Another Update

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DayBird, Feb 10, 2005.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Anyone following my "saga" knows that I'm about to move a flock of about 100 parrots about 2 hours from a trailer park to five acres of beautiful oak trees. There's also the list of other animals that's too long to repeat again. I've been told that I'd have to completely empty their building to have it moved. That would require renting a very large, pull-behind trailer, like the one lawn equipment is hauled on. I've been quoted about $200 for a 2 day rental.

It costs us $360 when we last had the building moved, and that was only a 30 minute trip. This time it's only going to cost us $500 to move the building and we can leave all the cages inside. I have to take out the utility sink and all the lights, the airconditioner and heater and all the other equipment. BUT, I can leave the cages. He won't guarantee that they won't be damaged, but that's ok. I can take them all down (they're hanging from the ceiling on cables) and clip them together with cage clips and nail them to the floor. This will keep them from sliding.

I still have to move the birds. A friend has a utility van that she'll let us use. Not only will she let us use it, she'll drive it for us. I'm going to start tomorrow morning making all the preparations.

I'm so happy about this.

Oh, have you heard? I've reserved a goat, I've now got a big stack of old Countryside magazines, last night I made my first batch of jelly ever and all the jars sealed, and we're expecting baby chinchillas. People on Homesteading Today are the best people to be found. Thank you.

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I happy things are working out for you. And to answer your son's question in your quote, "unless it's after midnight, then it's tomorrow." :haha:

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Any help on finding that jello? I bet it's under the couch. We'll find it when we move.

4. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

:haha: Under the couch, next to the peanut butter sandwich and the moldy pickle.

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

This is why we need to move every few years.....it is called deep cleaning!