Ant infested hive

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by deaconjim, Aug 25, 2006.

1. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

I have one hive in my bee yard that is infested with large black ants (carpenter ants?). I find them on the inner cover with a pile of eggs which I assume they are carrying out of the hive.

I have moved the hive to a new stand a couple of feet behind their original stand, and covered the legs of the stand in petroleum jelly. I went back this morning to check, and the ants are there in full force. I haven't had this problem with any of the other hives.

I have looked around the bottom of the stand, and occasionally see an ant or two (with my eyesight, there could be more but I can't see them), so I haven't been able to locate the colony.

My next step will be coffee cans with mineral oil in them. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Not sure what your bottom boards are but I sprinkle cinnamon on the flashing of our screened bottom boards, also on the top of the intercover too.
    I would go thru that hive frame by frame and hunt down where the ants are too before doing anything else. Those eggs are probably not bee eggs but ant eggs.
    I have been told borax sprinkled around the hive works too.

:D Al

3. deaconjim

I've been wondering about the eggs. If they are ant eggs, that would indicate they are nesting in the hive, which explains why I'm not seeing alot of traffic outside the hive, and why moving the hive, etc. didn't work. The good news is that it also means they aren't taking away my brood.

Looks like I've got some digging to do. Thanks, Al

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

We have problems with the tiny black ants eatting into corners of our top covers and even the bottoms of the hive bodies them selves. I just pull that stuff and put different ones in place and spray the ants and home with Ortho Home defence spray. After a few days I soak that stuff in a tub of soapy water for use once again.
    OH an I buy my cinnamon by the 5 pound jug at Gordon Foods far and away the cheapest source.

:D Al

5. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

Most inner lids have a flat side and an open side. If you have the open side to the frames, the ants will move in. If you put the open side up, the bees can access the area above and keep the ants out.

6. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

I just remove the inner cover for two or three days.

7. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

If you have carpenter ants, I know from sad personal experience that they like to eat rotting/decayed wood. Do you have some "soft spots" on the wood in your hives?

Just a thought,
    Pony!

8. deaconjim

As a matter of fact, the bottom boards are soft. I've got a stack of brand new screeen boards ready to go on this week.