Another Tax Rant!!! Just Blowing Off Steam

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by duke3522, Mar 18, 2005.

1. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Another Tax Rant!!! Just Blowing Off Steam​

Please be advised: Below are the rantings of a very tired, and somewhat mentally disturbed, property owner. Read at your own risk of being very offended or somewhat amused. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Here in beautiful Grant County the powers that be just got around to sending out the property tax bills that were suppose to be due LAST year. And since the bills are so late many of the other governmental units have had to borrow money to tide them over until property taxes are collected.

So about two weeks ago, before they sent out the bills, I thought I would get ahead of the game, print off my tax info, and mail them in. And since then I have been watching my account waiting for the check to clear, so as to make sure I don’t get charged a late fee. Well I’ve been waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Still no sign of the check.

Since I was worrying about the check, today I decide to call the Treasurer’s office to find out if they have seen it. The answer I expected to get was that they were processing the bills as quickly as possible and that I should get my receipt back very soon. Which would be fine by me. So when I call of course I get a digital answering service that prompts me through this, that, and the other until I get to the “Property Tax Mail Box.” By this time I figure there is little chance of actually talking to a person, or what ever form of life they have working in county offices these days, and I leave a message that I sent my check some time ago and I was wondering if they had any idea where it might be.

Well, later this afternoon, I got a call, and low and behold if my caller ID didn’t come up as the county treasurer. Well now, I think to myself, I will find out about that check. So I answer, and the county employee asks what they can do for me (I thought I explained that in the voice mail). I explain to them about the check and all. And the next question was “What is it you want from us?” Now, I thought I had just explained what I wanted for a second time, but since I was speaking to a county office employee I figured I would try again. Only this time I would only use words of two syllables or less.

Pesto, simple words worked, the county employee understood. Then the answer was, and I quote verbatim, “We have baskets and baskets of mailed in property tax payments in the back room, and we are so busy answering the phone all the time that we won’t be able to process them until after the April 4th deadline. And since everyone‘s trying to pay their taxes at the same time were swamped (Hmmm, don‘t most people pay their property tax when the bill comes in)” I was amazed. And not only because this county employee had actually used three and four syllable words, but because they didn’t even try to hide the fact they were taking a shot at me.

So then I asked the next logical question. Since I mailed in my taxes, and you are not going to process them until after the deadline, how am I to know whether or not you have them so I avoid the 10% late fee? Answer: Not our problem.

At this point I had several questions. :confused: Like, if your so busy answering phones how come I got the voice mail? What were all of you doing last week when you were closed so you could catch up on property taxes? Why don’t you hire some of the many unemployed people in the county and get that money in the bank drawing interest? How do you handle a regular tax year when everyone pays at the same time? And so forth and so on.

But then I realized that this employee had the power to simply make my tax check disappear. So I admitted defeat, and completely surrendered by being nice and telling them that I appreciated how hard they worked, and that I was sure that they had my check. I feel so dirty. :worship:

Now, as I sit here, I figure this is my situation. They probably have my check, but I won’t know for sure for three or four weeks. That will be well after the tax deadline. If they claim they never got my check, or that it was late, I will have to pay the late fee of about $100. I can’t write them another check because I don’t have an extra grand just lying around.

So what have I learned from this? First, next time I have to pay, I will pay in person or by certified mail. And since we are a year behind I will have to pay again sometime this summer. Second, when you pay a county office employee less than twenty grand a year, you get what you pay for. Third, it’s better to come on here and rant than to smart off to some county office employee and get in deep, deep garden fertilizer.

Boy do I feel better,

Duke

PS I would like to apologize in advance to all of the hard working, dedicated county office employees out there. Who shuffle paper everyday in an attempt to make our lives a little more miserable. This is so that you won’t have to wake up your 4 year old in the middle of the night to proof read your demand for an apology and show you how to use your email to send it to me. :no:

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Can you spend $30 to stop payment on the check in the stack of mail and send a new one, or a dated cashier's check or postal money order, certified receipt required to the county office?

Or drive down there with dated funds and hand it to someone and get a receipt?

Angie

3. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Hi Angie,

That is a great idea, and I just may do that. But mostly just me blowing off steam and trying to inject a little humor.

Duke

4. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Duke,

I pay my taxes in person at the county building. I do it because I get my receipt showing payment right then and there. No more problems.

Because our farm is 3 counties over from our home, I use this as an opportunity to stop by the various county offices that I interact with or which can provide information.

It might be that I want to find the owner of some parcel of land in the area. I also stop by and spend a little sit down time talking with our county extension agent.

I also try to do all this on a Monday. That's when our weekly market/auction is. Even though we don't keep animals, it is a place where everyone seems to go and it helps me learn more about livestock, etc. A couple hours there is always a pleasure and a learning experience.

In other words, I make a day of it.

Mike

5. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

It might be worth your while to do that. Some banks will waive a fee if you are in very good standing with them. You may have to go into the bank and deal with the manager directly to have it waived.

6. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

The thing i found out about putting a "stop" on a check is that
    after one year, if they still have it, they can try to cash it.