Anti virus software

Discussion in 'Computer Questions' started by KandCfamilyfarm, Jan 13, 2018.

1. KandCfamilyfarm

KandCfamilyfarm Well-Known Member

Spring city Tennessee Dayton mountain Zone 6
    So what is the best free computer protection software for 2018?

2. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

I use Avast Free, but I haven't tried alternative products recently. What I can say is that I'm satisfied with Avast.

Solar Geek likes this.

3. backwoodsman7

backwoodsman7 Well-Known Member

https://www.av-comparatives.org/

Avast consistently rates at or very near the top of this outfit's real-world tests. There are some other things I like about it as well, like the Boot-Time Scan, the ability to make a bootable rescue disk, and the fact that it's relatively light on resource use.

Whatever you use, don't use Norton. All the worst-infected machines I've ever seen were running Norton.

Mickie3, CajunSunshine and mnn2501 like this.
  4. KandCfamilyfarm

does Avast Free protect you from malware spyware and junk

5. Nevada

Yes. It's the only protection I use.

KandCfamilyfarm likes this.
  6. KandCfamilyfarm

Thank you!!!!

7. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

AVAST is good, so is AVG - be careful though, they try to get you to use their paid version.

KandCfamilyfarm likes this.
  8. Nevada

To verify that I have good malware coverage with Avast, I downloaded and installed Adaware to see what it finds. As you can see, after running with only Avast the Adaware scan came up clean.

[​IMG]

9. KandCfamilyfarm

My system would fail if I tried to run two antivirus at the same time

10. Nevada

I just installed Adaware for a little while to test the effectiveness of Avast.

11. Pschmidt

Pschmidt Member

I have Avast, as well, almost 2 years now, no problems so far. Have also used Avira, free, before that since '08, and never had an issue, either. Not sure why I downloaded Avast over Avira on this pc, new pc and the names were similar maybe? Never had a problem with either program.

12. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I use VirusBarrier PLUS Malwarebytes even having a Mac there is bad things out there even for Macs. Ands after 10 years I am still nice and clean and just as fast as ever. LOL VirusBarrier I PAY for, and MB I use the Free version.

13. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

I would like your opinion, Nevada and A Knight, on Malwarebytes. I had an old computer cleaned up lately and the fellows at the shop told me all I needed was Malwarebytes, which they installed for me. I have had AVG on this computer, and Norton---

Paid Norton for 4 computers, was able to install only three, would not sign up with them again. Especially since Kim K. wrote that the free versions of AVG, and one or two others I cannot recall, were all that were needed for email and simple web surfing. (old folks computing)

14. Nevada

Malwarebytes is good software. I use it to scan for malware sometimes.

15. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

You didn't ask for my opinion but I'm going to chime in anyway. Keep in mind Malwarebytes is for malware, its not virus protection. It's very good at what it does.
    Norton works, but why pay for something that you can get for free - either AVG or AVast that is just as good. Both will try to get you to use the pay version (so be careful when downloading) - its not needed for the average home user.

BTW Kim Kommando knows almost nothing about computers, she has a team that does the actual work and she just reads it. I have seen her team throw in something totally wrong in the past on her.

16. RoBlaine

RoBlaine New Member

When I used Microsoft, I used ZoneAlarm for the firewall control, AVG free for antivirus and Malwarebytes for adware. Had very little trouble.
    Since 2007 I've used Linux. Started with Ubuntu, then in '12 switched to Linux-Mint with the Mate desktop environment (style). My wife has looked over my shoulder the whole way and followed along. She also started with Vista and Ubuntu in a dual boot. After about two months she noticed that she hadn't used Vista for weeks, so I removed it. In just over 10 years using nothing but Linux, we haven't had one virus problem. The only maintenance chore we put up with are backups. There's no extended and troublesome updating, there's no defragging, there's no registry trouble and we haven't had any trouble outside of hardware. Trouble free!
    My wife and I were both officers with a local chapter of the Pennsylvania Council of the Blind and had no problems doing our chores and keeping up with everyone else. We shared files, joined in video conferences, the whole deal. As for day to day use, again every bit better than Microsoft.
    My honest recommendation, toss Microsoft unless there's some program you can't do without and there's no Linux alternative and check into Linux. There are the ones I've mentioned as well as several others like Elementary, Zorin and a few other user friendly distributions.

17. Nevada

The face of the message often enjoys the reputation.

This gives IT managers the reputation of being the person to ask about PC problems, and even about server problems. After all, the IT manager is in charge of the entire IT department, so he or she must know a lot about it. We're used to that, since the foreman in a welding shop typically knows more about welding than anyone else in the shop. But the attributes required of an IT manager don't necessarily require knowledge of PCs or servers.

IT managers often coordinate the largest budget in the building. The IT department not only owns the servers and network infrastructure, but also all of the PCs in the building and the phone system. To manage that magnitude of a budget, companies prefer someone with an advanced degree, but not necessarily in computer science. An MBA will do nicely, and any experience with computers is also helpful but not required.

But IT managers enjoy a reputation of being knowledgeable about computers. They usually know more computer jargon than most people from hanging around the computer technicians, so they often sound like they know about computers. People will even bring problem computers to IT managers directly. To cover up their lack of knowledge, the IT manager will claim that he is too busy to look it it right now, but if it's left win him he'll look at it when he has a chance. That gives the IT manager an opportunity to take the broken computer to a technician who knows how to diagnose and fix the problem. But the IT manager will eventually take credit for finding and fixing the problem.

Of course, an IT manager who knows virtually nothing about IT is fertile ground for a TV sitcom, and British TV jumped on it with a TV show called The IT Crowd. In that show the IT manager, Jen, manages computer techs Roy & Moss. Roy & Moss know what they're doing, but Jen is completely out of her element and has no patience to learn. Here's a clip of that show to illustrate what I mean.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018 at 8:22 PM
    Mickie3 likes this.
  18. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I use linux, take a lot of virus off the table.

RoBlaine likes this.
  19. RoBlaine

RoBlaine New Member

I'm with 'Gary in Ohio'. My wife and I use Linux as I mentioned above, as well as some friends who've had their fill of Microsoft. No problems, no viruses with knowledgeable use, and it really is user friendly if you get the right distributions. You can't beat it.

20. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I just moved my 80 year old mom off of an windows and onto linux, Aside from a 5 minute tutorial on changes, task bar at side instead of bottom, she is very happy with linux. Saves me a lot of time cleanup and reloading your PC because of virus,malware.