Another sick calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by canadianmandy, Aug 4, 2006.

1. canadianmandy

canadianmandy Certified Animallover!

Hi again all,

Thanks for the awesome advice you gave last time. We might be getting another calf, another sick one. This calf was doing well, is a bottle baby, but she ended up with pneumonia and is not doing well. The farmer is a lone farmer and extremely busy and since he has so many other bottle babies he doesn't have the time to put into this calf. If we do take her in the AM, please let us know what she needs to be on to pull through?

Thanks for your support, if we don't take the calf, it will die there for lack of time, not love.

Blessings,
    Tamar

2. canadianmandy

Ooops! I am posting under my daughters nick, I didn't check to see if it was her or myself logged in. Well she will be the one giving this care so her name on the thread is fine.

Blessings and hugs to Mandy,
    Tamar (Mom)

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Again, I'm no expert here- just sharing what I've learned from my vet during the course of my calf raising and from my personal experience. Pneumonia is the number two killer of calves. Very serious. Keep her warm and dry. Change her bedding often, never let it get humid or wet. Pneumonia responds to penicillin. I'd go with a twin form of penicillin (Twin Pen is one) that maintains therapeutic blood levels for two days (less you have to inject her). It is a sub-q injection as opposed to regular peniciliin. The milk replacer she should receive at this age is a milk based replacer. Check the ingredient label. Before three weeks, calves can't utilize soy based replacers very well and a sick calf needs easy to digest nourishment. If you haven't learned to tube, learn now. It is not as scary as it looks. The tube with the bulb on the end is best. She needs a lot of water daily to prevent dehydration and if she is not nursing, she needs to be tubed. Don't let her go without the water she needs, which depending on her weight can be as little as 2 quarts a day to as much as 4 quarts a day for a young calf (in either replacer or elctrolytes). If she's skipped a feeding or two, give her electrolytes first. This is as far as my experience and learning have gotten me. I hope she does well for you! I'm gonna be rooting for you in my little corner over here :hobbyhors

4. Tamar

Tamar Well-Known Member

Thank you Tango!

Gertie has arrived.

We were told she had a very strong dose of some expensive penicillin...My daughter couldn't remember the name...and he said that if tomorrow, which would be day three after the meds..if she had not improved, that he would give some other penicillin.

The diet Gertie has been on, was one quart of milk in the AM and another in the evening, with some sort of grain/corn mix "if" they wanted it. Gertie didn't.

Here's the deal
    I have NEVER come across a cow stinking as bad as Gertie does. She shoots green diarhea...and I near lost my supper...it's filled with what looks like dead tape worms!

You cannot even see her little hooves, she has that much old manure build up and caked on her hooves.

Do we stop any milk? Tonights milk came straight out of a cow that calved a day ago, they thought it might help her.

What to do for worms?? I don't think Gertie is but a week old.

We gave her some pepto bismal, she just drank two pints of powered mix that was given us, that is like pedialite (sp?).

We can barely stand being near her, in truth it's like being near a dead carcass that's been baking in the hot sun for a few days.

Can we bathe her in the heat of the day tomorrow? What to use to clean her up with? Can we use something to get all that manure build up between her toes?

We did get her to stand a few times, and she can walk around. She stands about 15 minutes and has to lay down.

What are the symptoms of pneumonia? Do they wheeze? I grew up on a hobby farm, helped my dad milk the cows and goats...we never had sick animals so this is new to me.

Any advice from those of you who "KNOW" cows/calves...please feel free to share. I won't be able to talk to my vet until Monday AM.

Blessings,
    Tamar

5. canadianmandy

We bathed Gertie. I cleaned all her hooves out they we caked in poop and old hay. She has scours somthing feirce. We have taken her off milk and are just giving her electrolites. She drinks it right out of a bucket. I am keeping her in the shade. She is still shooting tape worms everywhere her poop is more like water. We are bleaching everywhere she poops. She lays around in the heat of the day but seems to perk in the early morning. The Flies are horrible.. any Ideas? Here eyes tear alot. and she grinds her teath. Are we mising anything in these symptomes... Is their something more we should do... I really want Gertie to pull through she is such a sweet lil girl.

Please help any Ideas or advice would be helpful.

TY all
    ~`*Mandie*`~

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Spray her lightly with any horse fly spray to give her some relief from the flies. Dunno if you can deworm a calf so young. I'd say a vet call is in order unless a person with more experience replies here. Are you giving the kaopectate for the scours? There is also medicated milk replacer available with neomycin and oxytetracycline for bacterial scours caused by e. coli. I've tried several approaches to stop the scouring in my latest bottle calf- if something doesn't show signs of working by the end of the first day, I'm thnking ahead to the next product. Calfnotes.com has a lot of information on calf raising.

7. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Mandie, your #1 problem is the scours so I'll just address that situation. Stop milk products all together, which I believe you have done. I use consume soup, warm water, crushed vitamin c, baking soda, one raw egg, one probiotic capsule, and sure jell to combat scours. Nothing to it, animal should recover within 72 hours. Remember no dairy products. Once the animal is back on track, try feeding it three or four times a day instead of twice, total ounces not to exceed one gallon per day. Multiple feedings in smaller quantities should prevent re-occurring scours. Just think about a new born bull calf, does it drink 1/2 gallon per feeding from it's mama? Heck no......John
    As far a grinding teeth and flys that the least of your worries....John
    You never mention the calves age, no quite sure how she could have tape worms so early in life...

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Is that vegetable? Thanks for the recipe, btw.

9. topside1

Sorry Tango but it's beef consume, just don't tell the calf...John

10. canadianmandy

topside ty for the recipe and advice we gave her some of your conncoction. She has been off dairy since yesterday morning. She still has worms but she has been wormed. We gave her a pill for scours its to get rid of the scours. And the probiotics.
    Should I try milk tomorrow morning or wait till her bowl movements get normal.?

I have no Idea how old she is I will check tomorrow and let you know. I dont think she is to young though.

TY for all your help I will keep you updated.

11. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

give her a calf sulphur bolus( 2 each) with a bolus gun and a shot of biomyicin (3 cc.) under the skin at the armpit. when calf poop stinks it is the scours for sure. this usually 99% of the time solves the problem. also she will need a 7-way shot,2.5 cc. with a booster in two weeks. If she has gone to long with scours, she will need tubed with electrolytes. my own opinion and experience.

12. topside1

Absolutely no dairy products for 72 hours, if you jump the gun you and the calf will be sorry. If your worried about nutrition give an extra egg per feeding. Remember try multiple feeds if your day permits it...John

13. topside1

You never mention the calves age, not quite sure how she could have tape worms so early in life...

14. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks John :)