Another waterer question

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by dalilies, May 21, 2005.

1. dalilies

dalilies Well-Known Member

I've had Burbanks in the tractor for 2 weeks now. Seems to be doing well but I noticed this morning when I filled his water bucket, he was very thirsty. I gave him a long drink out of the hose. When I depress the stick thinging on the nipple water, water comes out in a medium trickle. I've seen comments about adjusting the nipple to low flow but I have no idea how. There weren't any directions on my package. I bought the only kind that my local TSC handles. He is about 70lbs and drinking 5 gal. in about 3 days. Does this sound right or do I need to adjust something?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

2. BobInMN

BobInMN Member

I bought my nipple from TSC and mounted it in the side of a 55 gallon barrel. I noticed that it didn't flow very fast when I pushed on the center pin. I took the plastic thing with the screen on it out and drilled a larger hole in it. Be carefull not to drill it to big so the pin spring won't stay in. Works great now.

3. dalilies

Thanks. I'll tell hubby. I have him do stuff that can be messed up. Keeps me out of trouble :cool:

By the way, I forget who suggested putting the tank fitting in the bottom of the 5 gal bucket, but I wanted to say THANK YOU! I could only find a bigger size tank fitting and it wouldn't have worked out the side and I would have waisted a bucket and the time of trying to figure it out.

Jennifer

4. reeltamer

reeltamer Member

I contract grow feeder pigs (up to about 60 lbs average) we have nipples that the pigs drink out of and when you take out the plastic strainer there is a slot for a screw driver and you turn it for a selection of three holes. Small, medium & large. Mine are all set on medium and 25 - 30 pigs up to 60 lbs drink and get plenty of water from one nipple per pen. The water pressure on the line is regulated to about 15 psi. Hope this will help.

5. Paul72

Paul72 Well-Known Member

Some of the nipple waterers like the ones I have you can unscrew the screen off the back and then the plastic nut that the screen threads into. This plastic part has a screwdriver slot in it and you can rotate it with a screwdriver and select one of 3 holes, small medium or large. for me, the small or medium work good for the waterer hooked up to pressure, medium or large for gravity feed---Good Luck!

6. dalilies

Ours wasn't adjustable. So hubby made the hole a little bigger. He said there was also some "piggy backwash" gunk. He cleaned it up good and Burbanks is much happier.

Thanks guys!
    Jennifer

7. tim4mel

tim4mel Member

How long did it take your pigs to figure it out? I couldn't get one for a couple of weeks so they've been drinking out of a bowl/bucket. I was so thankful to find the nipple waterer so we wouldn't have to fill that 3-4 times a day. I'm hoping they figure it out though.

8. dalilies

I just held down the prong and let water trickle out. He came over watched and then started messing with it until he figured it out. It didn't take but a few minutes but he had used one before I got him. It had just been about a month since he had seen one.

Pigs are pretty smart. I'm sure your's will figure it out very quickly.

Jennife

9. chickenzippy

chickenzippy New Member

I was wondering about the waterers that you're talking about. I checked with my local farm supply store and the only thing they had they said had to be hooked up to a pipe. I went on the TSC web site and searched their site and came up with a chrome/pipe looking device. I want one that can be mounted on the side of a barrel or 5 gallon pail. How do you mount the one that you have?

10. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

You can mount it on a barrel with a bulkhead fitting.
    I just did it. Bought a 1" bulkhead fitting, a reducer to 1/2" a 3" pipe nipple--
    Attached the pig nipple (1/2 female thread)
    If your not sure buy the pig nipple and take it in to the hardware store they should be able to help you figure it out.

11. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

I put one in a 55gal drum, and the 3 pigs outside (~8months old) just lick the condensation off the barrel...I've tried holding the valve open, and they do lick the water coming out, but I haven't actually seen them use it. Maybe they're not that smart....I'm reluctant to take their water pail away as it's so hot out now.
    5 babies inside seem to be playing with the one on a 5 gal pail, I dribbled stawberry gelatin powder on the nipple, but I don't think they have the hang of it yet.
    Both were installed Saturday.

Kind of OT, but I put a bulk head fitting (3/4") on the bottom of a 55 gal drum w/ a float valve filling it from a spring. From that barrel, I have a 100' garden hose to the 2nd barrel with the nipple. I thought I'd get decent pressure from the 1st barrel, but it's just a small flow. Will a larger bulkhead fitting increase the flow? Even if it's reduced to a garden hose?

12. tracydeena

tracydeena Member

i purchased a nipple this year from our local feed store bought some galvanized pipe to reduce it to a hose thread size and hooked up directly! i did the water trough last year and let me tell you the nipple is the way to go! pigs are happy

13. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Going on 2 weeks, and mine have not figured it out. Should I pull the water bowl out and 'force' them to learn?

14. dalilies

Might try taking out the water bowl for a couple hours, less if it is hot. Go out and hold the nipple waterer open with your finger and let the water flow out. If they are thirsty enough they should come over and try to suck the water off. If that isn't enough to teach them out, you may be stuck with the bowl.

I wouldn't just remove the water bowl and leave for the day, especially if it is hot where you are.

Jennifer