Another Tomato Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MsPacMan, Jun 19, 2005.

1. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

Overall, my tomato plants look great -- the tallest three or four are already taller than their 5 foot cage (made of concrete reinforcement wire).

But I have noticed that down bottom on some of the plants (specifically, the ones with the most leaves and tomatoes on them) that the leaves are turning yellow or brown and just sort of drying out.

I water my garden every other day and use a garden hose with a long wand to do it. I stick the wand down in that area to water so that I don't have to wet the entire plant.

Might this be causing the problem? Or is it something else?

2. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

well, i would first say your watering too much. every other day? or you have a virus. you cant control the virus or wilt, but you could cut down the watering and see if that helps.

randy

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Many tomato diseases are present in the soil. Watering or heavy rains will splash dirt onto the lower leaves and infect them. Mulching helps stop that splashing. Poor air circulation often also compounds the problem. I water only at ground level to prevent most foliage problems.

Martin

4. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Tomatoes need 1 inch of water a week. Do not pick tomato leaves, they need them.