Another septic question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HarleysMom, Dec 16, 2004.

1. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

My neighbor had a septic tank put in after the well was put in. The septic and leach field run toward the mountains behind the house and away from the house and the well is in line with the front of the house. There is not much difference in grade but there is run off from the mountain area that runs past the septic toward the well. The septic was inspected by the powers that be but to me it seems like a poor arrangement with the natural direction of run off and possibly the underground flow of water going from the septic to the well. Not sure how to phrase the question here except: Is there something wrong with that setup? The house wasn't finished and I don't think they used the toilet in there very much. They stayed in a shed that was smaller to heat since they were only here in the winter.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Provided the well casing is properly sealed at the top of the ground, the system should be OK.

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I agree with agman. Studies have shown that it takes only 3 feet of soil to reduce pathogen levels to "non-detectable" in a compliant system. As long as the well is 50 to 100 ft. from the leach field, any ground water contamination will be attenuated in that distance. In Minnesota, we have many people who live on lakes. The septic is almost always behind the house and the well in front of the house. 99% of the time, ground water flow is toward the lake (ie, toward the well) Rarely is there ever a problem with this type of set up.

4. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

Thanks, that was something I had always wondered about. I didn't know how far the fluids from the leach field would migrate or if they were even able to contaminate a well.
    I had heard about runoff from feed lots contaminating surrounding wells with nitrates and that was what made me wonder in the first place.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Well drillers are notorious for doing a poor job of sealing the casing. The resulting gap is a direct access to the aquifier for all types of contaminents. Abandoned wells are additional problems that need attention also. The earth is compariable to a pincushion now with all the holes poked into it and those that go to the acquifiers concern me. We do not have another source of clean water that I am aware of, do you know of another?