antibiotics

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by BobK, Jun 4, 2005.

1. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I have three new durocs...about 45 lbs...and one has a congested type of a cough....non productive and not that severe...yet.....Anyone have any preferences for one or the other....penicillin or oxytetracycline?

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

mix 5cc of tylan 200 and 5cc of la 200. Give for 3 days. IM behind the ear.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Worm them. 99.9% of the time pigs with coughs such as you describe have lungworm - and probably several other types as well. Don't go giving antibiotics unless you know they are ill and that is what they need.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I would ALSO do as Ronnie suggesgted. But pasturella hemalytica (sp) can kill in 12 hours flat. I have yet to find any profit in a dead hog and not knowing "why" it died. I have had hogs that were fine at night be dead in the am. All I heard was a small cough prior. So I guess it is up to the individual. Me personally would not take my chances. By the time these hogs are butcher weight. There will be no residue in the meat. There could also be permanent lung damage from the pneumonia, and the pigs will never grow good and thrive.
    JMHO on the matter.

5. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Teh pigs have been wormed....or so it was claimed.....I am not worried about the residue in meat 5 months after treating the animal. I am going to run the antibiotics and then reworm all of the pigs. A 10cc dose seems like a awful alrge bolus to be injecting into muscle tissue...I've also heard that injections into the front of the back leg and back of the front leg ar OK. Thanks for the advice!

6. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Never give more than 5cc in one site. Divide it up. Give 1/2 on each side.
    Use a hog snare. Order a slapshot, it is helpful when you can't catch them with the snare anymore.