another strawberry thread

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Rouen, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

I've gotten 2 new varieties of strawberry, fresa and ogallala, can these be over wintered in pots?
    I dont have a place for them right now and wont till fall and that wont leave them much time to settle in before the frost hits.
    also what type of fertilizer is best? my wild strawberries seem to thrive on soil from the duck pen, would these varieties like the same?

2. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Since no one else wants to help..

yes I imagine not sure though.
    I like rabbit manure as it has all they need and will not burn them if applied directly.If your other ones do fine on duck pen soil these will also.

3. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Although I don't know what your winters are like, here in northcentral MT we can't overwinter things in pots unless they are put somewhere that will stay frozen. With the freeze/thaw cycles we have all winter and without the buffering effect of the earth around them, aboveground pots/plants dry out and die.

Burying the pots (and generally, the plants, too) in the ground makes a great difference and it's the only way to get rose standards to survive, for example.

Ogallala strawberries are a nice everbearer; I'm not familiar with the other one.

4. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

on a "normal" winter we have a steady freeze usually starting late Oct. and going to May, would they do okay if I put them in the garage?

I believe the Fresa is a spanish variety, thats the closets I've gotten to finding info on them, they are a large berry, flowers are about 3 or 4 times the size of the wild and ogallala flowers.

I gave them some soil from the ducks and they seem happy, thanks for the input.

5. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sure that if you kept them well watered before they froze and then they stayed frozen, they'd be just fine. Would they be too warm in your garage? You could put them outside and cover them with straw or bags of leaves -- anything to give them a little protection so they'd stay frozen and not thaw on warmer days.