Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a silly question..so you may not want to have a drink in your mouth when you read this.. when it is freezing outside, do I need to do anything special about my cows udder, I know...cows stay out in the field all the time and they are fine. I just don't want to go out to milk her and her teats break off like icicles :eek:
We have had all kinds of animals, just not a milk cow. So please bear with me and my silly questions.Thanks in advance .

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
First off, that is NOT a silly question!

One thing that I notice during cold weather is that some cows udders get chapped. You can use Bag Balm or another product if this happens. Cows CAN get frost-bite on their teats, a layer of Bag Balm or some other greasy lotion will work. There are specially formulated 'post-dips' too, which have glycerin in them and provide some insulation.

There are a lot of veins through those udders which keep them warm. I am more worried about the temp of my OWN hands, and the response I will get from touching the cow with icy fingers...:eek:

The only thing you really have to watch out for is that a cow doesn't fall down on the ice. If she goes down and cannot get back up she can actually freeze to death from the udder being in contact w/ ice. This is a horrible and sickening situation.

We had BAD icestorms last winter here in SWMO, I felt so bad for the cows...a neighbor lost one of his dry cows to the situation I described above. Cows are just not built to walk on slippery ice.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
As mentioned, keep the teats well greased. I don't know the product Bag Balm but it sounds very similar to a product I use.

Also, some cows can be pretty smart. I have several, that in the winter, come into the shed with their udder caked in cow dung. It took me a while to work out that this was a deliberate ploy on their part and wasn't done to annoy me:D They do a nice big, warm turd then sit down so that their udder is smack in the middle of it. One cow has become so adept at it that she can add to it without standing up, swivel around so her udder is in the warmest part and can create a veritable mountain overnight.:cool:

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ronney..Now I get it. Hazel has been laying in poop for insulation lol It does make sense though. She never was a mess when I would go out in the morning. It has been in the 20s the last few nights and she has been caked in poo. I wash and wash....EWWW.
Do you guys brush off the worst part, then wash off the rest? She can really be a mess in the morning. I clean her stall every night and put in fresh bedding, and in the morning she is covered in poop. YUK I hate to get her so wet, but her udder is really a mess.
My Dh said my hair has never been so clean..I have to wash it every morning because no matter how much I wash her, or tell myself not to lean on her side. :( I still smell like poo when I come in. grrr
I am kinda concerned about icy weather too, our walk up to the barn has NO grass, thanks to the drought, so I worry that in the winter it will be a problem, hopefully we won't get alot of ice.
Thanks so much for all the help, I know I am full of questions, but this is so new, I want to make sure she is ok . :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts