Anti-Mosquito Beverage

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, May 9, 2006.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Can someone post the recipe for the homemade beverage that aids in repeling those nasty insects?

2. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

Here tell GARLIC works for Horses. You might try it.

3. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I found it from an old post back in June of 2004 by Sarah J---------------

"I drink sakanjabim. Those middle ages people had it right! This is sort of a medieval Gatorade...it's a vinegar and sugar drink. We start drinking a glass a day starting about now. Within a week or so the bugs *don't like you* at all. Continue drinking a glass a day - the vinegar in your system keeps the nasties away. It doesn't help with things like sunburn, flying objects from the lawn mower, getting scratched by your protective roosters, etc, but it *does* make a terrific alternative to Deet - keeps ticks off, too!

2 quarts water
    4 cups sugar
    Heat over medium flame until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add 4 fruity tea bags (I like blackberry or raspberry), 4 sliced oranges (peel and all - just toss it all in!), and 16 ounces of red wine vinegar. Cover and let it cool for several hours. Remove the tea bags and oranges, squeezing them out as you remove them. Bottle the syrup or put it in jars. We prefer it cold so refrigerate it or keep it in a cooler when we're camping. But it's *vinegar and sugar* so can sit on a shelf just as easily. DON'T try to drink this straight! This is a syrup - you mix it 1 part syrup to 3 parts cold water. My sister prefers hers warmed up but I can't stand warm drinks in the summer time!"

4. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Eat nothing but boiled cabbage and onion soup for about a week. Skeeters will stay away...and so will everyone else...your sweat glands will begin to emit an odor that is offensive to everyone.

You'll begin to smell like a turd.

Skeeters will stay away, but you may begin to attract blowflies. Also, it will wreck your marriage...

5. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the recipe, tallpines. I'm going to try it. Every year the mosquitoes leave my husband alone and swarm around me instead. If it works, this will be great.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    We use a formula known as 'skeeeter scatter', its plain garlic oil about a half inch deep in a spray bottle that is filled with water, nothing else. Just spray it in the area you are occupying. You can also spray it on the meat at a barbeque, kinda tightens up your guests, but you should not be hanging out with 'chickens' anyhow!

7. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

The Vinegar drink that Tall Pines posted really works. I used it last year for a while but...... I started to get an almost metallic taste in my mouth and started to smell like vinegar when sweating. I had to stop drinking it for those reasons, but it did keep the mosquitoes away.

8. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I used to have several recipies for the sakanjabim drink that Tallpines described. The PA Dutch call it 'Switchel', and many familys have their own recipies that are passed down for generations. Most that I have seen call for honey rather than sugar, cider vinegar rather than wine, and some have ginger, mint or other herbs added to it. The recipies are in storage right now, or I would look them up when I got home tonight.

9. wendys_goats

wendys_goats wendys_goats

Thanks for the recipie Tallpine. I'm definitly going to try it. The mosquitos are not in full force here yet but the ones i saw are pretty big.

I don't know about that there cabbage recipie I live in the middle of cabbage U.S.A.
    (its our town smell) :p but it don't make the mosquitos go away.LOL

10. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I tried this. Apparently, adding mint is common too. It was just too sweet for me to handle.

Donsgal

11. Claudia in NY

Claudia in NY Well-Known Member

"Eat nothing but boiled cabbage and onion soup for about a week. Skeeters will stay away...and so will everyone else...your sweat glands will begin to emit an odor that is offensive to everyone.

You'll begin to smell like a turd."

this is almost poetic, it's beautiful.

this is the reason I keep coming back to HomesteadingToday aka Countryside. No where else will you get such great information. thanks Boleyz for putting such a big smile on my face. Perhaps if you can rhyme some of the words, you might have a start of a pretty good county song...
    "Oh my girlfriend says I smell like a turd, but that's absurd...I just wanna keep the skeeters away, but that's okay,...." hmmm, can't think of another line..oh well, thanks again for the info.