Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from town, went in the local grocery and found that they are having a sale on store brand canned veggies, broth and cream soups. I kinda sorta loaded up on these, .59 a can, savings of 30 to 60 cents per can. I know, mighta got em cheaper somewhere else, but this is the only store in town other than Wal Mart. Got beef and chicken broth, cream of chicken and mushroom soup, corn, sweet peas, potatoes, italian green beans, and a couple cans progresso soup at $1.25 a can off on them. (I know homemade is better, but for one, I'd just as soon open a can.)

Now the question, aside from the broths, all are in pop top cans. Any thoughts or concerns about lengthy storage of these veggies in pop top cans? I just think the shelf life might be shorter on these that regular cans. Won't really matter as DD is in process of getting a divorce and likes to shop at Daddy's house, but the question remains for long term storage.

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
I don't know and google doesn't seem to have an answer that I can find in a reasonable length of time. Hope someone else has a more helpful answer.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I don't know either, but I have the same thought. I just don't think they're going to hold up in long term storage like the old style. They're thinner altogether and especially at the perforation line (can't think what else to call it, lol). I don't trust stacking them either, which is a huge waste of space.

I hate that they're switching everything over to the pop tops. First it was plastic instead of glass jars and now this. They're also more dangerous, especially for children, elderly people...and just klutzes like me. :D I also have trouble pulling them sometimes when my carpal tunnel is acting up. I can only imagine how hard it must be for elderly people with decreased strength and arthritis, and they're probably the ones who rely on canned goods the most.

Even the cheap plastic stuff is getting cheaper. My son buys margarine in bowls, and the last one he bought has changed. Now instead of round it's square (don't have a clue as to the reasoning behind that). But it's so thin that you can't even pick it up with one hand or it crushes in on itself, and the lid is so flimsily made that it only "seals" on one corner, pops right off with any provocation and seals so badly that the margarine turns dark on top within a day or so from being exposed to the air!

I don't know if it's actually intentional, but it seems like they're playing into the government's plan to make sure we're not able to prep and so be totally dependent on day to day shopping, at which point we're totally at their mercy. Sorry, I know this isn't S&EP, lol, but it gets my dander up! :D

We rarely ever see prices that good around here, so you did good! I've been trying to grow all my own veggies, but didn't make it this year, so stocked up on some canned veggies and fruits myself a few weeks ago. I make my own soups though. :)

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dropped can thing is why I asked. I dropped one some time ago so know what you speak of. Seems to be a weak point for long term storage. Also, opened a jar of MiracleWhip a few months ago, apparently it had been dropped at some point and the seal had broken. Sure wasn't a pretty sight when I took the lid off. I ususually avoid pop top cans for this very reason, just gave in to the price here.
Ed

Reactions: Twp.Tom

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TxMex, did a short search last night after I saw your post, plus side found a lot of stuff to read, LOTS, mostly on prepping, and lots of neat stuff that goes along with it. used the search question, shelf life of veggies in pop top vs regular cans
Ed

Reactions: TxMex

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Do not give me more stuff to research! I swear youtube sucked out part of my soul while I was doing bee research today! I finally had to shut down the computer and walk away and make myself be productive. Then of course it got on towards evening and it sounded like I was in a shooting gallery and I had to go make patrols of my place on the 4 wheeler in the freezing drizzle. Blasted duck hunters! :hair

1 - 7 of 7 Posts