ANOTHER Tractor question...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by oz in SC, Aug 31, 2004.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Okay I know y'all are getting sick of me asking questions but there is a Farmall 806 wide front tractor for sale just up the road from our house here in SC.

The guy says it runs fine exccept the injector pump needs to be timed (he thinks).He says he spke to someone and they think that the arm that drives the injector pump may be broken.... :confused:

If you spray starting fluid it will start right up,now of course this to me seems a littl odd because if the injector pump wasn't working how would it run????

Anyway he is asking $3500 but he sounds kind of unsure of the price.

No implements come with it either.
    I am going to go look at it tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks oz.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The arm that drives the ...fuel (??) pump maybe? You've a good point though if its broken how does it run! Just thinking aloud here but isn't an 806 Farmall a little big? I'm still unsure what you want a tractor to do for you, so maybe it's really too small! If memory serves that's a 6 cyl diesel 105-110 PTO hp??

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Write down the model and correct year of manufacture and find a tractor dealership that will give you a ballpark amount to rebuild the injector pump . Then , take that figure and add alittle to it and use that number to make an offer on the tractor ...if you think it will meet your needs .
    ................Personally , I wouldn't buy any tractor unless , (1) it was a diesel of atleast 40 hp or so, and (2) it came equipped with a functional frontend loader .
    You should know that older type farm tractors have ONE , internally run hydraulic pump that is required to furnish power for the 3 point , any externally mounted hydraulic cylinders for various applications , and the power steering on the tractor, if equipped . The net result is that All hydraulic(s) will be very slow when you need to utilize more than one application at a time.
    ..............You should also be looking at the Small , Industrial type , tractors made by , Deere , Ford, (340a, 445, 545, etc.) , Massey, International , etc. Most small ind. tractors COME with a FE loader as standard equipment . Their FE loader will be Much ...Stronger and Much Faster. And, their Frame is BUILT Much stronger as well . People don't seem to realize how much of a value they really are . BUT, you need to find someone who knows how to evalute the condition as you don't want to get stuck with a machine that will need extensive repairs.........fordy... :eek: :)

4. oz in SC

Well yes it does seem like a rather large(HP wise) tractor from doing a quick look around on the 'net...We have 17 acres in North Carolina that is soon to be cleared and will then be reseeded in grass,well with a small woodlot as well.

Really just looking at it from a price/local deal angle...it is cheap(if it runs okay) and it is close by to where I can actually take a look at it.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I've not looked at that model up close, but they are nice dependable units. Sounds like too big of a tracotr for you to plant & maintain 17 acres, but as others say, not real sure of it's real purpose.

Now, there is the diesel injector pump, it doesn't run if that is _broken_ and a rebuild will cost $400-1000.

There is almost always a fuel lift pump, which is usually lever driven off of a cam. Not uncommon for the arm of the lever to break, and will cost you $40-75 to replace it, 15 minute job. This pump pulls fuel from the tank & supplies it to the injector pump.

Big difference on which pump we are talking about.

Diesel engines that are run on ether scare me - while it is a nessicary evil for those of us in cold climates, it is _very_ hard on diesel engines, and if the owner has used it liberally in the past...........

--->Paul

6. oz in SC

Went and looked at it yesterday and it is HUGE!!!!!

It is WAY too big for anything I would EVER need.

Also it is an injection pump(I guess) driven off the front of the engine that has a 'broken' shaft.It has an inspection cover that when removed shows the shaft and while turning over it doesn't move.

Anyway thanks for all the advice and the search is still on.

If anyone is interested I imagine it could be bought quite cheaply-the guy has no need of it and no-one else in this area would be interested.

It is an early model 806 model.