haha. We have been building the soil for three years with straw and manure so it is ready this year for whatever. My email is skyone@thegateway.net please put "roses" in the subject line so I won't delete you. Thanks :D

5. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

What type of corn? I have tons of okra seed, and I have tons of Contender bush beans.

6. SkyOne

SkyOne Active Member

Ed, I am sorta new to real gardening but a sweet corn for the table is what I'm interested in. We just plain love okra. I don't know that bean name but if it is a type I can eat and put up in canning or freezer it sounds good to me. How many starting would you like to have of the rose? I've not bartered like this before and certainly want a happy customer. Usually I just sell outright. I love this website..my kind of people :D Sky

7. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

SKY, I e-mailed you. PAM

8. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

I would like a start of the rose to. I have a heirloom corn which you can eat raw or let dry and grind into flour if you would like it, also have a couple of variteys of dry beans to.

9. SkyOne

SkyOne Active Member

I will post again when the runners put on new startings. Ed, Pam and Kathy I will be sending your startings to you. I know you will love this old rose. If anyone wants to get on a waiting list email me at h5acres@yahoo.com Thanks a bunch!