Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that use a pre-amp. What is the REAL DEAL, does it help you get stations that you didn't get before you hooked it up?

I am trying to decide if I should buy one or not.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Those of you that use a pre-amp. What is the REAL DEAL, does it help you get stations that you didn't get before you hooked it up?

I am trying to decide if I should buy one or not.
Could you buy one with the understanding that if it doesn't work for you, you can take it back to the store for a full refund?

I can't help with if this will work with digital signals. You'll need someone who is more familiar with that process.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
A pre-amp is generally used when you have a weak signal and a very long run of cable or want to split the signal up to multiple tv sets. The amp is going to boost whatever signal you get, which compensates for loss in long cable or splitters. But if you don't have a viewable signal at the antenna to begin with, it's not going to help much. Best way to try it out is to buy one that can be returned, install the amplifier at the antenna, then plug in the power supply in the house and see if the signal improves. If you don't notice a diffference with the power on/off, it's not helping so return it.

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
Not to change the subject, but did you know that not all TV signals will be going digital in Feb. 2009? The Federal Law only required the "full-power" broadcasting stations to convert to digital. In rural areas, many low-power, Class A and translator television stations will remain analog.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I took 2 amplifiers and tied them back to back at the rental house. I was able to get Pittsburgh, Erie, and Youngstown analog locals. I was only able to get Youngstown HD though. Strange being that i am alot closer to Erie.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Not to change the subject, but did you know that not all TV signals will be going digital in Feb. 2009? The Federal Law only required the "full-power" broadcasting stations to convert to digital. In rural areas, many low-power, Class A and translator television stations will remain analog.
There are also a number or boarder stations that dont need to move. Along the mexican boarder and canadian boarder that will not move. Also "translators" will be moving but LOW power stations will not need to move.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
The mistake most people make with preamps is they put it back behind the antenna. SO all it does it takes a crappy signal and amplify the crappy signal. The preamp SHOULD be placed right at the antenna, That way you boot the signal at the source and overcome the signal loss in the cable. And if your going to that effort replace the coax to the antenna with GOOD RG.6, If the cable going up to the antenna is rg-59 replace it.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
And if your going to that effort replace the coax to the antenna with GOOD RG.6, If the cable going up to the antenna is rg-59 replace it.
If anybody does any replacing now at this point in time of coax, I would be getting the Best coax available only~~, especially when HD comes into play more and more, and that Cable is RG-6-SC and is at 3 GHz. in speed, nothing else lower then 3 GHz either. I had to replace brand new rg-6 rated at 2.3 GHz I was only able to get 85% of my HD Channels. By going to a higher speed cable at 3 GHz I am getting them all now.
NOTE: Not very many places not even Radio Shack has cable marked in GHz. And they did not even know what I meant when I asked them either~!!! Not even in Their catalogs was there mention on the "speed" of the coax.
But talking to Satellite installers and going on line I was able to order what is called 0 to 3 GHz "swept tested" coax. HD Signals carry a whole lot more info, and uses more "bandwidth" then analog and just plain digital.
So IMO if anybody is going to replace ANY coax and that goes from their antennas, Get the best, at least that higher speed coax. I did, and replaced all coax from antenna all the way to the signal amp. and from the amp to the TV. And now my Digital HD signal from my antenna is lot better then from just plain RG6

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The mistake most people make with preamps is they put it back behind the antenna. SO all it does it takes a crappy signal and amplify the crappy signal. The preamp SHOULD be placed right at the antenna, That way you boot the signal at the source and overcome the signal loss in the cable. And if your going to that effort replace the coax to the antenna with GOOD RG.6, If the cable going up to the antenna is rg-59 replace it.
I've got the HD rg.6 Got a nice 50 ft. run for $12.00 Walmart had it marked wrong (all of it) and gave it to me at that price instead of the almost $40.00 it was supposed to be.

But let's get this straight. My antenna (which is about 25 feet up) has a ballum (300 to 75 ohm) with a weather boot tied directly to the antenna. So I am supposed to put a short piece from the ballum to the pre-amp run a long extension cord (to power it) down the antenna, to work the best way?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
You do want to put the amp up at the antenna. But you will not need an extension cord. The right type of amplifier will just have two coax connections on it. Then there is a power supply in the house that feeds power to the amplifier through the coax, no other wire is necessary.

But, if you have only 25 or so feet of RG6 coax and no splitters, I don't think an amplifier will help you much. It's worth a shot but you're not losing much signal in that short run of coax. You may need to get a larger antenna or get it up higher.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
as an electronics tech specializing in communications, an ham radio operator and a Motorola two way radio tech I agree with the above post that good rg-6 cable with the amp at the antenna and the least amount of splitters are best. there used to be a website that suggested the antenna that you needed based on your location I will try to find a link if i can.

greg

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You do want to put the amp up at the antenna. But you will not need an extension cord. The right type of amplifier will just have two coax connections on it. Then there is a power supply in the house that feeds power to the amplifier through the coax, no other wire is necessary.

But, if you have only 25 or so feet of RG6 coax and no splitters, I don't think an amplifier will help you much. It's worth a shot but you're not losing much signal in that short run of coax. You may need to get a larger antenna or get it up higher.
Do you have a link to the type of amplifier you are speaking of?

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
http://antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx
this site will recommend an ant based on your location

greg
mrpink, don't take this personally as it isn't aimed at you... but that site isn't very good. I started out using it and have found better sites with better information that aren't hocking me their antennas. According to that site, all I should ever be able to get with their "best antenna" is one channel. I get 3 digitals right now and 5 - 8 analog (depending on weather, etc)

I've got an antenna. I am looking specifically for information on an amp. I don't want to buy one of their "blue" or "red" or whatever antenna's.

I just want REAL WORLD information on a pre-amp. I've seen people on here talk about needing them for your antenna and I want to know things like:

"I didn't have one, but I placed this one (name or link of pre-amp) on my antenna at (this location) and my signal increased (this amount) and now I have 5 channels instead of 3."

or

You don't need one if you have xxxx (whatever piece of information).

As I said, I am running through 50 feet of brand new rg6 HD. Then it goes into a splitter box, well actually the satellite tv (that I no longer purchase) box that splits it to two tv's.

So it sounds like an amp might do me good... but all of them I have seen you plug the box in screw the coaxial in and then out and that's it. I haven't seen any that have the amplifier that attached up at the antenna and then is fed from another box further down.

·
None of the Above
1,742 Posts
I went to antennaweb.org when I was looking into digital antenna's to try to get an idea what I needed because I didn't think the converter box was going to be adequate.

Anyway I ended up buying a DB8 antenna with an amp and the cable they recommended.

In the meantime while waiting for the antenna to get here, DW bought the 'box' at walmart. I hooked it up and got a few more stations and they are very clear/I'm impressed. But........... it was kind of a pain because it was continually loosing stations, have to rescan etc.

This morning at 8am, 27 degrees and 25 mph wind, I got on the roof (35') and set this badboy up. Only had to scream like a girl once when the ladder blew over and I couldn't get off the roof. Thankfully someone was listening for a "thud". This time it wasn't me.

After a couple of attempts at pointing the thing, I got the signal to 92% on every station and even get a few more than just the 'box' had. Channel connection is very stable, no drifting.

I went back and checked antennaweb.org and we have every channel on the whole color spectrum. Apparently it doesn't get any better than that.

Every channel is as clear as if there was a dvd playing. Wind shouldn't bother it much and it's mounted on a dish type mount.

I have to be happy because it's as good as it gets.

·
None of the Above
1,742 Posts
mrpink, don't take this personally as it isn't aimed at you... but that site isn't very good. I started out using it and have found better sites with better information that aren't hocking me their antennas. According to that site, all I should ever be able to get with their "best antenna" is one channel. I get 3 digitals right now and 5 - 8 analog (depending on weather, etc)

I've got an antenna. I am looking specifically for information on an amp. I don't want to buy one of their "blue" or "red" or whatever antenna's.

I just want REAL WORLD information on a pre-amp. I've seen people on here talk about needing them for your antenna and I want to know things like:

"I didn't have one, but I placed this one (name or link of pre-amp) on my antenna at (this location) and my signal increased (this amount) and now I have 5 channels instead of 3."

or

You don't need one if you have xxxx (whatever piece of information).

As I said, I am running through 50 feet of brand new rg6 HD. Then it goes into a splitter box, well actually the satellite tv (that I no longer purchase) box that splits it to two tv's.

So it sounds like an amp might do me good... but all of them I have seen you plug the box in screw the coaxial in and then out and that's it. I haven't seen any that have the amplifier that attached up at the antenna and then is fed from another box further down.
Go here antennasdirect.com for a preamp.
It's what I have. I had an analog preamp on the other antenna that I got from Walmart. Digital is different.
Everytime you use a splitter you loose 30% of the signal.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Well I needd one of those amps. I am getting 2 statrions that are aorund 85 miles away, over hills and such. I have a Magnavox 40-860 MHz -- 28 dB Gain.
Very short coax run like about 40 feet But Still I would not get one channel 18 UHF. and a very snowy picture on the other channel number 8. Now with the Amp plugged in a very very clear picture on both.
Here is more about it and a picture.: And at 30 bucks I would say not only did I need it but dern right I needed one~! And it works great. And now with HD signals coming on from that far away I sure am glad I have it now. I see this particular model number is no longer sold, but that is OK there are plenty like on the market.

http://www.summitsource.com/antenna-pre-amplifier-28-db-outdoor-offair-tv-philips-magnavox-m61112-television-aerial-vhf-uhf-fm-signal-pre-amp-high-gain-low-noise-117-vac-75300-ohm-part-m61112-p-4686.html

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
seedsperader I don't take anything personal here. i gave up tv in my house 5 years ago. i have not kept up with tv if you do not care for the link i gave you that is fine. i have not used it in years myself. every time you use a splitter you lose 3 dB which is 50% of the signal

·
lost in my own mind
330 Posts
i install antennas all the time, i use the channel master 3679 antenna and there cm 7777 booster. there is even a difference in the 3ghz stuff, if your not using solid copper center your might be wasting your money as it will give you the less db loss over the copper over steel stuff that in most rg6 coax

1 - 20 of 25 Posts