Another reason WAL-MART Sucks.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Have you ever been in a hurry and bought a money-order at Wal-Mart to pay for something you plan to mail order? WEll I have but won't do it again. I recently won a DVD off e-bay and thinking that a Wal-Mart Money order would be fine mailed off payment. GUESS WHAT. Wal-Mart won't cash there own !@#$%^ Money-orders. In fact if you read the back of one it makes one down right leary of them altogether. I found out that banks treat them as "risky" checks.

It gets better.

I called Wal-Mart and asked for customer service (talked to Jill) Jill informed me that they are trained to NOT TELL the customer unless directly asked about the cashing policy. There is a loop hole If you do not fill out any part of the money order they "might" cash it. Under certain circumstances. I told her that was pretty dirty and explained the ideas behind money-orders being same as cash but safer to mail. Then she said well if you don't fill them out and the receiving party says they didn't get it your !@#$%^'d and even if you do fill it out you have no recourse except against the original sender and receiver NOT WAL-MART. They even print that on the money-orders.

SO:

Let's buy our money-orders from the good old Post Office at least for now they'll cash one for you. (as long as you have your papers) [I.D.]

Kenneth in NC

2. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Finally Kenneth, your seeing things my way.

I had a order out it was like $500 and they couldn't clear order(part unavailable) and sent the money order back.

so I went to my small town post office, and she said I would have to cash it at a larger post office, I finnally did, and I didn't even have everything filled out(but I could fix that real quick)

Plus it helps when your postmaster is a distant family member! :)

3. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

Walmart has a well deserved bad reputation. I refuse to shop there, or at Sams which is also owned by them.

4. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

I wish I could say I don't shop there. I don't want to shop there, but don't have much choice. All the other stores around here are so pricey, we can't afford them!

5. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I refuse to go there also. Did they air the show on your local station about how they can have such low prices? I didn't like the place anyway the one closest to us is on a dangerous road and it's not very nice inside. After watching that show even if my mom asks me to go, i refuse and suggest somewhere else.

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I usually use the post office, but have occassionally used Western Union's money orders. Never even knew WalMart sold money orders.

Yes, I shop there cause it is the only game in town, otherwise I have to go over 25 miles. I go to many other stores as well though. They are usually my last choice, but it is hard to argue with limited dollars to spend and their price 40% less on an item I can get a locally owned store.

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I only take USPS mail orders if you use MO in my ebay auctions... all others I return and cancle the sale since if you do send it, you didnt read the auction, the payment instructions OR my nice note saying ONLY USPS money orders (if your using a MO).

LOL

try fixing a wal mart of giant eagle MO gone wrong... good luck!

8. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

So you have done the price comparison I take it? Have you done the quality comparison? Such as brands at Walmart vs a better brand at another store (lasting longer, etc)...
    I stopped shopping at Walmart about 1 1/2 years ago and have not missed it nor have noticed a difference in my grocery bill $$$. Part could be because I don't buy the unnecessaries because it's no longer in my face like at Walmart.
    JackieA

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Jackie, I can buy the same brand and quantity of vitamin at WalMart for $8.50 and at the local co-op it is $13.95. Same product, severely different price. I'd be foolish to drive for 40 minutes to pay that much more. I have the self-control not to buy something I don't need--important in America today.

Stores like WalMart, Target, Barnes and Noble, etc. are the result of capitalism. If nobody liked them they wouldn't exist. They started out by offering something and consumers went for it.

Maybe this is how the horse and buggy people felt when we went to cars (all those jobs lost!) or mass production of shoes in the shoe factories (what was a cobbler to do). I am being a bit sarcastic, but this is part of our growth. If we don't like it we must change it.

But choosing one chain to target out of the many is silly. It would be impossible to not purchase items affiliated with large corporations at some point in the process. It might be your gas station, feed store (he gets courted to carry brands, etc.), or the grocery store, but everyone in America shops somewhere owned by a large corporation.

Edited to add: I only buy a few grocery items at any major chain store, otherwise it is Save-A-Lot or Aldie's (still chains but way cheaper). But I gotta say WalMart carries shelf-stable Parmalat milk and no-one else in my area does, so I get that, along with a few other name brand items I can only get there or that they price best.

10. Johnny Swank

Johnny Swank New Member

We've canned Walmart about 2 1/2 years ago and haven't missed it. Everytime I went in there I felt like cow in the slaughterhouse, just getting our stuff and being funneled to the checkout.

I feel for your vitamins though, they are cheaper there alot of the times. My Dladyfriend gets hers online somewhere at a good discount. I'll ask her where.

-JS

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

This board has really made me think about Walmart.I view them now as dirty,unpleasant junk sellers.I wont go there if I have ANY other choice.Wife still goes for detergents,its a couple bucks cheaper.But I rag on her when she does.I dont want my money supporting them in any way shape or form.
    Its total trash garbage in my book.

boo boo

12. JackieA

13. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Walmart quality is suspect. The Walmart buyers are constantly badgering suppliers for lower prices or risk losing the sales to Walmart. Once Walmart accepts you as a supplier they quickly become your biggest account giving them leverage to drive your price down.

Over time I suspect the supplier reacts by substituting a product that looks the same but it's not made as well. Lately I've noticed that the gray socks I've bought from Walmart for years seem to only last a few months before the elastic is shot and the sock comes halfway off every time you remove your boots. To justify the poor elastic, the socks are now sold as "Relaxed Fit" socks?????? Which means they won't stay up. Having a sock gradually work its way under your foot inside your boots while working is PITA.

Welcome to Walmart. Selling poor quality products at prices low enough to entice folks to buy the stuff and carry it out of the store to be replaced eventually by poorer quality stuff.

14. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Good for all of you who have managed to get away from shopping at Wal-Mart. Or the Evil W as my mom calls it. I for one DO drive almost 20 miles further just to not shop there.

The thing that really gets my goat about them is they used to promote "American Made". Now you are hard pressed to find something not made in China.

Sylvar

15. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

Walmart is not the same company since Sam died. Yet, they are the best at what they do. That is not opinion, that is fact - just take a look at their sales, and their stock evaluations.

We may not like it, but WallyWorld may be the single most important reason supporting much of the American standard of living today.

The key to shopping at Walmart is to know your products, and to buy what you need, not everything you see.

16. JackieA

A while back on this forum someone noted that Walmart has a very high profit margin they expect - 60%? So it really puts pressure on the manufacturer to make a product and still make money - so cheap/low quality is the outcome.
    I have found since not shopping at Walmart that there are stores ie Circuit City, whatever that they usually have good quality and "SALES/CLEARANCES"! I can buy clothes at Dillard's dept store on sale/clearances cheaper than a friend does here at the thrift store...Now I do live in the city and a lot more is available nearby than some of you country folk...
    JackieA

17. quietstar

quietstar Well-Known Member

BCR seems to have a reasonable approach to effective shopping at Walmart or anywhere else. I also "use" Walmart and Sams and avoid letting them use me by having an eye for quality and enough grown up self control to avoid buying on impulse. The wonderful American system allows us to vote with our dollars and any business that garners enough "votes" grows and expands. Like many, I enjoy the friendly, personal service found in neighborhood stores and belive the good ones that offer what people want will stay around. Truth is, small business had about a 70% failure rate long before Walmart came on the scene. Glen

18. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Darren, I think you nailed it. For years, I've purchased Hanes underwear. The quality was good, and I knew exactly what size to buy. However, the last 2 times I've bought them, they have begun to fall apart after only 5-6 washings. This is not acceptable. Now I have to find a new brand! And it won't be coming from Wal-Mart ... :rolleyes:

I'm curious as to whether companies like Hanes make a 'special' product just for sales to Wal-Mart? In other words, if I bought their product at, say, Kmart, would it be a better-quality version? (Can anyone shed any light on this?)

19. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

I agree Sylvar, Sam promoted "Made in America". Now it has become an extension of the Chinese economy. So if you shop at Wal-Mart, remember that you are financing China's war machine. Scary thought isn't it?

20. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

NEVER buy Wal Mart money orders.

There is only one thing that I use Wally World for

You can wire money from one store to another in about an hour. I sold some chickens to a fellow in Oregon. He wanted to make shipment happen before the weekend. He told me to go to the Wal Mart in my town and show them id and tell them he sent me funds. By the time I got there (30 minutes) it was waiting on me. It is very very cheap compared to other wire services like Western Union etc. I have used it every since then myself when possible. I get about 50 percent of my ebay payments this way. By pass paypal etc etc. I talked to the manager here and he lets me leave payments for up to five days that way if I have several coming in I dont have to drive down but once. I try to do all my auctions at the same time for the same amount of time. Easier to keep up with. Alot of the employees didnt even know they had the money service in the stores. As far as most of their regular product? JUNK you get what you pay for most times.