ANOTHER SNAKE in the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shadowwalker, Jun 5, 2005.

1. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I just got a close encounter with my second tennessee snake!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was woke up by the sounds of my two cats sounding like they were fighting, except their meowing sounds were unreal like something was killing them. It was dark in the house and they were in the Laundry room. I got the new 8 week old grey kitten today and he was up on the cat litter box, by the water heater, stareing and yowling at one side of the water heater. Our other cat just got spaded yesterday and she was up on her hind legs yowling and weaving looking at the other side of the water heater.Our Laundry room is about 8'x8' square. Cozy. Iwalked in, flicked on light, turned saw cats, glanced at heater in time to see a large 3 to 4 foot snake start to come out! In front of the doorway. The grey kitten jumped at the back of the snake about halfway on it. The other kitten ( about 4 months old) jumped on it's tail behind the heater. My immediate weapons? A hand towel and a jug of clothes soap. My back to the clothes dryer I let fly with the soap as his head came around to strike the kitten! I smashed it into the floor. Again he raised to swing around to get a cat, grey was gone. the other cat was on his tail shaking it. The snake hit the wall above the cat with the tail. she also jumped back. The snake then zipped down a hole behind the water heater. It was a hole I did not know about. It seems the Plumbers who did a very less than desirable job this winter. Left the holes that the hot and cold pipes came up through the floor in. When they re-routed the plumbing. I thought I had every hole in the house fixed. I did not. These two are now, the biggest was about 1 1/2 inch across. The cats are still walking around the house looking wild.
    This happened so fast I cannot tell you what kind of snake it was. Only that it was mainly black with brown stripes head to tail.
    Now I take ticks off me almost every time I go outside. I do not, repeat, do not. Want to be meeting snakes everyday , from now on.
    It's now 12:00 AM, I think it'll be awhile before me and the kitties calm down. I'll got get them each a can of food, maybe two. Real glad my wife didn't see this. She's at work, I'll tell her when she gets home. shadowwalker

2. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

The good news about your snake in the house is that it was completely harmless in terms of poison :D However, the bad thing about an unexpected snake (yeah, I'd call it unexpected when it's in the house!) is that they can make you hurt yourself trying to do something about it.

Glad you found the entrance so you could seal it up. It's not nice having that kind of surprise sprung on you.

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Expanding foam. Good stuff.

4. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Be thankful the snake showed the poor work of the plumber....AND be thankful for all the mice and rats it will eat. Most large non-posionous snakes also eat posionous snakes.

5. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

OMG........... :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

What BRAVE kitties you have!

7. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Limp Bisket LOL

I'd move, really I would. I'm terrified of snakes, especially snakes in the house.

Stacy

8. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

One of the side boards at my back door is rotton at the bottom. Told DH several times to repair it. Found a stupid garter snake desparately trying to get back out throught the screen. Could have easily went back out the same way it got in. The door was closed so it was trapped between the screen and door. I opened the screen door and let it back out.
    Gotta get on DH again to get that fixed. :)

9. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I don't know your area at all so don't know what species of snakes you have. I like snakes myself and feel lucky to encounter them.

Something worth thinking about though is this. Snakes will enter dwellings for two things. The first and the most usual is because they are drawn in by food. This usually means rodents! And the rodents are drawn in by the same thing,food. I am thinking you leave kitty food out all the time for your kittens? Worth a thought and a review of how you feed.

The second reason reptiles enter homes is for the heat. That's less common though.

You can easily trap any snake that might live in an undesirable location that you would like to relocate.

This is an excellant site for snake ID.

http://forums.kingsnake.com/forum.php?catid=63

LOts of hugs to those kitties. LQ

10. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I wish I was a fly on the wall and saw that LOL :haha: but I am glad no one was hurt. I would be concerned about how the snake got under your house. EEEWWWWW!!!!

11. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

You and your kitties are all so brave! I second the idea that you might have a mouse problem. Snakes only go for food. Or heat, but it's not winter.

12. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Thanks Rose I'll do that. I figured that mice would get under the house anyway. So when we moved in I left two holes in the foundation open. One was being used by a weasel. I seen it come out of the holes twice with mice and go into the weeds by the barn. I figured that snakes have a purpose and mice have less of a purpose. These are the only two holes in the foundation. When I get the notion I open the entryway on both sides of the house and look in with a flashlight to check. This is as far as I go though. I am checking for a snake nest, I guess. Don't know what I'll do if I get one. In 1977 I was collecting small black scorpions in Wyoming and had a gallon can. I fell going up a steep incline, I shoved my hand in the bucket,yes got bit. Eight times. That fall I was grouse hunting and got bit by a prarie rattler in the leg, while I was eating lunch!!!!! He crawled out of the log we were sitting on. Five of us sitting on the same log, and I got it. Both times the hospital was only about 30 to 45 minutes away. I can say that from experience, the bites are not as bad as the "recovery pain".I was talking to the man I got the grey kitten from. The momma cat has brought several snakes in to the house porch, both poisonous and non. And very dead. I'm awful proud of these two cats, of mine. We haven't got a dog yet. I just might try to get them to bark when company comes up the drive. shadowwalker

13. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

Never a dull moment at your house is there? LOL

14. Tracy55

Tracy55 Well-Known Member

We get snakes in our cellar all the time and I just take a shovel and chop of their heads. I love animals but snakes are not in this category.

15. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

suuuuure....blame the plumber. ;)
    --f.g.
    (plumber's wife)