Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
You shouldn't feed too many raw eggs as it can cause a biotin deficiency in dogs. Lightly cooked (so the white is "white") should be ok.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I don't know what the "max" percentage is, but I feed around 3% to my cats. A bit less to the dogs-just the way my "recipes" come out.

Freeze those extra eggs. That's what I do. That way during the slow seasons I still have plenty of eggs for pet food.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
You freeze them without the shells - easiest way would be to crack a "portion" (however many you want to feed at each meal) into a dish, then put them into baggies and freeze.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I do just like pookshollow describes. If you want to feed the shells too, I'm sure you could crush them up and add them to the eggs before freezing.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
You shouldn't feed too many raw eggs as it can cause a biotin deficiency in dogs. Lightly cooked (so the white is "white") should be ok.

Untrue. If you feed the white with the yolk, it bablances out as the yolk is biotin rish, much more than the avidin can bind too. The problem comes when you feed egg whites only.

In prime egg laying season, I feed 2 eggs (with shells) about 4 days a week.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Shucks, you beat me to it. If you feed the whole egg, it is balanced. These crazy low cholesterol diets that have you only eat the whites of the eggs are actually unbalancing your diet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts