Another Raised Garden Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ozarkyehti, May 6, 2006.

1. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

I am building raised gardens with concrete block.

I'm not really excited about the naked concrete looks in my garden so I was thinking about putting a concrete stain on the outside of the blocks.

Wife would like a celery or sage green color so it will blend in with the garden.

I was wondering what color would be best.

I think a darker color would absorb the sun rays in the cool early spring to warm the soil quicker.

Anybody ever done something like this before?

Any suggestions or ideas?

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I'd forget the stain or color. I use woodchips in my paths to the tops of my "frames". When they rot, I have great soil to add to my beds or make others--kinda a big compost bin.

3. FourDeuce

FourDeuce Five of Seven Supporter

You might want to try making one bed out of concrete blocks before you commit to doing that for all your beds. I used the blocks around one of my beds and I HATED them. The concted blocks are just too hard and rough, and I kept scraping off skin every time I tried working around them. I also like to work barefoot in the garden, and those blocks are not friendly to bare feet. :grump: Most of my beds now have no border, and I like that better than concrete blocks. :dance:

4. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

so far, only 3 of my beds are concrete blocks, 3 high, with a flat block on top. i absolutely love them, if i had the money tomorrow, i'd have 45 more!!(will, someday) have you thought of making a rough concrete plaster over the outside, and painting a grass green? or, more to my liking, a sage green?
    for older people, like me, this type bed is the way to go-I can sit on the top, no bending over, and garden. they're the recommended 4' wide too.

5. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i just put in another raised/bordered bed yesterday. using concrete blocks is just too convenient. it is easy to top the blocks with a board, etc. they are uniform and fit nicely. i used concrete blocks for the dividing walls and old firebricks for the front. firebrick are a bit bigger than regular bricks and are more stable to stand on.

i had an area of nice soil just above my garden and on the other side of an old wire fence on the edge of a slight hill. i took rock, big and small, and made a rubble wall right at the wire fence and at the deep part of the slope. i put two rows of brick in the front and concrete block down the middle to divide it, one block deep. my beds are a bit deeper than the block but i did not want to double stack the block and i saved on excavation, lol.

i would like to take this oportunity to cuss at the person or people who buried their junk in that spot. i have a nice fingertip slice from an old broken bottle neck that was sticking partially out of the hard remaining "bank". i was manually scooping nice rich black loam with my hands and WHAM! SLICE! OUCH! even if the garbage one buries is inert, like broken glass, it may still harm someone someday. please dispose of your trash responsibly. :rolleyes: