Another strawberry question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Apr 16, 2004.

1. When you plant do you run them in rows like sweetcorn, or just scatter here and there?

2. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Rows. Doesn't matter too much to the strawberries, but slugs and snails just LOVE strawberries, and it helps if you can work through them, picking them over and seeing what's where and where you've been.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

16" would be ok. We put them about 12" apart. They need to be kept grass and weed free which can be a chore sometimes. Place the new runners they put out down the rows so the rows don't get too wide to reach across to pick the berries next year.
    Setting out a new patch every year makes it easier to keep ahead of the grass and weeds if you don't use herbicides.

4. Thanks Uncle,don't plan on using herbicides,but was planing on using lawn clippings for mulch.Good ideal?

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

This isn't the greatest picture, but I've started my new strawberry bed using a raised bed planting via the square foot method. Mine are spaced one per square foot. I intend to pot my runners and sell them, or keep as needed for replacements. I'm going to add a 2nd bed for the replacements.
    [​IMG]